The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

44 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I ain't even mad at that. We ain't out tanking the leafs at that point. 

More pissed we didn't get Dubois. I was for sure thinking he would drop to us at 5th. Just like how Zegras was so tantalizing close in 2019. 

Canucks were never getting Dubois if he was available at 5th. My understanding is that Benning would have traded that pick to the Habs for PK Subban if Dubois was still available

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Some context: if you read a few pages back, i pretty much said the samething; earlier on alot of fans were calling this a weak draft with no true #1 d and I commented nobody new Chabot was a franchise d in his draft.   I agree, that a franchise player can come from any rounds in the draft but a top 3 just has a higher percentage of having an impact - in the end, it is all guess work and perhaps with hindsight in a few years this draft will outperform the initial consensus.

Fair enough. I missed a couple of pages. And yes as far as recent drafts go higher picks have a better chance of being higher end talent but it wasn't that long ago that a lot of top 5 pick dmen ended up being flops, at least based on draft position. I mean look at guys like Klesla, Pitkanen, Barker, Jack Johnson, Hickey, Bogosian, Schenn, Gudbranson, Larsson and Reinhart. All top 5 picks in the last 20 years that probably wouldn't even go in the 1st round in a redraft of their respective years.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Fair enough. I missed a couple of pages. And yes as far as recent drafts go higher picks have a better chance of being higher end talent but it wasn't that long ago that a lot of top 5 pick dmen ended up being flops, at least based on draft position. I mean look at guys like Klesla, Pitkanen, Barker, Jack Johnson, Hickey, Bogosian, Schenn, Gudbranson, Larsson and Reinhart. All top 5 picks in the last 20 years that probably wouldn't even go in the 1st round in a redraft of their respective years.

Yeah I remember the commentaries in those drafts - especially, from draft guru MacKenzie

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Stupid rule, yes. Mis-applied, no. Because part of the instigator rule includes "menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; obvious retaliation for an in game incident" Any one of those things gives the refs disclosure to hand out an instigator penalty.

Good chance, Bettman personally wrote this rule...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Canucks were never getting Dubois if he was available at 5th. My understanding is that Benning would have traded that pick to the Habs for PK Subban if Dubois was still available

Yeah that was the rumour back then.  With hindsight, good thing Columbus did us a favor...

All right, since we're most likely going to be drafting 9th overall...  here are the last few 9th overall picks:  

2019 Trevor Zegras 

2018 Vitali Kravtsov 

2017 Michael Rasmussen 

2016 Michail Sergachev 

2015 Zach Werenski 

2014 Nikolaj Ehlers 

2013 Bo Horvat 

There you have it folks.  

Edit: forgot about Seattle...  10th it is I guess

Edited by VancouverHabitant

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That's fine. Just find a GM foolish enough to trade a 1st round prospect and an early 2nd to value back 

And one foolish enough to take his 4 million cap hit with term for Tanner Pearson 

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here I was, enjoying my "Tank", then the 3rd period started. At first, I did not lift my head from reading CDC, then they scored another, I said "Those F'ers better not score another, then they did......I started to laugh! Then they score another, and we were down a goal with a few minutes, and I really started to sweat.....lol. Then, "son of a B" there is the tying goal......again I just laughed.......what's a guy to do? Then they went into OT, and Calgary scored. Fwew! LOL

Now, honestly I could care a less, if we win the rest of the games. As people have pointed out, the best player often comes from a spot not close to 1st OA, so does it really matter?

No, it does not! I will take what ever Jimbo gets us, and hope and pray, the picks turn out. Some one mentioned Ceulemans, and he actually had as many points as Clarke in the U18's and a very good +/-, which if I remember was close to Clarke's as well. But there are others around 10ish I like as well. But the truth is, I sure am glad Jimbo went down and watched the U18's. Better him watching and picking, then any of us "sad sacks"!

The one thing I remind myself of all the time, is how happy I was when we picked Juolevi (and I still am!) but he has not been without his disappointments. what I refused to do is play the what if game. Mainly because I really wanted Juolevi.  On the other side of that is I had really no idea who Hughes was, and when I goggled him, and seen his size, I was like man! I wonder if his parents let him out for the late games? Well, again, he showed me! LOL

So, all I do think is the better the pick, the more options it gives Jimbo, and that goes for every round. So, it does matter, but really, I can't tell the difference, so, it is what it is.

Having been a Canuck fan since day one, I expect this type of thing! All is good! :picard:

Good points, that drafting higher will also be beneficial in the later rounds.

Did you enjoy the All star game we all just saw ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

All right, since we're most likely going to be drafting 9th overall...  here are the last few 9th overall picks:  

2019 Trevor Zegras 

2018 Vitali Kravtsov 

2017 Michael Rasmussen 

2016 Michail Sergachev 

2015 Zach Werenski 

2014 Nikolaj Ehlers 

2013 Bo Horvat 

There you have it folks.  

Edit: forgot about Seattle...  10th it is I guess

Hey, I hear that Horvat guy is pretty good! :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points; did you enjoy the All star game we all just saw ?

You know what? I am wrapping my head around the fact we have just 2 more games this season, and I remember exactly how depressed I was when there was no hockey this past winter, and how happy I was when they started playing again.

In the big picture of things, this is small, that we did not make it................I wish we did, but it is what it is, and now I get to have a life again! For awhile, anyways!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1