The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gutsy effort tonight and Boeser/Miller looked good but really impressed me was the kid Jonah

Rate this topic

Harold27k

39 minutes ago, logic said:

Fighting is apart of the code, apart of the fabric of hockey. Not because it generates money lmfao. I'll put my house on the fact that more players themselves support fighting than don't. Dirty players need some way to be held accountable, as well as a way to relieve tension in a game if dirty plays are going back and forth. It is a much needed equalizer and aspect of the game of hockey.

If you think fighting is just about generating money i recommend that you check out the documentary 'Ice Guardians' on Netflix

So why let the referees fighting continue if it's not about expectation(money) from the crowd?

Fighting is not some sort of code. Fighting isn't essential to hockey.  Therefor just the fools fight. 

The smart ones don't want to risk any unnecessary injuries. 

Players like Jonah often take a little extra time to develop their NHL game.

Big solid players cannot get away with 'dipsy-doodling' and spinning out of trouble ala Q. Hughes.

Loved Todd Bertuzzi in a Canuck uni, but it would have been difficult to put up with his early years.

Jonah has paid some dues in Utica and built his game to the point that he is a valuable player at the AHL level now.

These 'tryouts' with the big club are not to see if Jonah is ready for full-time NHL duty.

Extra time and steady improvement will still be required, as well as rookie and sophomore campaigns that might not look quite like Petey's did.

Not saying he's guaranteed to make it, just that it is way too early (imo, of course) to write him off when he has a chance to develop into the type of player that is still required in the NHL (Sorry Timrafan, pro hockey is no place for turning the other cheek - cost us The Cup perhaps.) and the best way to fill this position is internally because fully-developed power forwards (especially ones who can score) are very difficult and expensive to acquire otherwise.

Personally, I just like Jonah too, and always hope all of our prospects turn out great.

I guess the other side of this coin might be that management might be looking to make decisions on prospects like Jonah and Lind.

This is one of my favorite parts of being a fan; watching how they develop players and decide which to keep and which to trade, etc.

We are going to lose somebody to The KKKrackheads (no whinging please), who would you be ok with losing?

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Josepho said:

He played under 5 minutes, was incapable of generating any offence while he was on the ice, and had a bad turnover leading to a goal against.

He literally did nothing.

You’re right but I think it’s more of an issue of people on here simply trying to encourage and support the new guy trying to break in to the line-up.  It’s not always about “advanced stats” or what a guy did or didn’t do (which in this case, JG stuck up for a teammate and fought from what I understand).  Would be nice if you and your boys from HF learn this simple concept one day.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

If he regularly hits, fights, and pots the odd goal here and there on a 4th line role I mean you cant go wrong. The Canucks sorely need more guys that can play a heavy game. Last night didn't give us enough of a picture as to what he can be other than a bad turnover and the fight. Hopefully he gets more than 5 minutes of icetime in the next couple of games. Anything to get Vesey and Boyd out of the lineup. 

26 minutes ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

But getting instigating when we could have pp and that lead to flames scoring 4 goals.. should have waited after the pp to fight!! 

Anybody else think we got jobbed on that call?

Sure, Gadj skated right at him, but Mackey immediately cross-checked Jonah in the face area before Jonah had touched him.

Mackey should have received the instigator, imo, and they both earned 5 for fighting.

At what point did Gadjovich instigate the fight?

Are we giving instigator penalties for looking intimidating?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Gadjovich is a guy that is a beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time. He's not a guy that goes out there an makes plays happen, but he can take advantage of when the plays come to him. To say he has way more upside than Macewan is nonsensical. 

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

all i got to say is you got a easy way through to your heart. Start a fight  after a player gets hit hard  and he's suddenly the golden child?

Gadj must have been panicking after realizing how bad  he was playing, How do I  get off  the Ice while still looking good? hmmmmmmmmmm

all im saying is there  is only one motte,  who actually is a excellent player.

I also like Motte a lot.  I'm just a big fan of Gadjovich through his development and don't want to protect Pearson over him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

You’re right but I think it’s more of an issue of people on here simply trying to encourage and support the new guy trying to break in to the line-up.  It’s not always about “advanced stats” or what a guy did or didn’t do (which in this case, JG stuck up for a teammate and fought from what I understand).  Would be nice if you and your boys from HF learn this simple concept one day.  

I have no problem with supporting players and wanting them to do well, but there's more to playing hockey than participating in a fight -- it isn't 1985. I'm not going to pretend he had some impressive debut.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Anybody else think we got jobbed on that call?

Sure, Gadj skated right at him, but Mackey immediately cross-checked Jonah in the face area before Jonah had touched him.

Mackey should have received the instigator, imo, and they both earned 5 for fighting.

At what point did Gadjovich instigate the fight?

Are we giving instigator penalties for looking intimidating?

As much as we all want to see it, I would bet if we had another Gino like tough guy, that he would get bad calls like this and put his team down and make a tough player less effective.

Like everything else in life that changes, i can see fighting one day being outlawed a automatic suspension, but the DOP (dopes) would Actually have to be doing their job then and ejecting or suspending dangerous plays with no black and white frame by frame replays (remembering Jakes 1st suspension for carelessness)-funny how we always accepted weird suspensions on the Canucks, believing it would be the new norm on all calls

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Gadovich he went looking for Calgary dman after a cheap shot on Hughes and he was all go!   What a difference from a washed up Rouselle who is all bark and little go now.

And as much as I had been lookin forward to Zack Mackewan in the lineup most of the season and was hoping Green would start him more when injuries were not so prevalent ,this kid has much more upside. He has shown a real goal scoring talent in Utica with 15 goals in less games but he is tough and willing to initiate and we need this type of player to be a regular in the lineup.

Lets do something right nuck management and keep him off the exposure draft wire to the Seattle Kracken pls

Other than the fight, I thought objectively, he looked a little slow out there. He needs to work a lot harder on his foot speed, especially his first few strides, to really have an impact at this level.

The turnover at the blueline that lead to the first Calgary goal, I'm willing to write off to inexperience and trying to do too much in his first game. Needs to keep it simple until he gets used to the faster pace of the NHL.

I did like how he really went straight at Mackey after that hit, there was no question for Mackey that he had to answer the bell.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I have no problem with supporting players and wanting them to do well, but there's more to playing hockey than participating in a fight -- it isn't 1985. I'm not going to pretend he had some impressive debut.

Agreed that fighting doesn’t have the same value as it did during the 80’s and 90’s, but standing up for one’s teammates and demonstrating to your teammates that you have their backs is still a thing.  With that in mind, I see no problem with posters on here offering praise to JG and encouraging the guy.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1