The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

it's more about how many mistakes the GM makes against the overall success.

As for the Pens if you were to trace the trade they got Pearson for Hagelin and got Gudbransson for Pearson. It's not that bad actually since Hagelin was struggling with the Pens that time and Pearson was not just a fit. 

Plus I think even if the Pens did win two cups recently so it's easier to overlook any mistake a GM makes. Benning could have signed Loui Eriksson to a 7 year $10 million contract but if no one would care if Vancouver wins a cup.

This is a good point.

The reason Benning only has to be better than Buffalo's GM of the week, or Arizona's, or Ottawa's or (previously) Edmonton's to his fans is because he can't stack up to actual good GM's who limit their mistakes and correct them next time tather than msking the same ones repeatedly.

I have a high bar for a Canucks GM. I measure them against the best and brightest because thats what it will take to win a cup.

Just now, iinatcc said:

Speaking of hindsight this was a strange draft year. 

The Top 3 was set in stone with Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi and there were even talks that Laine could surpass Matthews. There was so much hype surrounding Laine and Puljujarvi that no one could have imagined their NHL careers would be underwhelming. Though that could change Puljujarvi seems to have figured it out and could surpass Laine if their respective trajectory continues.

Laine's confidence is shot. He needs a good coach more than most players in the league. Dude has the talent to be a 40 goal scorer.

Going to CBJ was probably the worst thing for him.

Oilers could use a great complementary piece with McDavid/Draisaitl and Poolparty has taken some strides towards that this year.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Laine's confidence is shot. He needs a good coach more than most players in the league. Dude has the talent to be a 40 goal scorer.

Going to CBJ was probably the worst thing for him.

Oilers could use a great complementary piece with McDavid/Draisaitl and Poolparty has taken some strides towards that this year.

Yep I can see Laine still being a very good player but I think with his size and scoring ability people were thinking he could be the next Ovi. So he will still be a good player but not the franchise player some were expecting.  

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

All star coach material; kidding aside, I wish him all.the best !

Yes,me too!  No hard feelings Travis and hope you have a wonderful rest of your life.  Hope your journey takes you to better places and you find better success than you had here in Vancouver. All the best and don't forget to shut the door behind you.......................!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes,me too!  No hard feelings Travis and hope you have a wonderful rest of your life.  Hope your journey takes you to better places and you find better success than you had here in Vancouver. All the best and don't forget to shut the door behind you.......................!

I still want to keep Travis Green actually. He was put in a difficult situation not getting a contract extension and, yes he's a professional, but that has to be lingering on someone especially if it's dragged out as long as it did.

That said he's probably not going to coach the Canucks next season. Even if they decide to extend him and offer him a contract, why would he agree on an extension if other teams are looking for a coach as well? And from what I hear Green has a very good rep around the league. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is a good point.

The reason Benning only has to be better than Buffalo's GM of the week, or Arizona's, or Ottawa's or (previously) Edmonton's to his fans is because he can't stack up to actual good GM's who limit their mistakes and correct them next time tather than msking the same ones repeatedly.

I have a high bar for a Canucks GM. I measure them against the best and brightest because thats what it will take to win a cup.

Which Jim Benning re-occurring Mistake are you refereeing to?  The one where he signs useless bottom six players to overpaid/overextended contracts (like Lucky Loui, Beagle, Mutt, Sutter, Roussel most recently) -or- the one where he lets all our player contracts expire with players leaving for nothing in return rather than trading them for something beforehand (like Tanev, Marky and Stech most recently to name just a few) -or- the one where he lets potential UFA players walk away from us rather than trade their rights to another team (Like Tryamkin, where Arizona was interested in him) -or - the one where he can't Multi-Task (like letting TT leave to Montreal (after wasting a 2nd rounder for only 10 weeks of service) because he was too busy signing (soon to be imprisoned) Lazy Jake - or- the one where his sense of player worth got the better of him signing Lazy Jake instead of TT for a measly $1.5M more who got 11 times Jakes point output (44 Vs. 4) Fu@k !  -or - some of his less than stellar drafting (Selecting Lazy Jake instead of Nylander/Ehlers 2014) (Selecting Tryamkin 3rd round 2014 - never played with us) (Brisbois 3rd rounder 2015 - not a point!), (Selecting Yo-Levi 1st Rd 2015, where he could have picked Tkachuk or many others) (Traded out 1st and 2nd picks last year and all we have to show for it is Miller who is "OK" and Lazy Jake instead instead of TT) -or - leaving us with yet another bottom of the pack performance and left out of the playoffs AGAIN this season just like most of his time here  ....................................................................................I think you get the point.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • RoughGame 1

27 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I still want to keep Travis Green actually. He was put in a difficult situation not getting a contract extension and, yes he's a professional, but that has to be lingering on someone especially if it's dragged out as long as it did.

That said he's probably not going to coach the Canucks next season. Even if they decide to extend him and offer him a contract, why would he agree on an extension if other teams are looking for a coach as well? And from what I hear Green has a very good rep around the league. 

