The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Schmidt trade and return.

He seems like the most tradable at the moment? No?

O.J has played well imo.

Rathebone doesn't look out of place.

This year we will more than likely select a defenseman in the 1st.

Is he our highest reward trade chip?

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Freeridebc said:

He seems like the most tradable at the moment? No?

O.J has played well imo.

Rathebone doesn't look out of place.

This year we will more than likely select a defenseman in the 1st.

Is he our highest reward trade chip?

Thoughts?

I don't think Schmidt has fit in here very well, and isn't quite the player we thought he was.

I have no problem moving him for good value.

2 hours ago, nergish said:

I don't think Schmidt has fit in here very well, and isn't quite the player we thought he was.

I have no problem moving him for good value.

Schmidt is a great player and a recent Norris trophy candidate.   

Hire Gallant and deploy Schmidt like he was being used in Vegas.

It took Schmidt some time to adapt to his new team and of course, this year has been a s*** show for the Canucks.  More recently he appears to have settled in and is playing very well.  His left/right versatility is a significant factor, he brings a lot of leadership/energy to the team and is a solid dman; both offensively and defensively.  Overall, I think he's the teams best dman right now.

Canucks picked him up for a 3rd overall and his contract has 4 more years with a very fair salary cap. Such and awesome pick up for the team.

Without including the team's core, he clearly is the team's highest reward trade chip.  Miller is a comparable as well.

Both players would get a high return, but they would also be dearly missed by the team.  It's great collecting picks and prospects, but the team really needs to start getting some playoff experience.  Imo, they need to get into the playoffs next season, followed by a solid couple of rounds in the next.  By the 3rd season, they should be a contender.  With that in mind, the management needs to be very smart as to when they make a trade, as well as what they get in return.  It will be difficult to replace either player, but hopefully a promising young  C  or RD can be found.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like him, but if we could get a late 1st and clear almost 6 mil in cap we could go out and get a guy like Hamilton as a UFA. Worth exploring for sure. 

Hamilton would be awesome on our team, but I think for the Canucks to interest him, the deal would be very costly.  The Hurricanes will probably re-sign him; he is a major part of their d.  Regardless, I think he goes to a contending team and stays in the USA.

My question would be, what would be a return that would make moving him worthwhile?  Also I think the timing is crucial in that while we could draft a D-man who could play, this year's draft could also be a crapshoot and we might not acquire an NHL ready prospect.  What's more, we need to make sure Hamonic comes back and that we'd have another hard minutes RD who can share those minutes with Travis (I'm still iffy about Myers).  

For what it cost to acquire him, Schmidt's definitely been serviceable, and as mentioned above his left-right versatility also helps patch any roster holes (e.g. if any of the young LD prove to not be ready).  I also think that if Juolevi or Rathbone can take another step up while continuing their steady play, we could use them and Schmidt together to form a mobile shutdown pair, which could be immensely more valuable than getting a 1st when we'd just need to either spend money on signing an unknown fit or flip that acquired pick for another D-man anyways.

Hughes - (Hamonic/ newly signed RD)
(Juolevi/ Rathbone/ new LD) - Schmidt
(Rathbone/ Juolevi) - Myers   

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Hamilton would be awesome on our team, but I think for the Canucks to interest him, the deal would be very costly.  The Hurricanes will probably re-sign him; he is a major part of their d.  Regardless, I think he goes to a contending team and stays in the USA.

he would for sure, but if you move Nate and buy out Jake, there's the $. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like him, but if we could get a late 1st and clear almost 6 mil in cap we could go out and get a guy like Hamilton as a UFA. Worth exploring for sure. 

It's interesting for sure to consider trading schmidt.  If we can resign edler for 3 million times two years, and schmidt returns a young d or a late first, then I'm in for that.  If we don't have someone to play Schmidt's minutes though, then we should keep him.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he would for sure, but if you move Nate and buy out Jake, there's the $. 

if benning knows he's getting Hamilton then trading schmidt of what ever to move the cap is a good deal.  It's how we got schmidt, right?

