The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change is on the horizon...

Rate this topic

Tyster

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

Nonis brought us Luongo, arguably the best goalie we have had and a Stanley Cup run. I give Nonis more credit then Gillis

OMG, Nonis is nothing more than being Burkes' sloppy second.  Please don't get me going on that guy!

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG, Nonis is nothing more than being Burkes' sloppy second.  Please don't get me going on that guy!

that's ridiculous. the guy was gm for 3 seasons plus the lockout and got schneider, edler, hansen, bourdon, luongo, plus drafted grabner who has been a successful nhl player.

• Upvote 1

If money was not an issue, this is what I would love to see with the Canucks:

Bring in a President of Hockey Operations/Alternate Governor.  Best option: John Davidson.  Honorable mention: Mike Gillis (I like the idea of having someone with a law degree in this position...especially in dealing with NHL front office).  Would love to see Brian Burke (also a lawyer) but that's not possible.  Let this be the position that deals NHL admin/operational issues, sets the long term vision for the organization, deal with ownership on a daily basis.

General Manager: Try to pry George McPhee (also a lawyer) out of Vegas (bring him home to where he started his hockey management career).  Not likely to happen.  So, target Dale Tallon.  His fingerprints are all over the current Panthers team and the 'hawks Stanley Cup teams.  Would be another homecoming of sorts.

AGM: bring back Laurence Gillman.  One of the best capologists of our time.  Bring in Kevin Bieksa as well and groom him to be the next GM.  A lawyer and a finance major.  Great combination.  Get rid of Weisbrod.  Not sure what Chris Gear does.

Head of Pro Scouting: I have no idea who would be a good candidate, but this is one area where the Canucks current regime has failed.  Vrbata, Loui, Beagle, Roussel plus a bunch of others all signed after their expiry date.  Brutal, and needs a significant upgrade.

Head of Amateur Scouting: offer Jimbo this position.  This is Jimbo's pay grade (no disrespect to those in this position). If Jimbo balks, let him walk and do everything to get Judd Brackett back.

Head Coach: I would bring Travis Green back; if not, I think John Stevens or Gerard Gallant would be good options.

Assistant Coaches: Give Doug Jarvis a more prominent role; Baumgartner and Brown - they need to be replaced.

And most importantly, sign IAN CLARK to a million year contract extension.

EDIT: as per Elliotte Friedman, word is the Aquilinis have reached out to Geoff Courtnall for advice on his opinion on re-establishing consumer confidence.  BTW, Geoff Courtnall was the guy that recommended Gillis for GM position way back when.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hey, I'm not saying he was a good GM, he wasn't, but he did bring us Luongo and thats more than Gillis did. The only credit outside of Luo is he was part of the management team who brought us the Sedins and helped built the team Gillis benefited from

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Totally agree about the cycles that teams go through.

However, it’s also highly unusual for a team to go through a down/rebuilding phase like the Canucks have, for the past seven years, and keep the same GM. It’s much more common for a team with similar results to be on their second or even third management group, by this point in time. 

I’d be interested to hear of any example within the past 25 years of a GM remaining at the helm after his tenure yielding similar results to JB’s.

I’ve never been one of the people actively rooting for Benning to be fired, but I’ve also been somewhat baffled by his ability to remain unscathed and secure in his position as Canucks GM. Just based on the norms, around the league, and the standards most GMs are held to, Benning could easily have been fired several times over already.

He’s really been the cat with nine lives in Vancouver.

Why though.   Second or Third really?   So a team needs a new GM at the low make  a new GM every 3.5 years? Or every 2.3 years?  No they do not. 

We need someone like Jannik Hansen back. If any of you have followed his radio spots you'd have heard his bang on analysis. 

As a career 3rd liner he he's had to have a pragmatic view point as to improving team chemistry. 

He pulled himself off the 1st line with the Sedin's because he knew that he wasn't the right fit. That's a team first mentality. 

