The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, that was entertaining.

Not sure it was quite enough fun to make it worth losing two spots in the draft and wiping  away about a quarter of our lottery odds, just from tonight, but hey, it was a very Canucks thing to do.

We’ll probably sweep Calgary in the final two games of this three game “playoff series,” finish the season at 23rd overall, drop a further 3 spots in the draft (or 5 spots counting tonight), and enter the lottery with almost three times less of a chance of winning, than what our odds were sitting at before this game.

I had this game as a guaranteed loss.,and it was.The hockey gods stepped in on this game

If we get another point in the next two games, we drop yet again.

Hopefully , Sutter is giving his team hell.

38 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

And one foolish enough to take his 4 million cap hit with term for Tanner Pearson 

Pearson wasn't a promising 1st round prospect plus the Pens didn't give up anything else.

Also the Pens won two cups recently, so a team is allowed to make mistakes 

This is about as Canucks a game as you can get and I love it. I'm at a stage where it doesn't matter to me which way they games go, if they lose, yay better draft pick. If they win, hey I feel way better after a win anyway. Either way, I love watching the Canucks score goals, I love comebacks, this game was hilarious to watch. And of course we have the Edler goal fake out on the tip in by Boes. XD And we could have two more games like this. Sure, why not?

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Pearson wasn't a promising 1st round prospect plus the Pens didn't give up anything else.

Also the Pens won two cups recently, so a team is allowed to make mistakes 

Every team makes mistakes there friend. No GM can be as flawless as us fans 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

This year is so brutal lol.  We get a point but still lose.  Oh man, dropped 2 draft spots and didn't even get the satisfaction of a win.

Gonna have to win the draft aren't we?

If people are pinning their hopes on a draft pick that even if pans out is 3-4 years from having an impact, than we are cheering for a completely screwed team! 

I would rather trade the pick for an impact player now that fits our core.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Anyhow, this team is bouncing back from COVID and I hope nothing but the best for them.

Sure, I'd love the consolation prize of a high draft pick but we don't always do too well in the NHL's "lottery".  May as well have the refs assign the order.

I'm more focused on keeping our young players inspired, confident, motivated and happy.  Not players we "hope for".  

People get so focused on names that they know little about like they're a guaranteed stud.  It's a roll of the dice, not a grand prize.

so where have keeping our young players inspired confident motivated and happy gotten us in the past few years? coz we've gone on winning streak to tank our odds every year after getting eliminated. last year we lucked out to even make it to the playoff/play in series coz of covid that allowed players to rest up and heal and regroup. coz we were in a free fall right up to the stoppage.. so what do you propose? roll the dice on a draft pick rather than have a chance for a player that have a better chance of having success at the top of the draft, and pray it works out if not over paying in free agency to lure players to play here? coz we don't have any top end talent in the prospect pool anymore to fix the lineup problem and since you guys are ok with worse possible odds for picks.. looks like the only route to fix the issues we have is overpaying in free agency like we have every year for useless players to try to bandaid the problem.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here I was, enjoying my "Tank", then the 3rd period started. At first, I did not lift my head from reading CDC, then they scored another, I said "Those F'ers better not score another, then they did......I started to laugh! Then they score another, and we were down a goal with a few minutes, and I really started to sweat.....lol. Then, "son of a B" there is the tying goal......again I just laughed.......what's a guy to do? Then they went into OT, and Calgary scored. Fwew! LOL

Now, honestly I could care a less, if we win the rest of the games. As people have pointed out, the best player often comes from a spot not close to 1st OA, so does it really matter?

No, it does not! I will take what ever Jimbo gets us, and hope and pray, the picks turn out. Some one mentioned Ceulemans, and he actually had as many points as Clarke in the U18's and a very good +/-, which if I remember was close to Clarke's as well. But there are others around 10ish I like as well. But the truth is, I sure am glad Jimbo went down and watched the U18's. Better him watching and picking, then any of us "sad sacks"!

The one thing I remind myself of all the time, is how happy I was when we picked Juolevi (and I still am!) but he has not been without his disappointments. what I refused to do is play the what if game. Mainly because I really wanted Juolevi.  On the other side of that is I had really no idea who Hughes was, and when I goggled him, and seen his size, I was like man! I wonder if his parents let him out for the late games? Well, again, he showed me! LOL

So, all I do think is the better the pick, the more options it gives Jimbo, and that goes for every round. So, it does matter, but really, I can't tell the difference, so, it is what it is.

Having been a Canuck fan since day one, I expect this type of thing! All is good! :picard:

I think Carson C is really intriguing, watched a bunch of his AJHL highlights and kid can flat-out fly. Brandt aside from IQ seems to not have much else standout. Ceulemans might be more of a boom-bust but has much higher ceiling.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green is all about rewarding effort. 

How do you square that away when Hoglander is all effort though?

Green is all about rewarding veteran effort. 

Gadjovich made a bad mistake but also was actually forechecking hard and showed more willingness to defend a teammate than we have seen from everyone on this team not named MacEwan or arguably Hamonic. He didnt seem to get much ice time though. I liked his effort more than Boyd, Vesey, etc.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Every team makes mistakes there friend. No GM can be as flawless as us fans 

it's more about how many mistakes the GM makes against the overall success.

As for the Pens if you were to trace the trade they got Pearson for Hagelin and got Gudbransson for Pearson. It's not that bad actually since Hagelin was struggling with the Pens that time and Pearson was not just a fit. 

Plus I think even if the Pens did win two cups recently so it's easier to overlook any mistake a GM makes. Benning could have signed Loui Eriksson to a 7 year $10 million contract but if no one would care if Vancouver wins a cup.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah that was the rumour back then.  With hindsight, good thing Columbus did us a favor...

Speaking of hindsight this was a strange draft year. 

The Top 3 was set in stone with Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi and there were even talks that Laine could surpass Matthews. There was so much hype surrounding Laine and Puljujarvi that no one could have imagined their NHL careers would be underwhelming. Though that could change Puljujarvi seems to have figured it out and could surpass Laine if their respective trajectory continues.