The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The problem is Gadjovich is just scratching the surface of what he’s capable of.

Thats like Columbus saying oh we’re just giving up Karlsson, or Anaheim saying oh we’re only losing Theodore.

Not saying he’ll be on those players level but it just goes to show it could look a lot worse in  a few years. 

I leave Motte unprotected.

This is my point when talking about losing a prospect to the ED - unknown lottey ticket.  

• Huggy Bear 1

48 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I have been hoping for Virtanen to blossom for some years now. I also wasn't so sold on MacEwan until now. I am impressed with MacEwan's speed and intensity. He plays with a passion and heart, that never really came from Virtanen. So, as we see the end of Virtanen as a Canuck, I feel we have a better replacement with MacEwan. 

I wish Rypien had Jake's frame and skillset, combined with his drive, heart, and willingness to do whatever it takes to play. :(

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

52 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I have been hoping for Virtanen to blossom for some years now. I also wasn't so sold on MacEwan until now. I am impressed with MacEwan's speed and intensity. He plays with a passion and heart, that never really came from Virtanen. So, as we see the end of Virtanen as a Canuck, I feel we have a better replacement with MacEwan. 

This also raises an interesting question. Is a player with skill, but is one dimensional, better than a player with lower high end skill, but is a better all around player?

It would be nice if we were just talking about Jake an his on ice performance, and players like Laine. But with a cloud over Jake, even if he clears himself. I find it hard to see him putting on a Canucks Jersey again. 

29 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Canucks and Flames in the consolation round lol!

The morale victory trophy is up for grabs in this series - hoping for a split at most but a total collapse at best; the players understand that it is all morale victory at this point on (nothing to gain as a team but just an opportunity to pad the stats; especially, for the FA's).

If I was coach, I would continue to play Edler 26 mins a game until he gets the 100th goal as a treat to the fans/his supporters and then sit him for the prospects (but with his none existence shot it might take the whole next season for him to get it).  Ofcourse, the most important part, will be the off ice conversations were a mutual understanding should be reached between Warrior Edler & the team.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Same story almost every year.

We've picked in the top ten 5 of the last 7 years. 

Nvm I forgot Bo; make it 6 of the last 8. 

The 2 times we missed out of the top 10 were years we made the playoffs. (of course our pick was traded last year for JT Miller). 

So our current ratio of making it in the top 10 the last 8 years is 100%, unless we make the playoffs. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This also raises an interesting question. Is a player with skill, but is one dimensional, better than a player with lower high end skill, but is a better all around player?

It would be nice if we were just talking about Jake an his on ice performance, and players like Laine. But with a cloud over Jake, even if he clears himself. I find it hard to see him putting on a Canucks Jersey again. 

Yeah, would had been nice to see JV with a different staff but the stigma of the situation in this city will only mean the PR department is already hard at work working the phones for his next destination.  Hopefully, this situation will make him a better pro but more importantly, an even better person in the long term.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

What's everyone's record prediction for this mini-series?  Hoping 1-2 record for the Canucks and a good showing for the kids!!

Yesterday's game threw me off. Historically the Canucks perform lousy on early/odd start times. But they won. I just want to see the prospects play so we will have a better idea how next season will look. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly!

We currently have no one who will regularly drive the net.

Throw in Podkolzin and Gadjovich and suddenly our skilled guys have way more time and space and we’re scoring way more greasy goals.

When Hoglander is one of the few players that will go to the dirty areas to score. You know you need help. Love to see Podz and Gadj's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

What's everyone's record prediction for this mini-series?  Hoping 1-2 record for the Canucks and a good showing for the kids!!

0 wins, would be ideal for me with the youths (if they even get legit minutes) to play all the situations and the tired vets sits.  Time to see how the Comets will do against the Calgary Canucks.

Would be interesting to see each teams compete levels and which players will be playing hard (to pad there stats); good chance, Green will continue to play the same underperforming vets to win a streak to pad his coaching stats for next his next contract.

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

0 wins, would be ideal for me with the youths (if they even get legit minutes) to play all the situations and the tired vets sits.  Time to see how the Comets will do against the Calgary Canucks.

Would be interesting to see each teams compete levels and which players will be playing hard (to pad there stats); good chance, Green will continue to play the same underperforming vets to win a streak to pad his coaching stats for next his next contract.

Play the yutes! :)

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The problem is Gadjovich is just scratching the surface of what he’s capable of.

Thats like Columbus saying oh we’re just giving up Karlsson, or Anaheim saying oh we’re only losing Theodore.

Not saying he’ll be on those players level but it just goes to show it could look a lot worse in  a few years. 

I leave Motte unprotected.

yeah it could go that way. We need to protect future assets as well.

No matter what we're going to lose a useful player, Seattle isn't going to take any of our dead cap. 

26 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We've picked in the top ten 5 of the last 7 years. 

Nvm I forgot Bo; make it 6 of the last 8. 

The 2 times we missed out of the top 10 were years we made the playoffs. (of course our pick was traded last year for JT Miller). 

So our current ratio of making it in the top 10 the last 8 years is 100%, unless we make the playoffs. 

so you're saying you'd rather the team miss the playoffs and pick 14th overall, or ... ?

what's your point?

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Imo, the x factor will be the coach cause the deployment and usage will be up to the staff; unless the player really pushes himself into the lineup like Hogz & Lind as a more recent example; if I was in JV's shoe (or even the now traded AGs'),  I wouldn't had even given Green the opportunity to sit me - bulldog mentality - by focusing on what I can controll: off ice preparation.  Playing mental games with an immediate leader, that considers the player/worker as replaceable - never really ends well for the tool.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yesterday's game threw me off. Historically the Canucks perform lousy on early/odd start times. But they won. I just want to see the prospects play so we will have a better idea how next season will look. 

I like that we broke Koskinen heading into the playoffs. Put as much pressure on 39 year old Smith as possible. 

• Cheers 3