The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

We are set to pick 7 to 10.  No other possibilities. 

Ceulemans will likely be available and probably one or two of the other guys that everyone loves.

It's not the end of the world especially in a year where scouting has been limited by kids playing limited games.

We will get a great player no doubt about it. I don't want to hear any more bitching and whining.  We will get a great player at 7 to 10 and absolutely could be one of the top players in the whole damn thing in a year where kids have not been able to play any where near a full season to be scouted.

Unless we pull an NYR or a Philly or a Dallas or a Carolina or a Chicago and win the lottery. And that's just from the last 5 drafts

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, firing a guy who's great at drafting right before the draft will help us nail that pick.

Love that people want to keep him around because hes good at one thing, drafting. Great gms can draft, trade, negotiate and sign quality players. I ran out of time.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, that was entertaining.

Not sure it was quite enough fun to make it worth losing two spots in the draft and wiping  away about a quarter of our lottery odds, just from tonight, but hey, it was a very Canucks thing to do.

And we’re undefeated during the 2021 playoffs, so there’s that. :towel:

We’ll probably sweep Calgary in this three game “playoff series,” finish the season at 22nd overall, drop a further 4 spots in the draft (or 6 spots counting tonight), and enter the lottery with about three times less of a chance of winning, than what our odds were sitting at before this game.

Uhhh we lost, Sid. Undefeated streak is over.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Why not? Lots of wicked players have been drafted in that 10th overall spot. Rantanen comes to mind off the top of my head. You could also get a Dal Colle at 4th overall. No sense worrying about losing. This is the most all over the board draft I’ve even seen. Trust the pick where we pick. That’s all we can do 

Guy will most likely take a good number of years to develop into playing a significant role on a team (baring luck).  Not all develop like Edler.  And even a phenom like Hughes will take a few more years before the defensive side of his game rounds into decent shape.

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

And the point is?  You were implying Calgary was throwing the game.  If you watched them play all season you would know that a collapse is nothing unusual for Calgary. 

I thought I was watching an all star game 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

This team can't even lose right:picard:

Remember the California Sweep at the end of season a few years ago, when Auston Matthews was the grad prize of the draft?

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guy will most likely take a good number of years to develop into playing a significant role on a team (baring luck).  Not all develop like Edler.  And even a phenom like Hughes will take a few more years before the defensive side of his game rounds into decent shape.

Yup very true. We’ve been lucky in that sense. The biggest and quickest jump in his draft position was Hoglander. That is some rare stuff for a second rounder. I don’t think anyone is this years draft will be NHL ready 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

damned when they win

damned when they lose

damned when they lose #improperly.

great comeback.

I dgaf about the premature draft angst.  been there done that - it was a waste of time - every time.

+1,000,000

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Anyhow, this team is bouncing back from COVID and I hope nothing but the best for them.

Sure, I'd love the consolation prize of a high draft pick but we don't always do too well in the NHL's "lottery".  May as well have the refs assign the order.

I'm more focused on keeping our young players inspired, confident, motivated and happy.  Not players we "hope for".  

People get so focused on names that they know little about like they're a guaranteed stud.  It's a roll of the dice, not a grand prize.

Time for some Kurt Russell!

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

damned when they win

damned when they lose

damned when they lose #improperly.

great comeback.

I dgaf about the premature draft angst.  been there done that - it was a waste of time - every time.

Waste of energy for sure. Haven’t we been down this road before or is everyone new here? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2