The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 15, 12:30 p.m. l SNP | PLAYOFFS EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

People, even Benning, put too much stock in guys scoring in late season, mean nothing games against teams trying to preserve themselves for the playoffs though. 

Highmore is still a bottom 6 guy on a good team (lol someone said he is going to be a stud). Boyd is still a guy who really should not be on an NHL roster full time. 

Mottes a stud. I was never talking about scoring, just excited he scored. Highmore is on contract for 700k next year. I ain’t worried what stock JB had in him. Highmore had a solid playoffs last year. Point is I haven’t written him off as opposed to the Toronto waiver picks 

• Cheers 2

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Yes really, virtually no real scouting this year across all leagues and literally none for the OHL. 

Scouts have been scouting these guys since they were like 15.

They know which ones are a level above for the most part. 

Power is a giant who can skate exceptionally well. He’s a player you can build a D core around.

• Huggy Bear 1

Some opportunity to really revamp the bottom 6 next season... maybe guys like Boyd and Highmore can be a part of it. 

Also, always nice to see Demko put on a clinic.  A full year of dialled in Demko and I like our chances of getting back to the playoffs.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Do you think he is going to score a lot playing with Sutter and Hawryluk? Doubtful. 

He is a decent player. I like him in abottom 6 role on this team over probably anyone but a healthy Motte. 

But trying to turn him into a top 6 player is just more of the same approach that limits the upside of this team.

They’re not trying to turn him to a top six player they’re auditioning him for next season. Amazing how much you whiff on such a simple concept.

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I wonder if some see the irony of wanting to be bad to try to get better.

There's got to be a better way.

Problem is Green playing the vets still, making it like its game 7 of the stanley cup finals instead of playing our younger players more to see what ee have. So we miss out on player evaluation, miss out on good draft pick for what? Winning this game with the vets sitting would be one thing but winning it with waiver pickups and washed up vets that probably wont be with us next season accomplishes nothing.

I think some people "rely" on a pick being a "stud" player based on where they're picked.  Reasonable, but no guarantee.

What is also important but overlooked - these guys.  How they develop and if they hang their heads and lose out, it does NOTHING for THEIR game.  You could sacrifice some of the studs already here for an unknown.  They're playing a relaxed game that's fun and hey....they're beating the McDavids quite handily.  So don't count them out or overlook for the greener grass.

There's a balance to be struck.  You hear the guys celebrating the goals?  This matters to them and their game.  That they don't feel like losers but can end the season knowing they did so with dignity and pride.

We get caught up in the shiny new toy.  The saviour.  I'd like to save some of the ones here, in place, and this year has tried to grind them down.  For me...it's all about them, first and foremost.  They have to build that up from within...not wishin' and hopin' about a guy who'll come in years down the road as a "maybe".

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Do you think he is going to score a lot playing with Sutter and Hawryluk? Doubtful. 

He is a decent player. I like him in abottom 6 role on this team over probably anyone but a healthy Motte. 

But trying to turn him into a top 6 player is just more of the same approach that limits the upside of this team.

Who is trying to turn him in to a top 6 player? He's getting a lot of minutes right now because he is one of the only players that still has any energy.

Should we just keep throwing out the guys that are completely gassed?

• Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Scouts have been scouting these guys since they were like 15.

They know which ones are a level above for the most part. 

Power is a giant who can skate exceptionally well. He’s a player you can build a D core around.

Not at all worried with this scouting staff picking 5-9 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron44 said:

Mottes a stud. I was never talking about scoring, just excited he scored. Highmore is on contract for 700k next year. I ain’t worried what stock JB had in him. Highmore had a solid playoffs last year. Point is I haven’t written him off as opposed to the Toronto waiver picks 

Motte's injuries are starting to become a concern.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think some people "rely" on a pick being a "stud" player based on where they're picked.  Reasonable, but no guarantee.

What is also important but overlooked - these guys.  How they develop and if they hang their heads and lose out, if does NOTHING for THEIR game.  You could sacrifice some of the studs already here for an unknown.

There's a balance to be struck.  You hear the guys celebrating the goals?  This matters to them and their game.  That they don't feel like losers but can end the season knowing they did so with dignity and pride.

We get caught up in the shiny new toy.  The saviour.  I'd like to save some of the ones here, in place, and this year has tried to grind them down.  For me...it's all about them, first and foremost.  They have to build that up from within...not from a guy who'll come in years down the road as a "maybe".

You mean to tell me you dont want another virtanen?

• Cheers 1