The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I completely disagree. At this point potential

of a young player is much more valuable to our team. Motte is what he is at this point, a 4th line energy guy that is responsible defensively but hasn't played 50% of a season in two years and is only good for less than 20 points a season.

Gadjovich has already outperformed Motte in the AHL:

Motte 67 GP 21G 32P

Gadjovich 90GP 32G 45P

And will soon prove to be much more valuable at the NHL level.

Motte is not a 4th liner anymore.  If u ask me he's improved enough to be a good third line player.  

Also, AHL stats are meaningless unless you can perform in the NHL.  If Jonah can make the jump-great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Ah I'll be on the wait and see wagon. Point totals arent everything. 

That's the safe bet. And you are absolutely right about point totals. I'm usually very much on Team Wait and See but Gadjovich is someone I've been very high on ever since we drafted him.

16 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I completely disagree. At this point potential

of a young player is much more valuable to our team. Motte is what he is at this point, a 4th line energy guy that is responsible defensively but hasn't played 50% of a season in two years and is only good for less than 20 points a season.

Gadjovich has already outperformed Motte in the AHL:

Motte 67 GP 21G 32P

Gadjovich 90GP 32G 45P

And will soon prove to be much more valuable at the NHL level.

Motte is a proven NHL playoff performer.  Tied (with Boeser) for 4th in goals in the bubble last summer.  Jonah's last playoff experience was 3 years ago when a junior

37 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think this is more of a what we would like them to do rather than what they should do. Theres going to be some good goalies available for them in the ED and FA. Look how well Fleury pamned out for the knights. I never suggest drafting a goalie that high. 

I think they take Holtby based on what's available from us. He only has one year left so if it works out they can re-sign him and tho drafting a goalie is risky that high they might considering how important a goalie is to team success. Plus there is a good chance they end up with a few 1sts and Jesper and the Oil kings keeper Costa? Might be available later on in the 1st. Holtby not once this season played in front of a nucks team that did him any favours. I actually hope he stays and Benning moves LE for based on prior deals with the same contract cost a 2nd. Along with Beagle on LTIR and hopefully a few other moves should create some extra cap.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Every player in the league is one hit from retirement. Sidney Crosby was one hit from retirement, 7 years ago. 

True but if your going to gamble I would gamble on Godjovich. We are too small as a team and the addition of Godjovich and Podz will be sweet

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Motte is not a 4th liner anymore.  If u ask me he's improved enough to be a good third line player.  

Also, AHL stats are meaningless unless you can perform in the NHL.  If Jonah can make the jump-great, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here

Yeah he's a 4th liner. Just like Highmore is a 4th liner. Good energy guys that play hard and are good for 15-20 points in an 82 game season but Motte has missed 65 games in the last 2 shortened seasons. I like Motte and hope we keep him on a cheap contract to play on the 4th line and pk but his health is becoming a big issue and he's not worth protecting in the ED over Gadjovich 

Edited by 204CanucksFan

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m being called Benning for saying zero chance Myers gets exposed, yet it's a sure thing Gadjovich gets selected and becomes Alex Tuch. Laughable. 

I guess we're twins because there is zero chance of Myers getting exposed, why the hell would he? We have zero RHD depth aside from Woo and Myers is having his best season since his rookie year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed. The thing I'll be most intrigued to see is how he moves around the ice. That could be one of the x-factors in determining whether he's worthy of protection from Seattle.

Lamb sake's Nelly! What if this guy explodes(in yr 2) like he's plodding Dave Andreychuck's secret love-child?!

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

It’s a fricken weird draft anyway, probably get a good player at 9 and there will be a couple busts ahead of us 

Winning the draft in a year that has no clear cut #1 and a crapshoot draft will be the most Canuck thing ever, so you know it will happen.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Still would not be bad to draft a d man with Clarkes' potential; rather than overpaying for it in FA and trades...

Don't think he goes #1. Besides his elite IQ nothing else really screams #1d Power will go 1st if a D goes #1. If we select 1st and a chance to grab a package involving a young player that fits this core id be all over that.

Ecklund is my guy, he would fit in great next to Petey and Brock\Podz.

5 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah he's a 4th liner. Just like Highmore is a 4th liner. Good energy guys that play hard and are good for 15-20 points in an 82 game season but Motte has missed 65 games in the last 2 shortened seasons. I like Motte and hope we keep him on a cheap contract to play on the 4th line and pk but his health is becoming a big issue and he's not worth protecting in the ED over Gadjovich 

Injury and ED concerns are fair, but let's not forget the make up and role of a 4th line. Limited mins, D zone starts, moving the puck up and getting it deep/wear down opponents so you can (hopefully) line change and get your top 2 lines out with an advantage.  You shouldn't focus so much on Mottes point totals given his deployment.  

Regarding the ED, if u think JG has a good chance of being selected or don't want to lose him at all, plus re-signing Motte is a ?- perhaps an off season trade would be prudent.  Lots of moving parts with the status of Roussel/Beagle so I guess we will have to see how things play out. 

Personally, if Motte can be re-signed at a good cap hit, I'd definitely do it.  He's a big part of the team (when healthy of course)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Don't think he goes #1. Besides his elite IQ nothing else really screams #1d Power will go 1st if a D goes #1. If we select 1st and a chance to grab a package involving a young player that fits this core id be all over that.

Ecklund is my guy, he would fit in great next to Petey and Brock\Podz.

Good points but RHD is a team need - will have to wait and see what direction JB goes with.  Embrace the tank and give ourselves the best chance to be able to draft BPA.

At least win the last home games. 

Anyone saw flames not making the playoffs after they signed Marky, Tanev and Leivo?   I think I'm just as surprised Nux didn't make it.  If not for Covid, nux had a good original schedule post break to make up ground and sneak in like last year.  But Gaudette wanted to go out during the break, and the rest is history. 

Edited by Jaimito

29 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

When someone sticks out as much as Motte, Hoglander, Miller it's a sign you need to keep them. I wish Mgmt could see that.

• Cheers 1