The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 18, 2021 | 1 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gotta say, the guy that has (pleasantly) surprised me is Rathbone.

Need some defensive/size/physicality to compliment the puck movers we have in Rathbone/Hughes/Schmidt.

McNabb-Schmidt was when Schmidt was at his best.

• Hydration 1
11 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Yes to that! Yes to Lind, yes to Rathbone, I like how these guys are playing their guts out for their livelihood. The guys on the fringe that is.

Schmidt and Myers have each sat out for a game. Now it's Hughes' and Edler's turn to sit out for one game each for the remaining two games.

I think both Rathbone and Myers will draw back in and Hughes/Edler and Chatfield will draw out.

• Vintage 3

Enjoying watching our youngins' get some late-season love & roster-chance. Still very proud of this team. For the record, I hope JB gets at least 1 more season to see his work through. If there's a change, also hope he's kept in some head-scout capacity. As for the coaches, I'll trust JB(& owners) whether they want a change, or not. GCG!

***********************************side note***********************************

Is it my imagination, or has M Tkachuk reeled in his imbecile-orangutan antics? Don't watch the Flamerz much, but seems there's been less melodrama emanating from that abyss. Is it possible our Van vet-beauts read this guy the riot act(informing him how he's perceived by opponents)? It's a pleasing notion, that some perennial league-morons can be nudged/led into acting like reasonable human beings. Would serve the league well, if such possibilities exist.

Hated his ol' man..but his bro is absolutely quite the player. There's no denying this guy has talent & ability, if he got his head sorted out.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Need some defensive/size/physicality to compliment the puck movers we have in Rathbone/Hughes/Schmidt.

I'm going to give Schmidt a mulligan for this season. Whether it was adjusting to a new team/system, or the weird schedule, or whatever, he didn't look like the guy we saw in Vegas.

I think he's more himself next season and that's a big upgrade for the D, IMHO....

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Should have McNabbed the duo 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Should have McNabbed the duo 

I was hoping Tryamkin would hop over and replicate that pairing with Schmidt. Oh well though.

We will have to see who Seattle takes. If they take some cap maybe we can find a cheap physical defensive D.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to give Schmidt a mulligan for this season. Whether it was adjusting to a new team/system, or the weird schedule, or whatever, he didn't look like the guy we saw in Vegas.

I think he's more himself next season and that's a big upgrade for the D, IMHO....

I think a lot of that will be dependant on who he's playing with. Edler did take a step back this year and Schmidt has been with him most of the year.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Schmidt and Myers each have sat out for a game. Now it's Hughes and Edler's turn to sit out for one game each for the remaining two games.

I think both Rathbone and Myers will draw back in and Hughes/Edler and Chatfield will draw out.

If only Edler had scored on that shot last night....I think he gets the final two games, just because! This could be his career ending set of games, and I think Green respects him enough to see him attempt to get that number 100. I agree with your mindset, but I think more is at play here. He seems very similar to the Sedins, no fanfare, just try to fade off into the sunset.

Edited by johngould21
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think a lot of that will be dependant on who he's playing with. Edler did take a step back this year and Schmidt has been with him most of the year.

Maybe. I still think he can step up his game, no matter who his partner is.

Just now, runtzguy said:

Juolevi is not NHL ready. A season or 2 in AHL where he fixes his pivots will do wonders for him.

More so a solid off-season.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe. I still think he can step up his game, no matter who his partner is.

I doubt it. He has weaknesses that McNabb made up for in Vegas. He made up for a lot of McNabb's weaknesses too hence why that pairing worked out well.

We don't really have a defenseman that does that for him as it stands.

Just now, johngould21 said:

If only Edler hadn't scored on that shot last night....I think he gets the final two games, just because! This could be his career ending set of games, and I think Green respects him enough to see him attempt to get that number 100. I agree with your mindset, but I think more is at play here. He seems very similar to the Sedins, no fanfare, just try to fade off into the sunset.

We need to be up by a couple late....and have Sutter pull the goalie with 3 minutes left....

Then Edler goes out at forward with Bo and Miller....B)

I doubt it. He has weaknesses that McNabb made up for in Vegas. He made up for a lot of McNabb's weaknesses too hence why that pairing worked out well.

We don't really have a defenseman that does that for him as it stands.

I guess we'll see.....

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We need to be up by a couple late....and have Sutter pull the goalie with 3 minutes left....

Then Edler goes out at forward with Bo and Miller....B)

Eddie probably has sore arms from all the shot attempts last night. It seemed every time the puck was on his stick he was playing lock and load.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I guess we'll see.....

Time is the ultimate decider on these sort of things.

• Vintage 1

Time is the ultimate decider on these sort of things.

These are the times when I miss Harv and his "Tick Tock" posts....B)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

These are the times when I miss Harv and his "Tick Tock" posts....B)

Hope this helps.

165238690_ticktockwheel.gif.b96cca77d8ac4b0cdd6b38f495e054d7.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 18, 2021 | 1 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION