The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks next season in Pacific Division

Rate this topic

Canucks_fo_life

There are some pretty big questions with the team to be resolved

1.  Coaching / management.  Doesn't look good for the present group.  In the past, ownership waits to have a replacement before announcing the change so if that's coming, it'll be later rather than sooner.  Ugh!

2.  Expansion draft.  It looks like Holtby will be the best player available exposed from the line up.  Question is, does Seattle take him?  If so, is DiPietro the backup next year?

3.  Players.  There are plenty who are in doubt whether they are back.  Edler, Virtanen, Beagle, Sutter......maybe more..... the good news is that there have been a lot of players auditioning for the bottom 6 and 6-8 D so there are reasonable players at good prices already in the system for these roles.  D could also do with an upgrade.  A lot of what they can do depends on Petey and Hughes' new contracts.

What the Canucks have over teams like Calgary is that the core is pretty solid.  The question is the supporting cast.  The addition to a couple of key pieces could make all the difference in terms of depth.  I think it is certainly possible that the Canucks can make the playoffs next year but certain things have to happen first

17 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Pacific Division standings 2021-2022 prediction

1. Vegas *

2. Edmonton *

3. Vancouver *

4. Seattle *

5. Calgary

6. Anaheim

7. Los Angeles

8. San Jose

and ppl are saying that North is weak.. omg look at this .. Canucks looks like powerhouse in pacific 

with Benning & Green:

1. Vegas 

2. Edmonton

3. Seattle 

4. Calgary

5. Vancouver

6. Los Angeles

7. San Jose

8. Anaheim

with New GM and Coach

1. Vegas

2. Edmonton

3. Seattle

4. Vancouver

5. Calgary

6. Los Angeles

7. San Jose

8. Anaheim

Always fun to prognosticate.

I see Vegas at the top spot - very good team feasting on a largely weak Pacific. Edmonton in second - the caveat being goaltending - they need a different tandem. I see Smith back but doubt he can replicate this season and Koskinen is a disaster. If they can get an NHL goalie that can play 25 - 35 games and play well - second is theirs. 

The rest gets tricky - Calgary/Vancouver/LA/Seattle duke it out for 3 to 6th. Calgary is going to make changes - what that does to their team will depend on if it is now or future type deals. I think Gaudreau is gone but what is the return? Picks and prospects and Calgary falls, roster players (and it works) Calgary bounces back. Seattle will depend on how successful the ED is - I don't think they make out like Vegas. LA - how big of a step does their youth take? And Vancouver, healthy Pettersson with a good start and some more change on D and in the "weaker" Pacific the Canucks could come in 3rd.

I still think Vancouver is more likely 4th or 5th - I just don't see enough change happening in time to save 21/22. Whoever is GM needs to just not do anything rash - ride out the remaining year on Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, Eriksson, don't re-sign Sutter, Edler and don't "pay" Seattle to take a particular player. Let 21/22 just be and worry more about 22/23 and on. The Canucks prospect pool needs another good draft this year and next and that is critical to any possibility of future contention. Giving up picks and prospects to get out from under bad contracts is not a good plan at this point. I can see similarities to Colorado but is the Canucks GM willing to trade someone like Miller for a great return? Colorado is a worse team without that reward from the Duchene trade... 

My guess as of today would be

Vegas

Edmonton

Calgary

LA

Vancouver

Seattle

SJ

Anaheim

3rd through 6th will be pretty close in points and likely where the guess will be wrong. 

18 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Who do they take then?
I think they pick Jake Allen for sure. Jake could turn out to be starter material, but he's unproven as anything more than a backup. They are still obligated to choose 2 more goalies. Because there are no top tier proven starters available, I think they use one of those picks for a prospect and spend a few years developing them. 
With their third pick, they take a goaltender who can split duties with Jake, or potentially take on the starter job if needed. Basically, the same reason we grabbed Holtby for Demko. 

I agree Holtby's numbers aren't good, but he's been playing behind an awful team, and who else is a proven starter?

Driedger, Raanta, Talbot, Ullmark, Rittich haven't been #1 goaltenders. 

I think Seattle just looks at how badly we hung both our goaltenders out to dry and blames Holts' numbers on the rest of our team (and they'd be right to).

Holtby number been terrible thr past couple season including Washington. While the other goalies are fine so u can't say it's because the team hung him out. I mean hell they can take fleury or rehner and it's prolly better return than holtby if they want to be competitive 

50 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Holtby number been terrible thr past couple season including Washington. While the other goalies are fine so u can't say it's because the team hung him out. I mean hell they can take fleury or rehner and it's prolly better return than holtby if they want to be competitive 

Can't - Fleury and Lehner are protected b/c Vegas is exempt from having to expose anyone in this draft. 

Who else haha?!

52 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Can't - Fleury and Lehner are protected b/c Vegas is exempt from having to expose anyone in this draft. 

Who else haha?!

at that point i would just take allen and 2 backup goalies.. kudobin talbot brossoit etc basically all teams backup goalies are good candidate for them to pickup behind allen if they decide allen is better than holtby which stat wise say he is

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

at that point i would just take allen and 2 backup goalies.. kudobin talbot brossoit etc basically all teams backup goalies are good candidate for them to pickup behind allen if they decide allen is better than holtby which stat wise say he is

Fair enough. I do think Seattle could be incentivized to take Holtby. I think the marginal benefit of picking another backup over him is negligible, so if we sweetened the deal a bit, we could make it happen.