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If money was not an issue, this is what I would love to see with the Canucks:

Bring in a President of Hockey Operations/Alternate Governor.  Best option: John Davidson.  Honorable mention: Mike Gillis (I like the idea of having someone with a law degree in this position...especially in dealing with NHL front office).  Would love to see Brian Burke (also a lawyer) but that's not possible.  Let this be the position that deals NHL admin/operational issues, sets the long term vision for the organization, deal with ownership on a daily basis.

General Manager: Try to pry George McPhee (also a lawyer) out of Vegas (bring him home to where he started his hockey management career).  Not likely to happen.  So, target Dale Tallon.  His fingerprints are all over the current Panthers team and the 'hawks Stanley Cup teams.  Would be another homecoming of sorts.

AGM: bring back Laurence Gillman.  One of the best capologists of our time.  Bring in Kevin Bieksa as well and groom him to be the next GM.  A lawyer and a finance major.  Great combination.  Get rid of Weisbrod.  Not sure what Chris Gear does.

Head of Pro Scouting: I have no idea who would be a good candidate, but this is one area where the Canucks current regime has failed at.  Vrbata, Loui, Beagle, Roussel plus a bunch of others all signed after their expiry date.  Brutal, and needs a significant upgrade.

Head of Amateur Scouting: offer Jimbo this position.  This is Jimbo's pay grade (no disrespect to those in this position). If Jimbo balks, let him walk and do everything to get Judd Brackett back.

Head Coach: I would bring Travis Green back; if not, I think John Stevens or Gerard Gallant would be good options.

Assistant Coaches: Give Doug Jarvis a more prominent role; Baumgartner and Brown - they need to be replaced.

And most importantly, sign IAN CLARK to a million year contract extension.

110% agree with all your takes except for Burke. I don't want his overbearing arrogance back in this market.

Mike Gillis I would support as President of Hockey Operations but not as Team President/Alternate Governor. The latter position should go to someone like John Davidson who has outstanding PR skills.

However, the most important thing is for Luigi Aquilini to remove Francesco as chairman and out of CSE and replace him with Roberto. Roberto is the most qualified in running a business and is very-well respected in the community despite his family name. When the Griffiths, who had their fair share of criticism as owners during the 80's, hired Pat Quinn as "superboss", they gave The Big Irishman the keys to the entire operation and allowed him to run the Canucks organization in the way that he saw fit. And look what happened....success on the ice, the upgrading of the uniforms while keeping the popular Skate crest, developing the Canucks Alumni and building involvement in the community, especially with sick and terminally ill children.

Very similar leadership that Quinn brought to Vancouver needs to happen again.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why though.   Second or Third really?   So a team needs a new GM at the low make  a new GM every 3.5 years? Or every 2.3 years?  No they do not. 

Nobody’s saying there’s a rule that you have to replace GMs every 2-3 years, just because you feel like it. 

But going 7 years without a replacement is unusual. Especially if that team is struggling, and the Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the league (26th by points percentage), under Benning.

It’s just surprising to me that Benning is currently the 10th longest tenured GM in the NHL, despite the on-ice results.

Most GMs don’t last that long. Especially when they lose.

Looking around the league, since Benning was hired, Buffalo is on their 3rd GM, Edmonton their 4th, New Jersey their 3rd, Ottawa their 2nd, Arizona their 4th, Florida their 4th (Tallon x2), Toronto their 3rd, Philadelphia their 2nd, Colorado their 2nd, Islanders their 2nd, LA Kings their 2nd, Minnesota their 3rd, et cetera, et cetera (I’m getting bored looking this up, but you get the point).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

I think if ownership was looking at making a change of management, Pearson wouldn't have been re-signed. That decision would have been left to a new GM.

Aqualini has faith in GMJB, there is a plan in place and they are following it. Fans are going to have get used to that.

