The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Excited about Podz and Gadjovich. I think both Horvat and Miller go to net front for rebounds and screening. MacEwan definitely does. IMHO the Canuck look will change a lot over the next 2 years. It will be much heavier and harder to play. Cannot remember the Edmonton player but young Rathbone was giving him a ear full after the whistle.  

Think it was Puljavi... good to see Rathbone letting him feel wood, like our Old no 3... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I have this feeling that the team is going to go Full Canuck and win each of these remaining games. After just listening to Chris Faber’s podcast where he had Craig Button on (and I have a ton of respect for Craig Button views on prospects - he sounded the alarm early on Virtanen’s lack of hockey sense) and he said the Canucks REALLY need to grab one of the defensemen at the top of the draft. He thinks Brandt Clarke is some sort of fusion of Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns. 

The whole tank thing is troublesome for me. I can’t actively root against the Canucks…yet….we sorely need another top echelon defensive prospect to compliment Hughes and Rathbone on the right side.

As other have said, sitting some vets, playing the kids, watching the team bust it’s ass as it has all year (HUGE KUDOS to Green for this) and losing close games for these last 3 is probably the best scenario for me personally. So, play hard boys, but maybe not win! 

Heading out for my daily 10k run now so I’ll be ready for the game and a few brews a bit later.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hope we give it our all but drop these next few games. For the good of drafting a high-end D man in this draft, it would come a long way.

Unless of course we win the lottery, but, y'know, Canucks...

You know what’s gonna happen... A team is going to win the lottery higher in the standings. We didn’t win enough. haha. Oh lottery 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

I have this feeling that the team is going to go Full Canuck and win each of these remaining games. After just listening to Chris Faber’s podcast where he had Craig Button on (and I have a ton of respect for Craig Button views on prospects - he sounded the alarm early on Virtanen’s lack of hockey sense) and he said the Canucks REALLY need to grab one of the defensemen at the top of the draft. He thinks Brandt Clarke is some sort of fusion of Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns. 

The whole tank thing is troublesome for me. I can’t actively root against the Canucks…yet….we sorely need another top echelon defensive prospect to compliment Hughes and Rathbone on the right side.

As other have said, sitting some vets, playing the kids, watching the team bust it’s ass as it has all year (HUGE KUDOS to Green for this) and losing close games for these last 3 is probably the best scenario for me personally. So, play hard boys, but maybe not win! 

Heading out for my daily 10k run now so I’ll be ready for the game and a few brews a bit later.

It seems the best solution - is to play the rookies and sit the underperforming retreads; if they lose, due to inexperience/etc but the compete level is very high then it can still be considered a win to the overall team morale long term cause good chance, it will be these rookies who will be here and for the fans, we get to see the future.   

At this point, the vets knows it is all (meaningless) morale victories & padding stats time (especially, for any upcoming FA's); and the team as a whole doesn't benefit from winning these games (by playing the vets) in the long term unless of course you are a lame duck coach looking to finish on a high note.

Imo, getting a RHD stud like Clarke in our d core that is needing to get younger and a much needed re vamp would help all of us forget about this season much sooner; preferably, all the FA d's walk except perhaps Hamonic on a low cost & short term deal !!!!

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

809812576_ScreenShot2021-05-16at12_56_53PM.thumb.png.6ac3784dc723d97b6724c2893d8958fe.png

Holy &^@#... We cant afford to win... If we win 1 more.... SJS will get better odds than us..  FK PRIDE. LOSE TO GET THE HIGHEST PICK POSSIBLE! 

Yeah, meaningless participation trophy but so far, (luckily for the team)JBs' drafting has shown to be the biggest x factor.

I wonder, who of the bottom three  will have a brighter future moving forward - Buffalo with all of the rumoured locker room drama, seems to be doing another re start.  Drafting Wallstedt might be a good position for them for there restart instead of filling there rosters with alot of the same types  (albeit very talented) - scorers.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Well isn't Calgary on the same mission then. Is this the kind of game you're looking for?

Dance Dancing GIF by BrownSugarApp

Yeah, would be interesting to see the compete level if the coaches decides to still go with a mostly veteran lineup..   Time to stop wasting our time, by playing the rookies and embrace the tank..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, tas said:

so you're saying you'd rather the team miss the playoffs and pick 14th overall, or ... ?

what's your point?

My point is that saying we’ve done this year after year (ruined our 1st pick by climbing1-2 spots at the end of the season) is completely false. We’ve went on winning streaks to end the season multiple times, sure. It’s never affected the team in a negative way. The fruits of our labour are ; Hughes, Pettersson and Podkolzin. 

draft position (with a scout like Benning) is meaningless and picking out of the top 10 would actually show progression in the team (since it would indicate that our core has actually acquired more points than the previous year).

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, would be interesting to see the compete level if the coaches decides to still go with a mostly veteran lineup..   Time to stop wasting our time, by playing the rookies and embrace the tank..

Well as VC posted, it's been announced Gadjovich is playing tonight and hopefully Lind as well. With Lockwood done his quarantine in time for the games in Calgary

11 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

if i had a choice I would  have 4 mottes on my team.(4 starting and  2  filling in)  he is 14th in the league in hits/60, 4th  in  blocked shots/60, 15th in giveaway/takeaway %/60, 33rd in pk killing for players who average over 1:30 sh toi/60 and 189th in ES PP/60 (horvat is 181 miller is 171 copp 154 crosby 124 boeser 99 pettersson 31)

Well we got a second Motte in Matthew Highmore.  We're halfway there. 

7 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Well as VC posted, it's been announced Gadjovich is playing tonight and hopefully Lind as well. With Lockwood done his quarantine in time for the games in Calgary

If true, tonights game might be watchable by seeing the future - hope they get legit minutes.  Embraced the tank and draft the best d man to make this season alot more forgettable - tank for Clarke !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Gadjovich. Essentially written off last year by most people I suspect. Arguably Utica’s best player this year, for sure best goal scorer. Makes his debut tonight. That’s pretty frickin cool!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1