The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Geoff Courtnall to return to Canucks?

Rate this topic

Slegr

44 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I like how he (Timrafan) likes to criticize the Canucks/AHL coaching to be "neanderthal" (the word he used specifically), all because his darling Dahlen couldn't make TWO NHL rosters, nor did he succeed in San Jose's AHL team. Ultimately, Dahlen is still playing in the same league as when he started in Sweden.

Well, the way your coaches in NA thinks is a bit neanderthal.

Weisbroad called it as he is a ”hockey” kind of guy as a reason he stepped down from Orlando Magics.

so Weisbroad knows he’s a bit neanderthal in todays sport.

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

I'm as much a linden fan as the next guy, but what can we conclusively say was "the job he did?" we all speculate and prognosticate and deduce and theorize, but we really don't have a goddamn clue what's going on behind the scenes, who or what is the impetus for which decisions and actions. 

we should let sleeping dogs lie with trevor. it didn't work out for reasons good or ill, let's leave it at that. 

what?

we know all kinds of things about the job he did - particularly all the people he hired.

I'll credit /praise him all I want - you let whatever dogs you want do what they do - save the unsolicited advice for someone that regards it.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if there really was "pushback" (and not just PJ making stuff up) its not a great sign for Jim and Weisbrod that Courtnall is being approached again. 

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon. The team doesn't need weeks of this kind of reporting. 

Patrick Johnston gets his information from a banana, so there's that.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not so sure about Courtnall knowing the game.

I'm not so sure you know what Courtnall knows about the game.  How could you?

I'm not sure anyone here does - in fact I'm pretty sure no one here has any idea how much or little Courtnall knows.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Patrick Johnston gets his information from a banana, so there's that.

fair point.

I just don't want this to turn into weeks of drama, it doesn't help anything. 

Finding upper echelon management types is really all about buying knowledge. You can question their direction or beliefs but to be in upper managment the first thing you need is a barn full of knowledge and keep in mind not only knowledge but wisdom. As a philosopher once noted "The owl of Minerva fly's only as dusk" You frankly need a person that bring the wisdom and the appropriate knowldge with them not well lets learn on the job. I'm sure JB is a wiser man now then he was in 2016 but he's still catching up and the mistakes he made have are long lasting, as we now understand ( Cap Hell )

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't believe he "talked $&!#" about any of them. Thats your thing, 

That behaviour is Bennings way to show he isn’t a GM.

Why is that so hard to understand?

A GM doesn’t say stuff like that. 
They always say positive stuff that takes the company further. 

By the way, why do you say Dahlin all the time? Is it because the old player Kjell Dahlin from Timrå that played for Canadians?

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

That behaviour is Bennings way to show he isn’t a GM.

Why is that so hard to understand?

A GM doesn’t say stuff like that. 
They always say positive stuff that takes the company further. 

meh, you just don't like to hear reality on a kid. If he had the talent he would have stuck with SJS.

By the way, why do you say Dahlin all the time? Is it because the old player Kjell Dahlin from Timrå that played for Canadians?

probably because he was so unimpressive I forget how to spell his name 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm not so sure you know what Courtnall knows about the game.  How could you?

I'm not sure anyone here does - in fact I'm pretty sure no one here has any idea how much or little Courtnall knows.

You're right and that holds true for all of us! but you can look at a persons record and see if they held positions that taught them the requisite skill. When you hire management you're in fact simply buying knowledge and hopefully wisdom. I've never heard of Cortnall holding roles in NHL Management but if he has please enlighten me

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, you just don't like to hear reality on a kid. If he had the talent he would have stuck with SJS.

probably because he was so unimpressive I forget how to spell his name 

Lol, you stepped up a notch.

I hope he stays away from NHL but the risk is Sharks want him back. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlen was a mistake.  We hoped he’d have an NHL will to compete, but he didn’t.  He seems happier playing (and dominating) in a lesser league.  Lots and lots of skill, but missing the compete part.  

As for Courtenal, I don’t know if he’s making much of a difference.  I think Benning is doing two roles right now as Pres and GM.  Maybe Courtenal comes in the help out as an adviser?  

Dahlen was used to swedish coaches/organisation.

His father even coached himself in SHL beside his own career in NHL. 
So I believe the ”neanderthal” coaching style in Utica got on the wrong foot with Dahlen and Benning talks $&!# about Dahlen to steer criticism away from Utica in a period when NHL is on to coaches like Babcock.

• RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

what?

we know all kinds of things about the job he did - particularly all the people he hired.

I'll credit /praise him all I want - you let whatever dogs you want do what they do - save the unsolicited advice for someone that regards it.

easy there, champ, no need to go on the defensive. I simply forgot that you, oldnews -- all-knowing, all-seeing eye of cdc -- were the fly on the wall in the canucks boardroom. 

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

I hope your right. If so he will stay in Timrå.

He said he will only play for Timrå in SHL. 

I must say that is a dumb thing to say, for any one. Your chnaces of  negotiating  a contract is flushed as the words cross his lips

2 minutes ago, tas said:

easy there, champ, no need to go on the defensive. I simply forgot that you, oldnews -- all-knowing, all-seeing eye of cdc -- were the fly on the wall in the canucks boardroom. 

derp

MacIntryre wrote a good article regarding Linden - outlining all the hirings he was responsible for - many of them before hiring Benning (who is also obviously a Linden hiring, just the most high profile) - in the period when he had 'full autonomy' and final say on hockey decisions.  

Google it - and read it if you're interested in what is unambiguous, public 'record' - or not - but save your pretentious injunctions against discussion.

No flies on the wall required.  The guy was President - his record isn't some dubious mystery of the crypt.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not so sure about Courtnall knowing the game. If you recall the "building" of the likes of Sakic and Yzerman it took time, they became students of the management which included the roles of scouting in the back end of Saskabush in February or North Dakota and over time they learned the intrigue of management, Cap problems and the role of a Farm team, player development etc etc. Courtnall is ( like Linden ) property business which is not exactly a similar business. He will be better than FA but still sees the game through a players eyes. The loss of Gilman was a tragedy he had all the acumen of the required knowledge. The Canucks would not miss FA and this IMO is just another pathetic attempt to rally fan support for another season. By hiring Courtnall he displays his total lack of understanding, I believe FA thinks being an owner is like being super fan

Great points !   Those two (with there overall track record) has certainly shown that they are very good leaders by first becoming great students.  There adaptability in there roles due to there respect of there roles & others has certainly benefitted not only them but there teams.

Yeah, Courtnalls business background seems to not be a very compatible fit when it comes to the business of pro sports; at the very least, he comes from an era were hockey was more closer to its roots - not wwe on ice we are watching now.

Edited by ShawnAntoski