Fans and media suggesting that we move Schmidt and Miller do not understand management’s plan in my opinion:

With respect to all of these JT Miller and Nate Schmidt proposals, I feel like many fans don’t truly understand why JB brought these guys in:

On October 1st 2022, those relatively low cap hits of Miller and Schmidt are going to come in extremely handy.  WHY?  Because - all of our bad/transitional contracts will be off the books (sans Myers).

1) Pettersson and Hughes will be on bridged deals.

2) Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Rathbone will be on ELC’s

3) Horvat, Miller, and Schmidt will be on relatively low cap friendly deals.

4) Boeser will still be a cost controlled asset

In other words, the Canucks will have a MAJOR chance of making some significant noise in 22-23 and Miller and Schmidt’s relatively low cap hits will play a major role in that.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

if benning knows he's getting Hamilton then trading schmidt of what ever to move the cap is a good deal.  It's how we got schmidt, right?

Tremendous in theory but how would Benning know that he’d be 100% guaranteed in landing Hamilton?

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Schmidt is traded, I think he gets +++ more than cap relief.  I'm just not sold on Hamilton coming to Vancouver, or the Canucks handling his huge cap hit.  If Schmidt is traded, it would have to be for a very good young d who is already playing in the NHL.  Edler is just not going to hold the fort without Schmidt and will likely be a bottom pairing/pk guy if he is re-signed.

It's really a tough decision for the GM.  If they can work out something with Hamilton it would be a coop, but without Schmidt, the left side becomes weak.

Hughes       Hamilton

Juolevi        Hamonic

Rathbone   Meyers

(Edler)?

See what I mean?  Well...unless they pick up Powers in the draft, that is.:towel:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's interesting for sure to consider trading schmidt.  If we can resign edler for 3 million times two years, and schmidt returns a young d or a late first, then I'm in for that.  If we don't have someone to play Schmidt's minutes though, then we should keep him.

yeah thats the rub. So say we move Nate and don't get Hamilton we have:

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone-Chatfield

pretty darn thin on experience. 

But buy out party boy Jake, trade Nate, we now have 8.5 mil in cap space to go shopping for right side D. So more than enough for Doogie.

But then we could make things really interesting and go for an offer sheet. Imagine offer sheeting Heiskanen 8.5 mil and really screwing over Dallas. Or Makar.

Of maybe less lofty ideas and just steal Cal Foote from Tampa, they wouldn't be able to match an offer sheet there either. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

oh man, I just had a scary thought, Jim moves Schmidt and signs Tyson Barrie to a long term deal :shock:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Fans and media suggesting that we move Schmidt and Miller do not understand management’s plan in my opinion:

With respect to all of these JT Miller and Nate Schmidt proposals, I feel like many fans don’t truly understand why JB brought these guys in:

On October 1st 2022, those relatively low cap hits of Miller and Schmidt are going to come in extremely handy.  WHY?  Because - all of our bad/transitional contracts will be off the books (sans Myers).

1) Pettersson and Hughes will be on bridged deals.

2) Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Rathbone will be on ELC’s

3) Horvat, Miller, and Schmidt will be on relatively low cap friendly deals.

4) Boeser will still be a cost controlled asset

In other words, the Canucks will have a MAJOR chance of making some significant noise in 22-23 and Miller and Schmidt’s relatively low cap hits will play a major role in that.  

I'm excited for what is to come, just need to solidify our bottom 6 and D. Add some playoff grit and soul 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Didn’t they trade Schmidt AFTER having signed AP? (Which is why they had to sell so low on Schmidt?)

I don’t remember the timing exactly, but I thought Vegas signed AP after they traded away Schmidt.  We can go over the cap by 10% in the summer, right?  

I looked back and we got Schmidt the same day Vegas announced signing AP.  I’m figuring AP had signed before we got Schmidt, even though it wasn’t announced until after the trade?

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1