41 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think if ownership was looking at making a change of management, Pearson wouldn't have been re-signed. That decision would have been left to a new GM.

Aqualini has faith in GMJB, there is a plan in place and they are following it. Fans are going to have get used to that.

Then basically next year, fans should have very low expectations 

11 minutes ago, Tyster said:

Fans already do have low expectations, they have for years.

That's the only reason why this garbage has been allowed to continue on.

Apathy set in a while ago.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Tyster said:

This has been an unusual year. To say that fans should have low expectations is like saying that you should always expect the tide to be low, because it was yesterday.

This is a much better core than our record makes it appear. Some of these guys are still struggling with the after effects of Covid.

Edited by VegasCanuck

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's a terrible take - whatever quote your making up.   Just terrible.   Leadership is a massive intangible.   Sutter had called out quite a few of the goof tweeners we've had over the years...overpaid yes, but not at the time, not many complained about it back then, Sutter does play like his name sake. Balls.   Hope he comes back too, and takes over Beagles spot.   The Sutter legacy is also in his genes.   

Uh, yes they did?

What is it with this place and thinking all of Benning's moves were applauded when first made but only look bad in hindsight?

WhO cOuLD hAVe knOwn'!:?!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Shoulda coulda woulda, I don't dwell on what could have been, I think OJ was a great choice and he would have been in the line up by now if it weren't for his injuries

So for the mistakes, should coulda woulda don't dwell.

But point out all the good things.

I mean, I can appreciate the positivity but this type of thinking makes it completely impossible to evaluate the job someone is doing objectively.

14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

So for the mistakes, should coulda woulda don't dwell.

But point out all the good things.

I mean, I can appreciate the positivity but this type of thinking makes it completely impossible to evaluate the job someone is doing objectively.

Mistakes? What player doesn't make mistakes? Isn't Hughes full of mistakes every game  or are we watching different teams? Edler's middle name is mistakes and most of vets make mistakes all the time, like Miller? Cut the guy some friggin slack, OJ hasn't been on the ice for along enough period of time to say he would be a real liability, and from what I've seen so far, its nothing but positive

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Mistakes? What player doesn't make mistakes? Isn't Hughes full of mistakes every game  or are we watching different teams? Edler's middle name is mistakes and most of vets make mistakes all the time, like Miller? Cut the guy some friggin slack, OJ hasn't been on the ice for along enough period of time to say he would be a real liability, and from what I've seen so far, its nothing but positive

Talking about the GM... not the players.

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Talking about the GM... not the players.

Well then replace the player or players I had mentioned with a GM or GM's other then the comment about OJ

What I'm saying is no one bats 100% Owners, Presidents, GM's or players, we all make mistakes

If Canucks where in a different city and market i swear they would be a better team. The Media and stupid fan are the reason bad moves and bad contracts happen. 

example? Luongo moving outa Vancouver... it was all BS media and stupid fans made that happen. 

now theres Spazzy Fans and media over reacting Canucks missing playoffs in a Covid season with Petey missing over half the games. forgetting the Canucks a few months back playing the bubble playoffs. 

iam a Canucks fan but im not a fan of Canucks fans. They’re mostly whiny candy eaters. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, gurn said:

Nope, not the only thing at all.

His trading is getting better- Miller and Schmidt as recent evidence

His free agency signing is getting better, see Hamonic as recent evidence.

Seems the closer this team gets to being good, the better Benning gets.

Or maybe it's easier and cheaper to sign players to a potential up and comer; than a team that is spirallling down to the bottom of a rebuild cycle.

I remember a year or so ago, someone saying that Benning shouldn't be learning on the job. Well, guess what? What exactly is Green doing? AV? So many others, whether it's in the hockey world or everyday business? JB has improved. Is he perfect? Who is? The point is, as much as people want to put him under a microscope and tear him apart, he's done a pretty admirable job. Rather him than Chiarelli. 

• Upvote 1