Yes, he's a "swell" guy but no fire in belly and yes our NEW GM next year will have to decide whether to let him leave or give him the boot.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We need a stud D man.

Those guys will be gone by 10.

Says who? You seem to be forgetting this isn't a normal draft year. No one has been able to properly scout these kids. This is going to be a crapshoot no matter what.

I love how people whine and cry about our draft position as if we had any say in where the team drafts. Of all the years to whine like a loser about our draft position, this is not the year. There will be studs throughout this draft because good players will very likely fall since there was a lack of scouting this year.

Christ, I can't stand some of our fans.

• Cheers 3

53 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hoping we lose the next 2 - we need to keep our drafting position!  That is priority #1

Draft position does not matter this year. Seriously some players have not even been able to play this year. This is a draft where we will be like "how did he go that low?". 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here I was, enjoying my "Tank", then the 3rd period started. At first, I did not lift my head from reading CDC, then they scored another, I said "Those F'ers better not score another, then they did......I started to laugh! Then they score another, and we were down a goal with a few minutes, and I really started to sweat.....lol. Then, "son of a B" there is the tying goal......again I just laughed.......what's a guy to do? Then they went into OT, and Calgary scored. Fwew! LOL

Now, honestly I could care a less, if we win the rest of the games. As people have pointed out, the best player often comes from a spot not close to 1st OA, so does it really matter?

No, it does not! I will take what ever Jimbo gets us, and hope and pray, the picks turn out. Some one mentioned Ceulemans, and he actually had as many points as Clarke in the U18's and a very good +/-, which if I remember was close to Clarke's as well. But there are others around 10ish I like as well. But the truth is, I sure am glad Jimbo went down and watched the U18's. Better him watching and picking, then any of us "sad sacks"!

The one thing I remind myself of all the time, is how happy I was when we picked Juolevi (and I still am!) but he has not been without his disappointments. what I refused to do is play the what if game. Mainly because I really wanted Juolevi.  On the other side of that is I had really no idea who Hughes was, and when I goggled him, and seen his size, I was like man! I wonder if his parents let him out for the late games? Well, again, he showed me! LOL

So, all I do think is the better the pick, the more options it gives Jimbo, and that goes for every round. So, it does matter, but really, I can't tell the difference, so, it is what it is.

Having been a Canuck fan since day one, I expect this type of thing! All is good! :picard:

This is pure gold Jan.... 

At the time a few JB haters were complaining that JB did not spend time on the Virtanen situation, instead of scouting players at the U18's... So happy that he did so himself. If its all duds so be it. But at least he has given himself a chance to strike it rich.... again...

Edited by spook007

22 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Draft position does not matter this year. Seriously some players have not even been able to play this year. This is a draft where we will be like "how did he go that low?". 

True but still it's better to get a higher pick so you have more options to chose from.

I prefer to lose the next games. Winning the next 2 games isn't going to matter we already know the Canucks have good young players and we know it's the bad contracts that is holding the team down. 

Edited by iinatcc

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

WE DIDN'T PICK VILARDI OR GLASS 

That was honestly the epitome of b*itching and whining I've seen on the internet in recent years. This includes pivotal moments from around the sports world in all the leagues I follow. CDC and the general Canucks fan base is embarrassingly whiny and premature with their overreactions. Hard to defend us sometimes from friends and family that are fans of other teams

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Pearson wasn't a promising 1st round prospect plus the Pens didn't give up anything else.

Also the Pens won two cups recently, so a team is allowed to make mistakes 

i just saved two people from a car crash. what kind of crimes can i commit now? that will be forgiven?

5 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I had this game as a guaranteed loss.,and it was.The hockey gods stepped in on this game

If we get another point in the next two games, we drop yet again.

Hopefully , Sutter is giving his team hell.

LUL. some of you kids have a wild imagination. 

all these tweeners and contract players on our team are playing like their livelihood is on the line. the Sutter advise sounds about as scammy as anything I heard this year.

1 hour ago, 13231 said:

That was honestly the epitome of b*itching and whining I've seen on the internet in recent years. This includes pivotal moments from around the sports world in all the leagues I follow. CDC and the general Canucks fan base is embarrassingly whiny and premature with their overreactions. Hard to defend us sometimes from friends and family that are fans of other teams

you might have time to apologize, anyways, I wish you well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 13231 said:

Most of us were just following the draft rankings from the hockey analysts. Which isn't the worst thing to do. I mean Benning did go off the board by picking Juolevi over Tkachuk and many of us wished he didn't. 

I admit I was one of the folks that overreacted to this but when Glass is being compared to Mark Scheifele you can't blame us for getting to excited. 

That said I got over it after a week after all that I heard about Pettersson.  

38 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i just saved two people from a car crash. what kind of crimes can i commit now? that will be forgiven?

If you are in LA basically everything and yes :P

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1