The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames | May 18, 2021 | 1 p.m. PT | SNP | PLAYOFF SERIES VS CALGARY EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

next year could be a really exiting one for the kids - Rathbone, OJ, Lockwood, Podkolzin could all be key pieces. 

They probably gonna have their ups and downs. Expecting them to be impact players right away like Boes/Petey/Hughes is too big of an ask. 

We’re probably in for another down year since these youth need to develop at the NHL level. I could potentially see us draft top 10 again. 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What a dumb statement.

Power brings the same elements as Hughes but he can play physical and defend in his own end. That’s a franchise defenseman.

I disagree with both of you. Neither Powers, Clarke or Hughes are franchise D men in my opinion. 
Quinn is an elite offensive talent on the back end. But he lacks the defensive capabilities of what is needed to munch minutes in the NHL. He is still sheltered and needs to progress to that next level defensively. Hopefully he can succeed. 
But he has a long ways to go yet. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And he will with experience. And if Hughes ain’t a franchise dman no one in this draft is. Bad hot take is bad. 

Of the last few drafts, I think only Makar has earned the franchise dman tag. Hughes has a ways to go defensively before he's earned that title. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Saying Hughes isn’t a franchise dman is a dumb statement. 

You are literally assuming a smart 21 year old kid can’t learn the only teachable part of the game. :picard:

Saying Hughes is a franchise d-man right now is a dumb statement. He isn't. Give the kid a chance to figure a few more things out and then, yeah pile on all the pressure you want and hopefully he'll live up to your expectations.  

regards,  G.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Positives this year

Demko - No more guessing. He is our franchise goaltending. Knowing that was the biggest thing for me this year.

Hoglander - I don’t care no one could have expected him to come on this year and have the year he did. Legit top 6 candidate for years to come

Rathbone - Super excited for this guy. Offence and Defence. Looks like he will be fine

Modest surprises

Highmore - looks like he can be an effective bottom 6 player

Joulevi - some struggles recently but looks like he could be an NHL defencemen.

Lookwood - Didn’t see the game but liked the commments about his game

Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson are just kids. All of them are going to be even better. I’d argue Horvat hasn’t hit his ceiling either.

Exactly! Feel the same way. Great points. And we have Podz next season. 

This season is an anomaly and outlier and should be looked at as such. Especially in contrast with the poditives you've listed here. The sky is not falling at all. We just need to get this season over and get back to normal. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can you show me a difference between 4 and 9 this year? I haven't seem much alignment at all in the different draft rankings. 

You and I may not have, but I guarantee Benning and crew do.  

Also, the difference is if you have a top 10 in your mind, but you pick at 9 and 8 of those guys are gone.  
As opposed to having your top 10 and only 3 of them are gone.  

11 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

Of course I had to test my theory so I ran the draft simulator about thirty times.  The were number #9 10 or 15 straight times.  Then they were #10.  Probably #9 25 times and #10 5 times.  Arrgh:angry:

Ok - update to my update.  I wasn't pressing Reset after I ran the simulator.  I pressed reset and the very first time - we win:

image.png.f170063f2178a80973ddec15b690d9f2.png

Edited by Cali Canuck
typos :-(

We lost the lottery already? 

We lost a percentage of chance to win........ so yes?   Lol.  

The wins right now mean nothing.    Zero.  
But there is a difference between 9% and 4%.  
The chances are still super slim.   And of course take away another 2% for being the Canucks, but yeah.  It matters 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Saying Hughes is a franchise d-man right now is a dumb statement. He isn't. Give the kid a chance to figure a few more things out and then, yeah pile on all the pressure you want and hopefully he'll live up to your expectations.  

regards,  G.

He is more of a franchise dmen than the kids in the draft he is crying over though. He is really only short on the defensive end which is teachable. He has elite NHL offensive skill and has years to put the defensive side together. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

can you show me a difference between 4 and 9 this year? I haven't seem much alignment at all in the different draft rankings. 

There’s a soft top 7 before a bit of a drop off IMO. Picking 9th/10th does give us a worst chance since 1-2 teams ahead of us will be able to pick which ever guy falls if they do.

I hope we win the lotto though. I don’t think we are gonna be able to draft any of the top D at 9th/10th. 

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

We lost a percentage of chance to win........ so yes?   Lol.  

The wins right now mean nothing.    Zero.  
But there is a difference between 9% and 4%.  
The chances are still super slim.   And of course take away another 2% for being the Canucks, but yeah.  It matters 

In other years I would agree this year the top 10 is a literal crapshoot. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He is more of a franchise dmen than the kids in the draft he is crying over though. He is really on short on the defensive end which is teachable. He has elite NHL offensive skill and has years to put the defensive side together. 

He's a franchise Dman. Next. ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1