The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Geoff Courtnall to return to Canucks?

Rate this topic

Slegr

On 5/17/2021 at 12:16 AM, Conscience said:

Dont even try to say those were the right picks.

McCann turned out alright but benning didn't like what he say and flipped him and a 2nd for gudbranson. 

so that's 3 misses

How is McCann a miss? Absolutely nothing wrong with the pick... 

You can definitely argue that flipping him for Guddy was bad ( we ALL wanted a mean defence man, who ultimately didn’t live up to our expectations) but McCann was a good pick at 24... 

• Vintage 1

On 5/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I didn’t realize Juolevi finished his NHL career. Geez time flies when you’re having fun. 

Also please name one GM in the history of the NHL where all of his first round picks became star players, or even regulars in the lineup. I’ll wait. 

Nobody cares about hope, results are what matter. The last 3 stanley cup champions weren't won by up and coming stars, they were won with 2- 4 foundational players that stuck with their franchises for many years and was augmented by key trades and FA signings. All this notion that this whole team of young kids that especially YOU that wants to field a team full of prospects in the years to come is laughable. 1st round picks that became stars but missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years, thats nice, I'll take the other guy that had perhaps one of the worst draft records in history, and yet managed to take an existing core and turn it into a stanley cup finalist, 2 president trophies, hart, art ross selke, jennings players on the roster and fielded the greatest Canucks team ever assembled

36 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You can definitely argue that flipping him for Guddy was bad ( we ALL wanted a mean defence man, who ultimately didn’t live up to our expectations) but McCann was a good pick at 24... 

McCann was a great fit. He'd fit in perfect with this team as a 2LW or a 3C. Trading him was a mistake. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/16/2021 at 10:19 AM, Alflives said:

Benning is a stand up kind of guy, who played at the top level, so he’s got guys’ backs.  He must have been super frustrated with Dahlen to say anything even remotely negative.  I can see Benning seeing a super skilled player, and being frustrated because that super skilled player has no willingness to compete.  

Ironic considering Jonathan's dad was Ulf Dahlen who was a meat and potatoes guy, made his living in the trenches. Kind of figured he'd tell his son to just buck up and work his way up the lineup

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

trading him away when he was that young was bad talent assessment before or after he was drafted doesnt matter. 

And if he was traded for character issues that should have been sorted before selecting him. 

Edited by Conscience

4 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

McCann was a great fit. He'd fit in perfect with this team as a 2LW or a 3C. Trading him was a mistake. 

I'm pretty happy with Pearson, to be honest.  He's a better player than McCann

• Cheers 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

except that by all reports he was a poor fit in the room, which matters more than the fit on the ice. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Conscience said:

No hes not lol, not to mention the 2nd we lost in those trades too

Again, I'm happy with Pearson, he's a better player than McCann and he's the winger that finally fit with Bo 

• Cheers 4
  • RoughGame 1

On 5/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, HockeyHarry said:

A move to shut up the Candy Eater Fans and the Vancouver media that try to make a living out of chaos.

80% of Canuck fans are whiners that are super needy of quick fixes that create more problems then actually help the team. 

im a Canuck fan...unfortunately i dislike a big portion of Canuck fans. The Whiny brats i hate the most.

On to the Draft 

Yeah, the morale victory fans that considers tanking as a losing strategy rather than a prudent move in a losing season for (potentially) long term gain - good thing JB has hit in the draft by drafting a top 3 talent (with hindsight) in a lower draft spot and I hope he continues if the team goes on to win these last two (meaningless) All Star games.

Imo, I assume a majority of the fans (most people I know and had spoken with as a baseline) would rather see the team during seasons like these to pontentially get the best chance to draft an impactful player.  Also, the added bonus of picking high in the first round also mean the team will be drafting higher in the other rounds.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

15 minutes ago, Conscience said:

trading him away when he was that young was bad talent assessment before or after he was drafted doesnt matter. 

And if he was traded for character issues that should have been sorted before selecting him. 

It doesn’t change the fact he was a good pick. The boy is playing in the NHL (not looking out of place), and thats all you can ask for from a 24th pick. 
That they used him in a trade that didn’t work out, is totally irrelevant. 
If Flyers had traded Konecny (24th pick) to us for Sbisa the year after, would you say he was a bad pick? No it would be a poor trade...

The fact McCann was traded for Guddy, who was lost in Vancouver is a different story. The only real complaints I remember about McCann, was the ‘it is, what it is’... 

Yes there were a few better players he could have picked at 24 with Pastnak and Brayden Point springing to mind or Victor Arvidson... 

I’d actually argue that from a drafting point Benning did well in the 2014 draft with both Demko, Tryamkin and Forsling... 

Tryamkin is swing we would do again if presented, and Forsling is also stil playing as an NHL’er...

The fact they don’t play for Canucks are a different story. 

PS. The year before we picked Shinkaruk in same position... now that was a bad pick. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It doesn’t change the fact he was a good pick. The boy is playing in the NHL (not looking out of place), and thats all you can ask for from a 24th pick. 
If Flyers had traded Konecny (24th pick) to us for Sbisa the year after, would you say he was a bad pick? No it would be a poor trade...

The fact McCann was traded for Guddy, who was lost in Vancouver is a different story. The only real complaints I remember about McCann, was the ‘it is, what it is’... 

Yes there were a few better players he could have picked at 24 with Pastnak and Brayden Point springing to mind or Victor Arvidson... 

I’d actually argue that from a drafting point Benning did well in the 2014 draft with both Demko, Tryamkin and Forsling... 

Tryamkin is swing we would do again if presented, and Forsling is also stil playing as an NHL’er...

PS. The year before we picked Shinkaruk in same position... now that was a bad pick. 

Relax I like the pick, would u prefer i said it was a miss on asset management to add to the the other two bad picks for a total of 3 misses/bad asset management 

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Nice try, but the truth will not work on some people.

Even if you could get the poster to admit,  right now, that McCaan was a good pick, within a week they'll be laying down the same crap about what a bad pick it was.

Or saying it was still a bad pick because they traded the player.

Or just watch them move the goal posts-" ohhh I meant the other picks."

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Relax I like the pick, would u prefer i said it was a miss on asset management to add to the the other two bad picks for a total of 3 misses/bad asset management 

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or just watch them move the goal posts-" ohhh I meant the other picks."

That didn't take long.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Conscience said:

Cheers bro. Not annoyed at all :rolleyes: 

Yes that was kind of my point... 

You assemble (hopefully) assets through the draft (as well as through trades). These assets can be used to build your team, or to get different assets. 
The assets obtained unfortunately didn’t work out as hoped for. 
Tryamkin... who knows the real reason? Maybe his wife just don’t like VCR or he doesn’t approve of joints or maybe Willies tape of Pronger pissed him off, but I don’t blame JB for taking a swing with him in the 3rd. 

A move to shut up the Candy Eater Fans and the Vancouver media that try to make a living out of chaos.

does anyone under 50 even really know who Courtall was? or saw him play? this was to placate the older season ticket members that spend big. 

80% of Canuck fans are whiners that are super needy of quick fixes that create more problems then actually help the team. 

I don't know where you get this from. I think most people have wanted higher picks and were pretty patient on some bad years here waiting for the actual rebuild to occur. 

im a Canuck fan...unfortunately i dislike a big portion of Canuck fans. The Whiny brats i hate the most.

the biggest whining I see is from the old Gillis crowd. That wound hasn't healed apparently .

On to the Draft