The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change is on the horizon...

Rate this topic

Jim Benning has 2 yrs remaining on his contract he will be back...

Green will be gone..

Will be interesting type of coach they hire with so many young player...Need someone that can work with younger core..

22 minutes ago, IRR said:

The sports media / a huge chunk of this fanbase kill me...chase Benning and Green out of town, but how long until they're start b******* & complaining about the new GM & Coach. No owner, president, gm, coach or player is perfect, so these people will never be happy. It's happened over & over, over the years. Rinse and repeat! 

Yeah, some tweaking would be more prudent (imo) than a scorch earth approach; a good place to start would be a coaching/staff change and a team president hire for Aquaman.   Hopefully, this losing season would not be wasted and this off season will reveal alot about Aquaman & JB.

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Green will be gone..

Will be interesting type of coach they hire with so many young player...Need someone that can work with younger core..

Rocky Thompson? The Canucks settled for Cull to coach Utica because Thompson chose to sign with Vegas' AHL affiliate instead. Thompson is ready to coach an NHL team now.

• Hydration 1

Gillis traded away young propects and draft pick? Look how depth chart was when he got fired???

Horvat - Gaunce - Rodin - Jensen -Corrado - Hutton.... Just awful...

BIG No To Gillis......

1.Quinn

2.Benning

3.Burke

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Gillis traded away young propects and draft pick? Look how depth chart was when he got fired???

BIG No To Gillis......

1.Quinn

2.Benning

3.Burke

Yeah, no chance he comes back while Aquaman is the owner.

Just now, wildcam said:

Pronger would be my pick if your replacing Benning...

Eric Tulsky would be a true “change” pick for GM. 

Plus, it would be really fun to watch half of CDC have their heads explode when the team was handed over to complete egghead, “never played the game” type, analytics guy with a genius IQ and several advanced degrees.

Basically, the anti-Benning. :lol:

(Although, in all seriousness, Tulsky is one of the fastest rising talents in NHL management, likely the heir apparent to Don Waddell in Carolina, if he’s not tapped for a GM role somewhere else first. Surrounded by the right AGMs and management team, and possibly with a name brand “hockey man” in the President’s chair, Tulsky would actually be a very exciting GM pick IMO.)

• Sedinery 1
14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Eric Tulsky would be a true “change” pick for GM. 

Plus, it would be really fun to watch half of CDC have their heads explode when the team was handed over to complete egghead, “never played the game” type, analytics guy with a genius IQ and several advanced degrees.

Basically, the anti-Benning. :lol:

(Although, in all seriousness, Tulsky is one of the fastest rising talents in NHL management, likely the heir apparent to Don Waddell in Carolina, if he’s not tapped for a GM role somewhere else first. Surrounded by the right AGMs and management team, and possibly with a name brand “hockey man” in the President’s chair, Tulsky would actually be a very exciting GM pick IMO.)

Interesting.

Very interesting.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Man that excludes most of the current management  LOL

Not to mention CDC...50% are below average and 70% are fools... good thing 95% are good people. 

37 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Green will be gone..

You never know, reason no word on Green extension could be because their bringing in a new gm to hire his own coach.

• Hydration 1
Posted (edited)

If JB is fired I think the last nail in his coffin was letting Taffoli get away while keeping Jake instead. TT lighting it up on a cheapish contract while Jake, well you know. 

Edited by rekker
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, rekker said:

If JB is fired I think the last nail in his coffin was letting Taffoli get away while keeping Jake instead. TT lighting it up on a cheapish contract while Jake, well you know. 

When you give up a 2nd and a good prospect for a really good, established top 6 player on an expiring deal you have to do everything you can to retain that player unless you are a team like Pittsburgh back in the day or Tampa who are a piece away from winning the cup and can afford to dish out picks and prospects to get you over the hump. Benning defenders can can justify not resigning Toffoli with any angle they want but in reality he would look damn good on Bo’s wing with Pearson. 

• Upvote 2
53 minutes ago, wildcam said:

BIG No To Gillis......

1.Quinn

2.Benning

3.Burke

I wonder if anyone else here has the guts or brains to admit Gillis's worst mistake was wasting 56 million dollars signing the Sedins for 4 more years. That was suffering. Purely a 4 year delay in a necessary rebuild if winning a Stanley cup was of any interest.

Don't see us firing Benning. His drafting has been exceptional. He said all along that he'd pay extra money for leadership. Now that most of our young guys have a few years under their belts, I think he will be more shrewd and prudent with our cap space.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Alflives said:

wasn't gillis arguably our most successful GM ever?  He did do a great job filling out a roster to support a younger core group, and provided an environment for winning.  I just don't know is he will come back here after how it ended for him?  Maybe FA will ask?

Mike Gillis took over a team that was already built for success and had most of the core pieces in place.  Pat Quinn on the other hand had to start from scratch and built his own core of players and went to the finals with his team.  Big difference I would say.  Quinn is our best GM ever.  

• Thanks 3
23 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Don't see us firing Benning. His drafting has been exceptional. He said all along that he'd pay extra money for leadership. Now that most of our young guys have a few years under their belts, I think he will be more shrewd and prudent with our cap space.

Yup.  People who think Benning is getting fired are delusional.  Aquilini is a businessman.  He's not going to pay for 2 GM's for the next 2 years just to make some posters on CDC happy.

• Hydration 1