The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kucherov and Stamkos to play Game 1

Rate this topic

How does the NHL not keep an eye on this. Not to sound like a complainer, but this team that was in obvious cap issues in the off-season last year. Then Kucherov, needs season ending hip surgery, which allows them to be cap compliant and still get good young players signed.

Then, miraculously, playoffs start, and he’s ready to go when the cap doesn’t matter. 

Maybe all this terrible Canuck hockey has made me negative but to me this is cap circumvention no? I just remember thinking there would be offer sheets and stuff for Cernak, etc, and then when Kuch was out I was thinking, ah convenient, now it’s just too suspicious.

anyways, just my thoughts. enjoy the playoffs gents and ladies!

This feels like cap circumvention.

I remember Chicago did something similar with Kane before. He could have come back sooner in the regular season but they chose to let him back for the playoffs.

I hope Tampa is out in the first round.

Well it is most probably just half bull$&!#. Kucherov probably did need surgery and did take surgery. No 90 point superstar is going to sit out willingly for a year and go under the knife just so his team can mismange the cap and get more players. Can't fake something like that or if someone dig in, they'd be in some big trouble. The timing is obviously too convienent. 

1 minute ago, -Stammer- said:

The NHL should've done more about this when it happened with Kane in 2015 to avoid it since it was clearly planned. It's annoying to see even as a Lightning fan but it's technically within the rules

half of those idiots  in Florida don't even now its happening they saying other fans are making excuses and are just jealous 

As long as the Leafs don’t win who cares really if TBay wins again because they are sneaky.  Until the Leafs are knocked out, I’m cheering for the teams in the US most likely to beat them.  And TBay is at the top of that list.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Could you IMAGINE the circumvention penaltirs we’d be hit with if we pulled this with Eriksson or any of our bad contracts??

Cap-recapture of Eriksson's salary for the next 6 years.

Re-live Eriksson's contract.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm surprised there's not some $2 million cap penalty to the Canucks for drafting outside 1st overall so well. 

That's why we had to mix in Virtanens and Juolevis in our drafts. 

Imagine if we picked Ehlers and Pastrnak in 2014 and McAvoy in 2016? 

We'd get hit with 20 mil cap penalty for drafting far too well and making the NHL's lottery system look useless.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -Stammer- said:

The NHL should've done more about this when it happened with Kane in 2015 to avoid it since it was clearly planned. It's annoying to see even as a Lightning fan but it's technically within the rules

Yes, it's within the rules. Like signing Luongo to 12 year deal was within the rules.

NHL will go back and levy penalties retrospectively with no guilt.

But, I don't think they'll do that to Tampa for this so you can rest easy.

It's been a joke since the league let the Hawks fake Hossa's "allergies".  The quack who signed off on that one should be stripped of his license to practice medicine.  Sadly, I've lost all faith in the NHL itself to conduct itself appropriately, let alone hold individual franchises accountable.