The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Draft. Luke Hughes...

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

At this rate, if we keep losing or even manage just 1 more win, we will finish 4th worst, just one spot back of NJ. After the lotto balls drop, if NJ still picks before us, I imagine they draft Luke to reunite him with his older brother Jack as a Devil and if not, perhaps we select him if he's the BPA.

Nobody knows what the future holds but as it stands now, Luke Hughes has a chance to play with one of his brothers in the NHL-pretty cool stuff.

*If we win the lotto and pick 1st, I doubt we select LH. I think he will be very excited to see the draft selection order!

Technically we are 5th worse since Seattle gets the 3rd best chance by default 

• Sedinery 1
3 hours ago, Kumquats said:

Virtanen if from New Westminster. I knew there would be problems.. 

I live in New West, I over drink and am over sexed.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Clarke's a recently converted forward.  Not comfortable with that issue personally.

So he can be like a Brent Burns type player 

Hopefully Benning's decision is not guided by thoughts like "it would be cool stuff" or "look, there is someone's brother available".

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, joe-max said:

Hopefully Benning's decision is not guided by thoughts like "it would be cool stuff" or "look, there is someone's brother available".

Agreed. 

Nuck fans live in a fantasy world.

hell, the strategy worked so beautifully with sean pronger, steve kariya and fedor fedorov, how could we possibly go wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, tas said:

hell, the strategy worked so beautifully with sean pronger, steve kariya and fedor fedorov, how could we possibly go wrong? 

Or most recently another defense brother, Jordan Subban

• Hydration 1
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Or most recently another defense brother, Jordan Subban

thanks for that, I had successfully repressed those memories until now. 

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Clarke's a recently converted forward.  Not comfortable with that issue personally.

When he was 11 or something (can't remember the exact age but something like that)...wasn't it Jovo that only started playing hockey at that age?   Nothing to worry about.    What i do worry about is the right side is barren, and we already have a load of L side guys.     OJ is a lock at the is point, at least next season.     This is a strange draft and any of these guys could be the BPA.   Yes Powers has the edge of the pack given his size, easy to step right in.   A few go back to college next season, and most won't be able to step right in anyways.    6'2" 175- 185 lbs isn't big either, but average for a D really.   Hamhuis etc once filled in a little. 

That's LH, Clarke etc...Both exceptional skaters, puck distributors.    I'm fine with the BPA but the difference after Powers is very slim, taking the RHD makes a lot of sense organizationally, look at Seider, picked 15-20 spots before his rankings. 

• Hydration 2
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, joe-max said:

There is a certain marketability angle that does come into play - it is a business and filling the seats is part of it.  Other posters have said how this could backfire - Marc Staal was also stated as the " the best Staal" yet when he was drafted by some media types.    LH for sure could be.   OR just like the Staals, the first Hughes was the best one, and each one after that a tier lower then the one before who knows.   Or he could win 5 Norris trophies.    Which one does the PP?   If QHs isn't doing the PP what does he really add so far?  

Makes it a little tough if we drafted LH, and one needs to be traded two years later too .... there is upside, if he was a RHD it would be a slam dunk, and i suppose one could move to the other side and both could play the PP too... risk reward i guess. 

Edited by IBatch
30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

When he was 11 or something (can't remember the exact age but something like that)...wasn't it Jovo that only started playing hockey at that age?   Nothing to worry about.    What i do worry about is the right side is barren, and we already have a load of L side guys.     OJ is a lock at the is point, at least next season.     This is a strange draft and any of these guys could be the BPA.   Yes Powers has the edge of the pack given his size, easy to step right in.   A few go back to college next season, and most won't be able to step right in anyways.    6'2" 175- 185 lbs isn't big either, but average for a D really.   Hamhuis etc once filled in a little. 

That's LH, Clarke etc...Both exceptional skaters, puck distributors.    I'm fine with the BPA but the difference after Powers is very slim, taking the RHD makes a lot of sense organizationally, look at Seider, picked 15-20 spots before his rankings. 

To be fair a lot of us had Seider ranked higher than where his final rankings stood. I'll still give that I doubt any of us had Seider THAT high but I was still disappointed when he got drafted by Wings. In the end a few spots won't make a difference as long as you get your guy.

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Brandt Clarke over Hughes is a no brainer

Yes. If Hughes falls into our lap is the best player available when we pick, sure, take the little brother. But you take Power or Clarke before Luke. Don’t overreach due to the brother-thing. Too bad Power isn’t a RD though. That’s why I think Clarke is the best case scenario.

• Hydration 2
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, TGokou said:

To be fair a lot of us had Seider ranked higher than where his final rankings stood. I'll still give that I doubt any of us had Seider THAT high but I was still disappointed when he got drafted by Wings. In the end a few spots won't make a difference as long as you get your guy.

None of the scouting companies that make their livings ranking these guys,  had him that high.    Individuals like Button and McKenzie use these lists for their own analysis too.   THN and ISS  are commoningly used a a base line, GMs at the draft all have a copy of THN draft preview on the table or in their briefcase because they use the aggregate of ten NHL scouts rankings to create their final analysis, as well as heads of scouting departments, and have the ISS ranking right next to theirs. 

Seider came out of nowhere his draft year and worked his way into the low 20's for both.    Broberg vs Seider was a little debate, Broberg better skater puck mover, Seider decent all around and a RHD.    Yzerman actually went way off board with that pick,  one of the reasons we ended up with Podz, Broberg too, he was ranked in the teens.     As it turns out of course Stevie Y killed it.   Bringing some of his excellent drafting skills from TB with him maybe lol.    Seider is ranked higher then Podz is right now.  Around 6 best prospect (and won't be for much longer), Podz at 10-12 and that's with the next draft in there - both turned out great for us and them.  

Edit:  Yzerman came in and decided to start with a key position.   It was also an organizational pick and even if he just turns into a good top four D it was an excellent choice.    Holland couldn't go three cores in a row.    When he arrived they already had some very good prospects coming up, Zadina is getting his feet wet now.     Missing on QHs ... lucky us.    Seider reminds me a little of Ohlund.    Going to play over a 1000 games in this league almost for sure.   Trading Mantha was a bit of a statement that they are committed to rebuilding Detroit the right way.   

Im not sure if we don't need to buckle down and also make a trade for the future.   This draft absolutely will give us a chance of not having to do that if Podz is also a home run, and this one is as well.   Otherwise .... JB if he keeps his job had horseshoes up his you know what.   Team needs Podz to be a game breaker. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
10 hours ago, KirkSave said:

At this rate, if we keep losing or even manage just 1 more win, we will finish 4th worst, just one spot back of NJ. After the lotto balls drop, if NJ still picks before us, I imagine they draft Luke to reunite him with his older brother Jack as a Devil and if not, perhaps we select him if he's the BPA.

Nobody knows what the future holds but as it stands now, Luke Hughes has a chance to play with one of his brothers in the NHL-pretty cool stuff.

*If we win the lotto and pick 1st, I doubt we select LH. I think he will be very excited to see the draft selection order!

If the last few drafts are any indication, I bet we'll be drafting in 5th position. It's our lot, bank on it! <_<

• Hydration 2
9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He converted when he was 12. That's more than enough time to make the transition and, when you watch him on the ice, it's evident that it's not holding him back against his peers.