The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 16, 2021 | 7:30 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nothing wrong with that.    Draft is loaded with D's, IF we draft another LHD then one of our current ones, or the one we do, will likely get traded though. 

Edit:   The Hockey-Writers did a first round best selection by round for the past decade.  

Guess who the winners were?

At number 5:  EP

At number 7: Schieffle with an asterisk that QHughes could steal that, close second 

At number 9: Bo Horvat 

At number 23: BB

Im not too worried about where we draft, the past  has already shown we seem to mostly get our man no matter where, and not only get our man, but get the best guy we could both that draft and compared to, well a lot of others too. 

I think when people see Podkolzin play they’re going to be very impressed we got him at 10.  And this draft we are going to get a really good prospect too.  Benning was at the recent U18s lasering in on guys our scouts have been tracking.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Most of us were just following the draft rankings from the hockey analysts. Which isn't the worst thing to do. I mean Benning did go off the board by picking Juolevi over Tkachuk and many of us wished he didn't. 

I admit I was one of the folks that overreacted to this but when Glass is being compared to Mark Scheifele you can't blame us for getting to excited. 

That said I got over it after a week after all that I heard about Pettersson.  

JB drafting for sure saved his job.   And he didn't give up on his pool last off season.    AG and JV ugh.    Too much cap on the sidelines ugh.   Thing is - if he drafted like where he actually did (9ish overall), we'd still be a couple years out and those placeholders wouldn't matter one bit either.    Instead he drafted around 3-4 best overall ... compared to his peers. 

Getting a high draft pick puts more options in Bennings hands. Higher pick less risk of making a mistake. Dropping position because of the lottery is just one of the risks. That risk shouldn’t minimalize the preference for as high a pick as possible. 
While I would have preferred a 5-4 loss last night I give full credit to the boys for a dominating 3rd period. The Flamers management must be crapping bricks these days. Marty looked pretty pissed with the effort.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Getting a high draft pick puts more options in Bennings hands. Higher pick less risk of making a mistake. Dropping position because of the lottery is just one of the risks. That risk shouldn’t minimalize the preference for as high a pick as possible. 
While I would have preferred a 5-4 loss last night I give full credit to the boys for a dominating 3rd period. The Flamers management must be crapping bricks these days. Marty looked pretty pissed with the effort.

Ya, what’s up with Marky this year?  He’s really regressed a lot.  I’m wondering if he misses Ian Clarke’s coaching?  Marky used to be solid, but now he moves too much.  He’s sloppy.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, what’s up with Marky this year?  He’s really regressed a lot.  I’m wondering if he misses Ian Clarke’s coaching?  Marky used to be solid, but now he moves too much.  He’s sloppy.  

there's some sort of vortex in Alberta where people get too much money and start making bad decisions. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

thats the idea, but how many times have we seen GMs make mistakes and other teams benefit (Hughes says 'hi') or you don't know for a while that you picked the wrong guy (i.e. Jake). Or sometimes the 1st  or 2nd overall is decent but not remarkable (e.g.Hischier and Patrick).

Outside of the really generational guys we just don't know, we can guess but thats all it is. There's too many risks we can't actually quantify to make a fully informed decision. 

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I really am enjoying watching that. I'll be really surprised if Treliving has a job in two weeks. 

• Cheers 2

Very Canuck game. Only thing that should matter is player development, assessing the kids we have, what does Green do? 4:55 icetime to Gadjovich. In a mean nothing game this guy can't find 10min of ice time for the kid. Add to that the come back to gain a point and this game reeks of Canucks, can't win when it matters can't lose when it doesn't. 

Edited by PLOGUE
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would agree 100% if this is was any other year. With the lack of games played in the other leagues, and scouting opportunities few and far between due to Covid, it's possible 1-15 can be all over the map. Luckily, since we're hurting in almost every depth category except goaltending, whoever we select will have the opportunity to be impactful for us as early as next season, if not the following. 

I'm very happy with the Canucks effort last night, particularly the 3rd period. It's been a difficult season and I have a feeling they're going to go all out in the next 2 games in order to get ahead of Ottawa. Ideal for the draft? Not really. Great for Morale? Absolutely!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Very Canuck game. Only thing that should matter is player development, assessing the kids we have, what does Green do? 4:55 icetime to Gadjovich. In a mean nothing game this guy can't find 10min of ice time for the kid. Add to that the come back to gain a point and this game reeks of Canucks, can't win when it matters can't lose when it doesn't. 

Well, he was out of the game for a bit with the fight, instigator, and the 10 min misconduct that goes along with that, otherwise he might have logged some more mins.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Marty 6x6 is going to give a lot of Flames fans serious heart problems for the foreseeable future. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think when people see Podkolzin play they’re going to be very impressed we got him at 10.  

I'm impressed with the leadership he's showing and he's not even 20 yet. Kids going to be a gem. 

I'm hoping we can steal another Russian player prior to expansion - maybe Zadorov from CHI? I don't think they will protect him. Could probably get him for cheap.