The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 15, 12:30 p.m. l SNP | PLAYOFFS EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

They may be aware of it but it doesn’t mean Benning doesn’t think he can sneak one of them past Seattle.

Lets not forget this is a guy that easily could have lost Markstrom on waivers.

No team was claiming Markstrom then, and no one did, he needed a lot of work to get where he is now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t know if I agree but I understand that argument. Especially the couple years down the road point. Cap space would be ideal but I can’t see us just exposing in for that. 

We already need RH defencemen. I find Myers mobile actually I’d say he’s a great skater but as far as using his body more idk refs seem to have it in for him there. He has one great reach obviously and a leader on the team. After what happened last summer and the start of this year. Keeping glue guys around is probably a good idea.

I just feel like we could have someone fill in on the short term while we develop a core RHD onto the team. I think you can agree that Myers probably doesn’t fit the long term plans right?

What if Eriksson decides he’s coming back no matter what? That’s 5 mil tied up all season for him. Basically another wasted season where we can’t upgrade our forward group and likely can’t score enough to win.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

No team was claiming Markstrom then, and no one did, he needed a lot of work to get where he is now. 

Hindsight.

A team could have easily snagged him. It was a risk there’s no denying that. 

Clarke was the game changer for him. Could have happened somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've been on team tank for a while, I'd rather have a high pick. I'd rather us slide to end the season, losing em all, but I'm not gonna complain about a win either as the guys are clearly happier when they win. 

I'll be too busy with my practicum to watch any of the games anyway, I haven't been able to watch one in weeks. 

Hoping for lottery luck, but realistically this franchise doesn't get much of that. Any draft related luck we've had in recent years stems from other teams making questionable decisions resulting in dropping players (Hughes/Podz). Obviously Pettersson and Boeser were home runs, but I credit them to scouting more than luck. 

I’d rather have a high pick too but I also can’t watch the team suffer. They have pride, fighting for jobs next year etc. We’ve lost a a a lot this year. We are getting a top 10 pick and I know we will be fine there. Top 5 that would sure be nice but you know we would drop to 7 anyway lol. I won’t ever get excited about that sorta thing ever again. I will get excited when I know where we are picking and go from there.

I like to bug team tank but I get it we all just want to have a better team in the future 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Most of the different youtube videos ive been watching on seattles expansion draft has Gadjovich being picked by them. Like wth get lost

Gotta protect him.

Yea he could amount to nothing. But could you imagine he ends up being that nasty net front presence that we’ve been looking for for the last 7 years?

Not worth the gamble at all.

• Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Hindsight.

A team could have easily snagged him. It was a risk there’s no denying that. 

Clarke was the game changer for him. Could have happened somewhere else.

No, I said as much then, he was a project. And he wasn’t claimed so the point is moot anyways. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

No, I said as much then, he was a project. And he wasn’t claimed so the point is moot anyways. 

And you could say Gadjovich is a project too.

What happens if he goes the route of Markstrom? Then how would it look.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Most of the different youtube videos ive been watching on seattles expansion draft has Gadjovich being picked by them. Like wth get lost

Just now, DeNiro said:

Gotta protect him.

Yea he could amount to nothing. But could you imagine he ends up being that nasty net front presence that we’ve been looking for for the last 7 years?

Not worth the gamble at all.

This is assuming we don’t send an asset their way to pick someone else. Benning is a lot more savy than people give him credit for. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’d rather have a high pick too but I also can’t watch the team suffer. They have pride, fighting for jobs next year etc. We’ve lost a a a lot this year. We are getting a top 10 pick and I know we will be fine there. Top 5 that would sure be nice but you know we would drop to 7 anyway lol. I won’t ever get excited about that sorta thing ever again. I will get excited when I know where we are picking and go from there.

I like to bug team tank but I get it we all just want to have a better team in the future 

That's just it, whether someone's team tank or not I see it as simply having different takes on how to get what's best for the team going forward. Maybe it's going out on a positive note, maybe it's the same of a door which results in movement and a higher pick. Hard to say, it's all out of our hands regardless of how much we debate this or that. 

Yeah, things will start to crystalize more once we've got an idea of where we're actually drafting. The draft is gonna be tough this year as players have been harder to scout, maybe a gem drops. Maybe we find gold. I just hope we get a good player, we could certainly use one going forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This is assuming we don’t send an asset their way to pick someone else. Benning is a lot more savy than people give him credit for. 

So give away a 2nd for free? That’s just as bad.

Picks and prospects are a non starter at this point. We’ll need those for when we’re actually ready to challenge hopefully in 3 or 4 years.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just feel like we could have someone fill in on the short term while we develop a core RHD onto the team. I think you can agree that Myers probably doesn’t fit the long term plans right?

What if Eriksson decides he’s coming back no matter what? That’s 5 mil tied up all season for him. Basically another wasted season where we can’t upgrade our forward group and likely can’t score enough to win.

We scored at a pretty good pace last year. I guess having Petey will do that. We basically have the same forward group. I mean we were scoring before Toffoli came. We only got him anticipating Boeser being out. Then again we did have decent secondary scoring from JV and Gaudette. Hoglander surely replaces one of those guys easily. Need more scoring out of the bottom six I guess. Maybe that comes from some younger guys Podkolzin maybe Lind maybe. Third line center is the biggest concern. Can we fill it without spending a bunch?