The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

30 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I just watched a video on You tube showing a projected roster line-up of the kraken. Gadj  was who Seattle chose from Vancouver. Maybe we shouldn't showcase the man child in these last few games.

tbh if thats how it plays out we're getting off quite easy compared to other teams. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, mll said:

Lind could have also played the past games if they hadn’t demoted him back to the taxi squad after using 1 of their 4 regular recalls on him.  They had the cap space to keep him up.

They have ~1.9M in cap space per CapFriendly.  They can only recall 2 of them unless they demote someone else.  As they’ve demoted Lind rather than play him those past games, would guess that Lockwood and Gadjovich are the ones brought up.  There’s Bowey too although he was probably just acquired to be exposed in expansion.

I suppose they could still have been deciding if its worth trying to keep any of Vesey, Boyd or Hawryluk up until today, and have seen enough to know they already like Lind for next year. I like the idea of another 1 year <1 mil deal on Hawrykuk but I think we've seen the last of Vesey and Boyd. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I just watched a video on You tube showing a projected roster line-up of the kraken. Gadj  was who Seattle chose from Vancouver. Maybe we shouldn't showcase the man child in these last few games.

Gotta protect Gadjovich and Lind and expose Motte and Mac. Force Seattle to either take Motte, who'd I'd hate to see go but his injuries are becoming a big concern, or, best case scenario, Holtby.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Excited for tonight! Anxious to see who Lind, Gadjovich, and Lockwood fill in for, assuming all 3 are inserted. Maybe something like this:

Pearson   Horvat    Lind

Hoglander   Miller    Boeser

Gadjovich    Boyd     MacEwan

Highmore    Graovac    Lockwood

I doubt Edler will sit until he's reached 100 goals, so my dreams of a left side experiment of Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi will have to wait. That said, l would like to see how Bowey would slot, provided he's more than expansion fodder:

Hughes     Hamonic

Edler    Bowey

Rathbone   Myers

Holtby with the crease so Demko gets a well deserved night off.

GCG!

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I suppose they could still have been deciding if its worth trying to keep any of Vesey, Boyd or Hawryluk up until today, and have seen enough to know they already like Lind for next year. I like the idea of another 1 year <1 mil deal on Hawrykuk but I think we've seen the last of Vesey and Boyd. 

Nailed it. Hawryluk is a keeper. I remember wanting to take Pastrnak, just for the name alone. I thought he was a good ol Ukrainian boy from Saskatchewan but he's a Czech.  This one fills the bill though. Lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Watch the Canucks win these last 3 games and slide out of the top 10 draft pick.

:mellow:

IMO this draft is going to be a bit of a crapshoot. Powers is the concensus number 1, but only by a slim margin. You could see fluctuations within the top 10 between him and Guenther, Benier, Eklund, Hughes, Clarke... quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson falls out of the top 10 (He's my go to... call it BC bias).

I say play for pride, win some games... if I had to choose between Gadjovich scoring the GWG or losing for better draft position, I choose the goal 10 times out of 10.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nailed it. Hawryluk is a keeper. I remember wanting to take Pastrnak, just for the name alone. I thought he was a good ol Ukrainian boy from Saskatchewan but he's a Czech.  This one fills the bill though. Lol.

as a former SK Ukrainian I approve of this message. 

• Cheers 3

What I'd like to see from these last 3 games .......

Obviously, Lockwood and Gadjovich get at least a couple of games

Bo get to 20 goals

Holtby get his GAA up over .900

At least 1 goal for Vesey, Michaelis and Lind

Miller get a couple of assists to get to 30 for the season

Hoglander to pot a couple (one a lacrosse style?) To get 14 (prorates to 20 over a full season)

That's 7 goals in 3 games.  Not too big an ask.  Over the 7 games played, their GF/G is 2.14, second worst behind vs Winnipeg (1.89)

Go Comets Go this afternoon  ..... GCG this evening!!

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as a former SK Ukrainian I approve of this message. 

I met Fedotenko about a decade ago when visiting friends in Krivoy Rog.  He was the featured celebrity at a combined schools' awards presentation.  I spoke with him for a few minutes - he was with the Rangers at that time, really nice young man. It always mystified me why Ukraine wasn't a force in hockey ... lack of rinks was obviously a factor, but also athletic youths seemed to stream into football (soccer) and volleyball much more readily (cheaper to play, ofc) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

tbh if thats how it plays out we're getting off quite easy compared to other teams. 

Perhaps (?)   Would had been nice if this losing season was mostly used to see how any of these unkown prospects would do in the NHL before losing them to the ED but I get it - purposely tanking is seen by some/most fans (perhaps the vocal ones) and the owners (cause of the palyoff $) as accepting losing thus a losing culture.  Imo, it all comes down to messaging from the top and (good chance) if they were just honest (no specifics) about maximizing a losing season for long term success, the (lomgtime) fans would still support the team. 

Ofcourse, there are no guarantees - just look at Buffalo & (for most of the past decades) Deadmonton and there run of 1st OA's (now it is NJ & Buffalo - again - having there runs of top 3 picks) but those situations can each be looked at with context and a smart GM can learn from each situations of how to move forward.   Imo, despite playing a veteran laden lineup for most of the season; with hindsight, the team still finished in the bottom of the division  and it just seems counter intuitive to be re signing any of our FA's (which will be a year older) to any deals - none of them rose to top and perhaps alot of circumstantial reasons like scheduling or covid can be blamed but none of the FA agent vets really stood out as sure fire re sign.  Good chance, there will be covid cast offs available and hopefully, JB will look for cheaper options rather than overpaying for nostalgia and great intangibles player that (mostly) contribute nothing on the ice but eats up a good percentage of the cap.

11 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Same story almost every year.

Way too much negative focus on where we pick. Pretty confident wherever we pick it will be one of the top picks in draft even if we are outside of 10. Let’s focus on winning because I see us on an uptrend and ready to break the shackles of this rebuild/reset. If you hate the Canucks don’t bother but if you are a fan  funnel your energy into this phase with some good ole positivity and belief. :towel:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps (?)   Would had been nice if this losing season was mostly used to see how any of these unkown prospects would do in the NHL before losing them to the ED but I get it - purposely tanking is seen by some/most fans (perhaps the vocal ones) and the owners (cause of the palyoff $) as accepting losing thus a losing culture.  Imo, it all comes down to messaging from the top and (good chance) if they were just honest (no specifics) about maximizing a losing season for long term success, the (lomgtime) fans would still support the team. 

Not following that assertion at all.  Why would owners want to avoid playoffs? That's when they make their money.  Players aren't paid after the regular season ends (other than the NHL payments to them for winning a series or the Cup) so the costs to the owners are arena and staff costs.  Even in a no-fan era, these costs will be more than covered by playoff revenue sharing from TV, merchandising, and US modest gate revenues

Just another excuse, imo, to throw some more guff at owners