The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest Conversation With Those Who Still Support Management

Rate this topic

JohnTavares

1 minute ago, JohnTavares said:

Nice. These vets really stopped the Canucks from being one of the worst teams in the past 7 years.

People also forget that the Oilers brought in bad veterans (Ference, Hordichuk, Nikitin, Fayne, Eager, Belanger, Pouliot) for mentorship too.

For some reason everyone seems to think

a) It's impossible to have veteran insulation on short-term deals.

b) Only bad players with no other justifiable qualities can be veteran insulation.

I don't get it.

• Cheers 1

I honestly don’t know what everyone of freaking out about this year.

We are correcting the cap issue and growing our team. So many great young players on this team and getting greater. We have more beauty’s on the way. Maybe JB doesn’t make the cut but his hands are all over this core of players. Will always be thankful for JB there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought this thread was “Honest Conversation...” 

JB wanted a center PLD and once he was gone turned to the other glaring need, defence. I had no problem with the idea that a defenceman was the best option for the team. Choosing Pettersson one year doesn’t make Jim a super scout and choosing Juolevi another year doesn’t make him terrible. 

Look at his whole body of work and if your not satisfied I have no problem with that. I am more than pleased with the team’s draft record under JB. I have some reservations about other aspects of the job he has done but I have yet to hear FA’s opinion. So I’ll wait.

No thank you.  In this thread when we’re trying to evaluate someone we cherry pick two examples - one from 5 years ago and one from 7 years ago.  

Somehow we are also very likely big fans of “analytics.”

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Virtanen and Juolevi weren't whiffs at their respective positions?

How can this be an honest conversation when the Benning shills literally will defend him until they die? It's eerily similar to down south and Mr Trump.

17/31 players virtanen played more games from  the first round

the player above and the player below virtanen played more games

if you took all the players selected from the 2014-2018 drafts the canucks 1st round picks have played more games per capita than the vast majority(ie amount of draft picks)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We are correcting the cap issue and growing our team. So many great young players on this team and getting greater. We have more beauty’s on the way. Maybe JB doesn’t make the cut but his hands are all over this core of players. Will always be thankful for JB there. 

Terrible cap sheet, below average prospect pool, players needing new deals, bad contracts on the books...

You really don't see any issues right now? Wow.

Just now, Devron44 said:

Well said. 

You can be a supporter of what JB has done and the players he brought us but also realize it’s time for a new GM to take the team to the next level.

Most GMs dont make it as long as he has. Sometimes a new voice and a clear vision is needed m. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad GM.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

17/31 players virtanen played more games from  the first round

the player above and the player below virtanen played more games

if you took all the players selected from the 2014-2018 drafts the canucks 1st round picks have played more games per capita than the vast majority(ie amount of draft picks)

Yeah, did noticed that stat about that draft - Del Cole for example, has bust out.

5 minutes ago, Josepho said:

People also forget that the Oilers brought in bad veterans (Ference, Hordichuk, Nikitin, Fayne, Eager, Belanger, Pouliot) for mentorship too.

b) Only bad players with no other justifiable qualities can be veteran insulation.

I don't get it.

I think the people here have parroted themselves too much.

The JB ideology is a little too far gone here.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I don't think it's disingenuous for an owner to want to try and make the playoffs every season, especially in Canada.  That should always be the bar you try to reach.  It makes it tougher to rebuild, but I think JB has balanced that fairly well.

I will say, and have always said, that I doubt JB will be here to enjoy the fruits of his labour, much the same way Nonis wasn't after his rebuild.

It's surely disingenuous imo for an owner to publicly say that his GM has complete autonomy when it's clear he never did. 

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yup, hope there Stanley Cup drought continues well into the next Millennium.

I could see getting Lou Lam as our President as a really good move.  He’s a proven winner.  But he’s with the Islanders now, and made them great.  Any team letting him get away would be just stupid.  

Just now, JohnTavares said:

Terrible cap sheet, below average prospect pool, players needing new deals, bad contracts on the books...

Our prospect pool is average because our prospects are all graduating to the NHL.

What a horrible problem to have :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, JohnTavares said:

Not really no. Half the prospect pool is on our roster now playing significant roles. Sorry we didn’t buy out players, move assets and go all in this year 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Our prospect pool is average because our prospects are all graduating to the NHL.

What a horrible problem to have :lol:

The point of a rebuilding team is to continually have a strong prospect pool in order to insert ELC talents in the lineup.

Even with the prospects that have "graduated" to the NHL, the pool is not strong.

Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, DiPietro, Lockwood, Jurmo, Podkolzin, Woo....

There are only two above average prospects on that list (Pods and Rathbone).

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I don't get it.

Exactly. The parallels to the Oilers $&!#stain years everyone here mocks is undeniable actually.

2 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

The point of a rebuilding team is to continually have a strong prospect pool in order to insert ELC talents in the lineup.

Even with the prospects that have "graduated" to the NHL, the pool is not strong.

Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, DiPietro, Lockwood, Jurmo, Podkolzin, Woo....

There are only two above average prospects on that list (Pods and Rathbone).

We are inserting ELC talent into the lineup, which team are you following?

If all of our 1st and 2nd round picks are graduating what’s the issue?

We had no first last draft because we got Miller, that’s why our pool looks weaker. And magically after this upcoming draft it will be strong again. Amazing how that works eh?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Why would JB take the job if he wasn't allowed to build the team his own way?

Obviously his vision was in line with AQ's.

Trevor took the job with the understanding he had autonomy as well and look how that ended.   Never once since Trevor Linden was drafted into this franchise has his integrity ever been questioned,  can the same be said of FA?  Hockey wasn't Trevor's life after he left his career,  imo it was easy for him to leave his position when it was clear FA wasn't going to live up to his word which was to give him autonomy - JB otoh is a career hockey guy, he's not going to quit and pursue other interests and he knows how hard it is to get back into a GM position after you leave. I don't think JB has had autonomy but he's sticking it out, doing what he can, and making the most of the opportunity while he still has it.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I could see getting Lou Lam as our President as a really good move.  He’s a proven winner.  But he’s with the Islanders now, and made them great.  Any team letting him get away would be just stupid.  

So the Leafs lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Now going back to when these players were signed who would you have signed instead? 

Loui wasn't avoidable because of the twins but many of the later contracts could gave been filled with cheapest possible and prospects.

I rather pay bonus to our prospects instead of overpaying ufas.