The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gutsy effort tonight and Boeser/Miller looked good but really impressed me was the kid Jonah

Rate this topic

Its hard to get a read on the kid with 5 minutes of ice time.

I like that he stood up for his teammate. The instigator call on that was garbage tbh andI am not a blame the refs kind of guy. Both guys went at each other there. Good fight shoukd have just been 5 each.

As for the mistake that cost the goal, ya it was a case of trying to do too much instead of the safe play.

But think back to your last job and ask yourself if you were still nervous 5 minutes after starting lol.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Deets said:

There we have it, boys. We tried him out for 5 min and he didn't win the game for us. Time to move on!

Can you please point out where I said that Gadjovich had no chance of becoming a player and that it was time to move on?

Edited by Josepho
13 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Gadovich he went looking for Calgary dman after a cheap shot on Hughes and he was all go!   What a difference from a washed up Rouselle who is all bark and little go now.

And as much as I had been lookin forward to Zack Mackewan in the lineup most of the season and was hoping Green would start him more when injuries were not so prevalent ,this kid has much more upside. He has shown a real goal scoring talent in Utica with 15 goals in less games but he is tough and willing to initiate and we need this type of player to be a regular in the lineup.

Lets do something right nuck management and keep him off the exposure draft wire to the Seattle Kracken pls

Fiction: Hughes / Fact: Highmore

Fiction: Rouselle / Fact: Roussel

Fiction: 15 goals in less games / Fact: 15 goals in 18 games

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

If 5 minutes of icetime, directly responsible for goal against with errant pass through the middle of the ice, having a difficult time keeping up with the quickness/pace of game, and being fairly pedestrian for 6 of 7 shifts impresses you, then you're easy to impress.

From what I saw, it was a tough debut for Jonah Gadjovich.  Gonna go out on a limb and say that this will be the worst NHL game of young Jonah's career...he's got a lot of better days ahead.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I really like Motte too, but he does get injured a lot.  I think Motte, to be an effective player, has to play a certain style.  Unfortunately his body size doesn’t allow him to play that style without getting injured.  

While I do agree, perhaps not being one of the only guys willing to make hits will help.

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Anybody else think we got jobbed on that call?

Sure, Gadj skated right at him, but Mackey immediately cross-checked Jonah in the face area before Jonah had touched him.

Mackey should have received the instigator, imo, and they both earned 5 for fighting.

At what point did Gadjovich instigate the fight?

Are we giving instigator penalties for looking intimidating?

It was actually Chatfield that skated over to Mackey, both had their sticks up, then Gadjovich skated in and challenged Mackey.  That's why Gadj got the instigator.

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

only through coaching, I think we have a number of guys that would be fine to engage more if it was allowed. 

I find it hard to believe that the coach is telling players not to engage in physical play

40 minutes ago, Googlie said:

It was actually Chatfield that skated over to Mackey, both had their sticks up, then Gadjovich skated in and challenged Mackey.  That's why Gadj got the instigator.

I'd much rather watch a clip of Gadj fighting than a clip of Daniel getting speedbagged by Marchand and turning the other cheek (barf).

Look, there is a role for guys like Gadj who are willing to stand up for teammates and drop em.  In order for him to be on the team though he has to be able to play.

So in 5 minutes of icetime he established he is willing to stand up and fight for his teammates.  He has not had anywhere near enough ice time yet to determine if he is going to be able to be a contributor in other ways.  Team absolutely needs to find a couple guys who can dish out the rough stuff and also play hockey.

If Gadj can become one that would be very welcome!

• Hydration 1

Get Gadj working with the same skating coach that Horvat worked with. He just needs to be a bit faster on his first few steps, his cruising speed seems, generally, okay.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Get Gadj working with the same skating coach that Horvat worked with. He just needs to be a bit faster on his first few steps, his cruising speed seems, generally, okay.

First  4 strides the most important

• Hydration 1
32 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I miss when Bo used to be able to skate past players. He rarely uses his speed anymore I feel like his technique went away or something. One season he was blowing by everybody and then now he never drives around players except for the super rare play now. :( 

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I miss when Bo used to be able to skate past players. He rarely uses his speed anymore I feel like his technique went away or something. One season he was blowing by everybody and then now he never drives around players except for the super rare play now. :( 

I think its called exhaustion.

I really don't think most fans understand that there is a significant number of players on this team, who are still recovering from Covid. Just because they don't have it anymore, anyone who has significant symptoms from it, it can take months to fully recover, to clear it completely out and to fully regain strength.

• Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think its called exhaustion.

I really don't think most fans understand that there is a significant number of players on this team, who are still recovering from Covid. Just because they don't have it anymore, anyone who has significant symptoms from it, it can take months to fully recover, to clear it completely out and to fully regain strength.

I'm talking about pre-covid though. Post covid is expected but he hasn't driven the net all year. I think it was 2017, maybe 18 that he was going too the net like a madman. To me that's vintage Horvat and the guy's only in his mid 20's lol. 

I'm talking about pre-covid though. Post covid is expected but he hasn't driven the net all year. I think it was 2017, maybe 18 that he was going too the net like a madman. To me that's vintage Horvat and the guy's only in his mid 20's lol. 

Early on, before the schedule really got on top of the team, he was doing it. after about the 4 week mark, all our players were looking pretty bad on the energy scale, and it didn't help that we didn't have any practice time for the first 6 weeks of the season, to try and work on systems and integration of new players into the lineup.

I'd say he's picking his spots primarily because he also plays a semi-defensive role on his line.  Especially with EP40 down, more attention can be placed on him and his line, so he needs to make sure he's not too far out of position in case someone is able to pokecheck him or somehow catch up and steal the puck from him.

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

First  4 strides the most important

Watching him as closely as I could, this was my observation as well. He "lumbered" and was "clunky" in his stride. Those first 4 steps need considerable attention if he's going to make it on the 3rd or 4th line. He has a spot on my team with that present skating ability if he can score 35 goals and act as a physical deterrent to the targeting of our slighter players, but, for me, the bottom 6 forward group is much more mobile.