The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Geoff Courtnall to return to Canucks?

Rate this topic

Slegr

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I haven’t been reading much into the Demko and Pearson deals, as far as an indicator of Benning’s status moving forward. Apparently much of the contract work has been delegated to Chris Gear, especially since his promotion to AGM. And while those deals may have been Benning decisions, they may also have been ownership’s call, with Gear tasked directly to work out the actual contracts.

The Aquilinis have sidelined their GMs in the past, while publicly expressing support, and with the actual details only coming out later. Gear has been general counsel for CSE for about a decade or so, with his employment preceding the Benning hiring, so it’s possible that he reports directly to ownership on some matters, and any new SPCs negotiated this season might be one of them.

I’m not saying this is the case. Just giving the reason why I don’t necessarily believe that Demko and Pearson getting new deals should be interpreted as any kind of signal of ownership’s confidence in Benning, or his job security, moving beyond this season.

Moreover, I think Benning's departure to Texas to watch the games may be the team's way of having him be in charge of scouting. Basically Benning gets re-assigned to another department. So I think we will be seeing a new GM after all.

21 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I haven’t been reading much into the Demko and Pearson deals, as far as an indicator of Benning’s status moving forward.

It isn’t about who is negotiating the details of the contracts, it is about leaving as many doors open for the new guy to make the deals he sees fit and start shaping the team.

The Pearson deal stands out as the odd one if Benning was on thin ice.  That cap space had a lot of ways to be allocated, and signing the deal removed a bunch of flexibility in the offseason for a new GM.

Why increasingly handcuff a new GM with more signed players and fewer cap dollars to spend.

Maybe a new GM doesn’t honour the handshake deal to not expose Pearson... that could be helpful.

• RoughGame 1

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

It isn’t about who is negotiating the details of the contracts, it is about leaving as many doors open for the new guy to make the deals he sees fit and start shaping the team.

The Pearson deal stands out as the odd one if Benning was on thin ice.  That cap space had a lot of ways to be allocated, and signing the deal removed a bunch of flexibility in the offseason for a new GM.

Why increasingly handcuff a new GM with more signed players and fewer cap dollars to spend.

Maybe a new GM doesn’t honour the handshake deal to not expose Pearson... that could be helpful.

I meant more that it’s possible Benning was sidelined and completely removed from the equation, with ownership deciding for themselves which players get extended this season, and then Gear executing their wishes.

(Again, I have no proof this is the case. I don’t want to represent otherwise. Just that’s it’s a possibility.)

And as far as whether or not this might handcuff a new GM, I’m not sure Aquilini would even consider that. Frankie seems to view the front office the way JB views the scouting department, when it comes to issues of autonomy, so I’d be surprised if ownership waited on pulling the trigger on player personnel decisions, even if they were planning a management change.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Is he a better GM than Benning? If not, then how does this help the team?

If the owners don't know what the fans want yet, then I don't know. Courtnall would be nice to have around the team, sure, but he's more of a publicity stunt, than a fix.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

So who would take Pearson's spot? Realistically, a player like that, especially in free agency, is likely going to be around the same ballpark, with no guarantee of success. At the very minimum, there is an assurance that Pearson enjoys it here in Vancouver, plus there's some chemistry with several players, most notably Horvat. Thus, the signing of Pearson is kind of a no-brainer. It's not an overpayment by the market standards. It's a pretty average signing that has received an overreaction from this fanbase.

• Cheers 3

Perhaps this is related to the AHL farm team move to Abbotsford? Or maybe it has something to do with a community/charity initiative located in Victoria. Perhaps it has absolutely nothing to do with positions in the Canucks' head office.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

The brothers want to replace Francesco, courtnal  has become a very well respected and successful business man.

Francesco days of meddling and interfering might finally be over. Maybe we can actually hire a respected experienced  and  GOOD Gm since i highly doubt any would work for FA. Leaving us with bottom feeding  dreggs like JB. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

So who would take Pearson's spot? Realistically, a player like that, especially in free agency, is likely going to be around the same ballpark, with no guarantee of success. At the very minimum, there is an assurance that Pearson enjoys it here in Vancouver, plus there's some chemistry with several players, most notably Horvat. Thus, the signing of Pearson is kind of a no-brainer. It's not an overpayment by the market standards. It's a pretty average signing that has received an overreaction from this fanbase.

It's a market value signing, but the real issue is that it could have been done after the expansion draft.  I'd rather have Gadjovich plus a UFA to either replace Pearson or provide help on the blueline than keeping Pearson.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

We don’t know who could or will be available.  What if the only thing stopping a Reinhart trade is an extra $3 million in cap space that Buffalo won’t eat in terms of a bad contract going the other way?

How many Schmidt type deals will be out there this offseason?

It isn’t just a player for the exact same money... that is too simplistic a way to look at it.   What could cap freed up by a Virtanen buyout plus the Pearson money get you?

it isn’t just free agency, it is trades as well.  What shakes loose before the expansion draft?  What if we lose a player ourselves because we are suddenly protecting Pearson?

The entire issue that folks have is that there was zero reason to sign Pearson when it happened.  If the same deal gets signed the day after the draft, it isn’t a big issue.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm with you. I've never seen so much incessant whining from fans. It's embarrassing really. We have such arrogant fans. :(

And when you whine about the “arrogance of the fans” you become even worse. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

We don’t know who could or will be available.  What if the only thing stopping a Reinhart trade is an extra $3 million in cap space that Buffalo won’t eat in terms of a bad contract going the other way?

It isn’t just a player for the exact same money... what could cap freed up by a Virtanen buyout plus the Pearson money get you?

What if something shakes loose before the expansion draft?  What if we lose a player ourselves because we are suddenly protecting Pearson?

The entire issue that folks have is that there was zero reason to sign Pearson when it happened.  If the same deal gets signed the day after the draft, it isn’t a big issue.

He’s a glue guy though. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

It's a market value signing, but the real issue is that it could have been done after the expansion draft.  I'd rather have Gadjovich plus a UFA to either replace Pearson or provide help on the blueline than keeping Pearson.

Exactly... or even rather having the 2nd round pick  Pearson could have gotten at the deadline, plus Gadjovich, plus whatever UFA or trade target was worth that cap money.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I haven’t been reading much into the Demko and Pearson deals, as far as an indicator of Benning’s status moving forward. Apparently much of the contract work has been delegated to Chris Gear, especially since his promotion to AGM. And while those deals may have been Benning decisions, they may also have been ownership’s call, with Gear tasked directly to work out the actual contracts.

The Aquilinis have sidelined their GMs in the past, while publicly expressing support, and with the actual details only coming out later. Gear has been general counsel for CSE for about a decade or so, with his employment preceding the Benning hiring, so it’s possible that he reports directly to ownership on some matters, and any new SPCs negotiated this season might be one of them.

I’m not saying this is the case. Just giving the reason why I don’t necessarily believe that Demko and Pearson getting new deals should be interpreted as any kind of signal of ownership’s confidence in Benning, or his job security, moving beyond this season.

We're getting mixed messages from Canuckland.  Signings have been made but he also trades: Gaudette and Benn, who is responsible for those.  On the other hand, Green has Bennings endorsement but no contract.

It's definitely mysterious.