The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change is on the horizon...

Rate this topic

Tyster

11 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Don't see us firing Benning. His drafting has been exceptional. He said all along that he'd pay extra money for leadership. Now that most of our young guys have a few years under their belts, I think he will be more shrewd and prudent with our cap space.

Do you think Pettersson and Hughes can lead us to a cup? 

40 minutes ago, Pickly said:

When you give up a 2nd and a good prospect for a really good, established top 6 player on an expiring deal you have to do everything you can to retain that player unless you are a team like Pittsburgh back in the day or Tampa who are a piece away from winning the cup and can afford to dish out picks and prospects to get you over the hump. Benning defenders can can justify not resigning Toffoli with any angle they want but in reality he would look damn good on Bo’s wing with Pearson. 

I'm not against JB as I think he's done some good things. But this, this one stings. I think it's ultimately going to cost him his job.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup.  People who think Benning is getting fired are delusional.  Aquilini is a businessman.  He's not going to pay for 2 GM's for the next 2 years just to make some posters on CDC happy.

Yeah the people that think flying a plane over the city will get him fired are delusional.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Pickly said:

When you give up a 2nd and a good prospect for a really good, established top 6 player on an expiring deal you have to do everything you can to retain that player unless you are a team like Pittsburgh back in the day or Tampa who are a piece away from winning the cup and can afford to dish out picks and prospects to get you over the hump. Benning defenders can can justify not resigning Toffoli with any angle they want but in reality he would look damn good on Bo’s wing with Pearson. 

Add in the fact that Toffoli was ultimately willing to sign a very reasonable contract at $4.25M AAV and with zero trade clauses attached.

That’s a very saleable asset and one that could be cashed in, whenever needed, yielding a tidy return (probably right now could easily get a first rounder plus another piece or two).

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I guess you fellas never heard of Covid... the trade was made before the salary cap flatlined. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I can hear the NTCs from hear. 

The Canucks have ten such contracts currently on the books either given out by or acquired by Benning. I think those are the ones you’re “hearing”.

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

I guess you fellas never heard of Covid... the trade was made before the salary cap flatlined. 

But Benning overpaid  both Holtby and Virtanen after the salary cap flatlined. Easily enough money left over to sign Toffoli and a competent back up goalie.

• Cheers 1

This Gillis hate is so pathetic.

The same people talking smack would have been volunteering to build a statue of him if we won Game 7.

Gillis built the best Canucks team EVER and came within 60 minutes twice of winning the cup.

All this Gillis slander is ridiculous. The same people giving him slander were cheering their hearts out and talking about how great the team was in 2011. Two-faced losers.

8 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Gillis was horrible at drafting and left the cupboard absolutely bare, if anything the success for those teams was thanks to AV, who I believe is maybe the best coach we've ever had.

Well, I'm a bit tired of the Gillis horrible and Benning terrific at drafting.

They both had a whole team of scouts.

So it depends more on how good the scouts before them are.

10 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think of Gillis as an overly good GM. I think he really rode the tails of the team that was mostly assembled by Nonis and Burke. He did add some nice support pieces, but for the most part, the core of the team that went to the finals in 2011, was assembled by deals that were executed by other GM's.

I think Gillis was better suited to acting as President of a team, I think he had a generally good vision, but would have been better to bring in an experienced General Manager to handle trades etc.

I see this article in the Province as unsubstantiated click bait to boost sales of the paper. I think that Benning will be back next season, and I think Green will be as well.

This season was an unprecedented situation where we got slammed by pretty much every side possible on injuries and on schedule complications.

To me, this season was a write off before it began, I think we'll be in a much better space next year, there will be changes on the team, of course, but I think most of those will be in support players around the overall core.

You made too many excuses for Benning who has missed playoffs in 6 years yet gave zero credit to Gillis who won 2 presidents trophy and got the team to game 7 of the finals. Fact is that a good GM builds a team for a cup run. Gillis made many great trades and signings like Ehrhoff, Sundin, Samuelsson, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Demitra, Torres etc. Those support players were key factors to our cup run and made the team the best. While look at Bennings "support" players like Roussel, Sutter, Myers, Benn, Eriksson, Gudbranson, Hawerlyuk, Del zotto, Spooner etc. I mean none of the support players Benning brought in have much quality and they all have major flaws like speed or scoring or IQ. Benning is just a glorified scout that should not be a GM. That is the difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the article doesn't cite any sources... just says he was "on the phone"... with who? 

maybe Aquilini will make changes, but why wait until the season is over? you'd think if Jim was on the way out it would have been done by now.

Yeah cite sources eh

No that would require honesty 

Wow, this Gillis slander is so pathetic.

He built the best Canucks team in franchise history and came within 60 mins of winning the cup twice. The same guys talking smack about Gillis are probably the same guys that were boasting about how amazing the team was back in 2011.

If we won a cup, he would have a statue outside Rogers Arena and likely still be the GM.

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup.  People who think Benning is getting fired are delusional.  Aquilini is a businessman.  He's not going to pay for 2 GM's for the next 2 years just to make some posters on CDC happy.

Damage to the brand could cost far more than paying 2 GMs.  Fans have to want to invest money and if they don’t believe in the product or the direction they might pull back their spending.

Seattle is also joining the league. So called band wagoners/ casual fans bring in money too and Vancouver can’t afford to lose them all to Seattle.  If the product is disappointing they are more likely to jump ship.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

If JB is fired I think the last nail in his coffin was letting Taffoli get away while keeping Jake instead. TT lighting it up on a cheapish contract while Jake, well you know. 

Agree!   That was the dumbest screw-up I've seen in many years.   For that alone, he MUST be fired.  That was such a F'up that my blood pressure blows the gauge off the wall when I think of how he signed that useless boat anchor Lazy Jake instead of TT after trading a 2nd rounder to boot, especially after we've waited years to see if Jake would show up one day and he never did and now he's likely headed to Prison.    Maybe JB can be bunk mate with Jake in Prison.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

Covid affected every team in NHL when cap flatlined.

Why is Bennings situation any different from par example Torontos?

35 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Agree!   That was the dumbest screw-up I've seen in many years.   For that alone, he MUST be fired.  That was such a F'up that my blood pressure blows the gauge off the wall when I think of how he signed that useless boat anchor Lazy Jake instead of TT after trading a 2nd rounder to boot, especially after we've waited years to see if Jake would show up one day and he never did and now he's likely headed to Prison.    Maybe JB can be bunk mate with Jake in Prison.

For me it was Tanev and Stecher. Two great defenders on right side shuffled away.

Very hard to replace them. 

• Upvote 1