The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change is on the horizon...

Rate this topic

Tyster

I go by this with Aquilini:

Read the whole tweet, yes it was from a couple of months ago, but they knew this was going to be a hard season, and he gave full endorsement of Benning and Green, before the whole team got Covid.

Will be surprised if Benning and Green aren't back.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I would love to have Gillis back with the current scouting staff. NTC's are still better than high-salary contracts that nobody wants. Benning is the worst GM in the league, and arguably one of the worst General Managers in the post-lockout era. 

• RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I go by this with Aquilini:

Read the whole tweet, yes it was from a couple of months ago, but they knew this was going to be a hard season, and he gave full endorsement of Benning and Green, before the whole team got Covid.

Will be surprised if Benning and Green aren't back.

Any team could have made that tweet and it would be appropriate.

It's a garbage excuse.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

benning did draft a really good young core, but (maybe?) a new guy needs to come in to take the team to the next level.  Not too sure.  

Drafting is a team effort I've heard so I say a team of scouts drafted good.

Likewise under Gillis, a team of scouts drafted bad. 

How can you get better at being smart than hiring “The Professor” to be our new President?

Hall of famer Larionov has won everything in hockey there is to win.  Experience as a player, agent, GM, and coach.

Instant respect from his peers, the guy is a legend... and former team mate of guys who run other teams now.

I will keep beating this drum until it happens.

He can then pick an experienced GM and Coach of his choosing.  We have some good pieces to play his “possession” style of hockey idea.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

wasn't gillis arguably our most successful GM ever?  He did do a great job filling out a roster to support a younger core group, and provided an environment for winning.  I just don't know is he will come back here after how it ended for him?  Maybe FA will ask?

Well, I guess he did make some of our more memorable trades welcomed by all on CDC.

Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Zac Dalpe
Jeremy Welsh
September 29, 2013
Kellan Tochkin
2014 4th round pick
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Florida Panthers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Keith Ballard
Victor Oreskovich
June 25, 2010
Steve Bernier
Michael Grabner
2010 1st round pick (#25-Quinton Howden)
Florida_Panthers.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Quinton Howden…what coulda been:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm thinking the Panthers should have drafted Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle, Brock Nelson or Justin Faulk who were all still available when they took Howden. Pretty sure if we had retained the 25th overall pick that Gillis would have selected Tyler Toffoli though...:ph34r:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

benning did draft a really good young core, but (maybe?) a new guy needs to come in to take the team to the next level.  Not too sure.  

I think it's time yah... The next step needs to be with a GM with a new perspective.  I've been a benning supporter all the way along.  But just like when Gillis took over from the Burke/Nonis era to complete the puzzle, I think we need someone else to take this great young core and fill in the holes with the right pieces.  

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Gillis gave out NTC's and NMC's like they were candy at Halloween. There are circumstances where you need to use them, but he over used them in a big way. It made it hard when we changed management, to clear out aging players for draft picks and start again.  As much as fans want to think you can just move guys regardless, if someone has an NTC and says, "NO, not waiving", you're kind of screwed.

You mean like the ones given AR LE sutter Pearson beagle Myers I’m sure I’m missing a dozen going back to when this failure (Jb) got hired. . Max term Max value and trade protection. 

they would  be hard pressed to find a Gm that would do worse than Jim Benning. 

Jb was just  like most of the players he over paid for a simple place holder till something better comes along and at this point anything is better. 

Edited by combover

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the article doesn't cite any sources... just says he was "on the phone"... with who? 

maybe Aquilini will make changes, but why wait until the season is over? you'd think if Jim was on the way out it would have been done by now.

Or after the draft.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well might as well just trade draft picks. They are better than 90% of Gillis' picks. 

He might be able to run things. But he is awful drafting.

(Bo and Hutton are exceptions)

I think we'd see Gorton before Gillis. 

It’ll never happen, but a Gorton GM, with Gillis President, Canucks front office would have some definite potential, especially if they were given the chance to do a wholesale restructuring of both hockey ops and the business side.

Need more than a Sekeres rumour, however, before taking anything seriously, when it comes to today’s #FireBenning story having any kind of legs.

• Vintage 1

If their wives & kids allow them, it's high-time to bring in the Bro-combo as dual-GM's! Henrik & Daniel are as committed as humanly poss.

Set up that amazingly clever negotiation tactic, with rival GM's..."Did I say that? Maybe you were chattin' with that OTHER guy!" Work the spin-cycle with 2 telephones, until excess 1st rounders are sent our way. Other 31 won't know what hit'em!  :emot-parrot:

• Haha 3