The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest Conversation With Those Who Still Support Management

Rate this topic

JohnTavares

15 hours ago, stawns said:

This is the most depth this organization has ever had on the 46 years I've been a fan

:sadno:

The homerism is top-notch I’ll give you that. Most organizational depth in 46 years but can’t make the playoffs or finish ahead of the rebuilding Senators.

Where you getting the good kush?

• 6 months later...
On 5/19/2021 at 7:21 AM, stawns said:

This is the most depth this organization has ever had on the 46 years I've been a fan

Still? 

This just goes to show how blind fans are with respect to Jim Benning and co.  

Jim needs to go and many have been echoing this sentiment for years.

Edited by JohnTavares
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I think if you're still supporting management at this point, you don't really care who is managing. 

Iron Mike could come back to be the next GM and I think he'd have the support of a lot of people who just wan't to watch the Canucks and aren't really bothered by if they ever win a Stanley Cup. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/16/2021 at 4:26 PM, Alflives said:

OJ will be a player for us.  I see him as taking much of Edler’s minutes.  Plus OJ passes fantastic.  Nylander is always going to be “Double Flamingo” boy.  :lol:

image.png.a33b9a01fab4a0d92dd4cdb780f91943.png

Yessir.

54k posts and still failing at evaluating talent... are you sure you're not Jim?

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 4:38 PM, Sbriggs said:

Juolevei was not  a miss, he has had injury issues and now seems to be fine and will be a top 4, JV is a bust but in JB defence no GM bats 100% and considering what he has done with our prospect pool I'll forgive him on the few picks he may have missed on

Yessssssssir

• Haha 1

I have watched the Canucks for close to 50 years . This team has some potential to be as good as 09 to 11. However it is missing a lot of pieces and it was not the time to go all in.  There is also some concerns about Petey being a true number one center. No number one center and your done.

Plus I have concerns about overall construction and chemistry. It is important that the pieces add up to a team and not just a bunch of talented players.

I think it is time for a new set of eyes.

Hughes is have a much better year defensively. I think.

Edited by appleboy

On 5/16/2021 at 4:14 PM, King Heffy said:

The vets were signed to avoid going full Edmonton and destroying prospects in roles they weren't able to handle.  The overpayments were necessary due to the team being bad, in a market with high taxes.  The success of the young players so early pulled the team back into contention quicker than expected, which made the contracts an issue. 

DESTROYING PROSPECTS

I thought you said that was all Greens fault?

On 5/16/2021 at 4:38 PM, Sbriggs said:

Juolevei was not  a miss, he has had injury issues and now seems to be fine and will be a top 4, JV is a bust but in JB defence no GM bats 100% and considering what he has done with our prospect pool I'll forgive him on the few picks he may have missed on

On 5/16/2021 at 4:41 PM, Sbriggs said:

No way, OJ has been too limited on his ice time and when he has been in the lineup he has been good. He'll for sure be a top 4. I see you like to shout loudly about the misses that JB has had at the draft but what about his hits? Several home runs as I see it and the best GM at drafting in Canucks history

On 5/16/2021 at 5:16 PM, bishopshodan said:

JB is good. He has drafted very well. 

I think that completely explains my opinion in great detail. 

On 5/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, Alflives said:

Like pointed out before to this rather “dishonest” OP, rebuilding teams cover for those first rounders that aren’t home runs by finding gems later in the draft.  Benning found Rathbone, and Hollander outside of round one.  That’s how winn8ng teams are built.  

On 5/16/2021 at 7:23 PM, Sbriggs said:

No I've just been a fan for 40+ years and hate solid negativity

On 5/16/2021 at 7:37 PM, Patel Bure said:

OJ still has lots of time to develop into a good hockey player.  To put things into perspective, he’s only 6 months older than Cale Makar.  

On 5/17/2021 at 6:05 AM, Alflives said:

Lots of crying by the OP, so here you go friend.  It’s going to be okay. :canucks:

image.gif.f7644af3aaba60ee3e7f554b6608a5e7.gif

On 5/17/2021 at 7:47 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

There are no honest discussions going on here about management. This thread should be closed for false pretenses. 

On 5/16/2021 at 4:26 PM, Alflives said:

OJ will be a player for us.  I see him as taking much of Edler’s minutes.  Plus OJ passes fantastic.  Nylander is always going to be “Double Flamingo” boy.  :lol:

image.png.a33b9a01fab4a0d92dd4cdb780f91943.png

:lol:

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 2

On 5/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, stawns said:

Two years ago we had better depth. 
Tanev, Stecher, Toffoli, Gaudette, Virtanen, Edler, Fantenberg, Leivo, Roussell, Beagle, Erikssån(hunted down here but one of the more intelligent and aware defensiively players we had) and Benn.

Eleven players had over 50% in point production.

This season it’s six players.

Back then we had a lot of depthreserve in Utica also with players like MacEwan, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Baertschi… 

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, 73 Percent said:

I support JB because hes the best drafting GM we've ever had. I'm a firm believer that that is how you build a team. Build through the draft and supplement through FA and trades. 

I want to make a couple comments I dont agree with in your original post (cor the record I think it's well thought out and reasonable, unlike the typical &^@# managment content). 

You go on to criticize Benning for letting toffoli walk, then criticize him for retaing Pearson. Textbook contradiction. JB has his flaws. This isnt one of them. He learned from his mistake. Toffoli isnt a PPG guy. Hes having a year he wont repeat ever again. BOOK IT. if JB doesnt sign pearson all his haters come back and say he lost an asset when we acquired him and let him walk for nothing if he has a decent year. Toffoli played here for a couple months. LET IT GO HE WAS A RENTAL.

As for not trading Virtanen he was coming of a year that he would have been a 20g20a forward. He was supposed to be our toffoli this year. That didnt pan out due to jake being jake. This has nothing to do with JB. Like the Pearson/toffoli thing if we traded virt to keep tanev, and virt goes off and tanev played his regular 50 games (in an 82 game season) you criticize JB for that too. 

Theres no winning against a monday morning QB. Which is what you and many of JBs critics do.

Bad GMs are good at nothing (snow). Good Gms are good at a couple things (benning). Great GMs are good at everything (yzerman).  I support JB because hes a good JB albeit not great one.

so, the bottom line is you are accepting of mediocrity