The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brilliant Book/Movie Adaptations

Nuxfanabroad

A short, sweet intro here, hopefully encouraging some enthusiasts to contribute worthy inclusions.

Q1.. What books have you enjoyed, where you've later discovered the film/ TV series(?) to be as memorable, or perhaps even better?

Can you give us a side-note, or any additional info?

Q2 ..Any examples where you've watched the flick, prior to the book? Any cases where that seems the best route?

Lastly..Q3: Is it just moi, or is today's hectic 24/7 digital-mayhem, incompatible with lazing on the sofa, with a lengthy, compelling read? Gotta admit, haven't been enjoying deep novels as I once did.

Anywho.. some titles to start:

- The Godfather(I guess Puzo wrote the book, screenplay, etc...) So of course the adaptation is flawless.

- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest. The flick has a twist from the book, which was presented from Chief Bromden's pov(both so damn good)

- Day of The Jackal . Talk about Forsythe's masterpiece. James Bond has Nothing on this character(Edward Fox). You'll never cheer so hard for an assassin again.

- Shogun If one has 9 hrs, the classic miniseries is fully on Youtube. No scene ever, is as flippin' erotic as Yoko Shimada droppin' her silk to share an onsen with Richard Chamberlain. HOLY Jumpin'!

- LOTR  There shouldn't be a fantasy section in libraries/shops. It oughta' be Tolkien's corner. Jackson's work was epic

- Gone With The Wind. Lengthy, but so worthwhile. Clark & Vivian showing how it's done.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Like 1

First I saw the movie Blade Runner, which i absolutely loved, then a couple of months ago I also read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" which I just adored perhaps even more. But the two are quite different, so they complement each other very well.

Another adaptation I remember was the Less Than Zero movie... First I read the book, then watched the movie. Loved the book, didn't like the movie at all.

Oh yes, Harry Potter, i enjoyed both.

• Thanks 1

No Country for old men

LA Confidential 1997 . Great Movie, A few years back I watched nearly every english speaking movie from 1990 -2016 on the top 250 IMDB. barely started the book, I have a hard time reading these days, I usually just fall asleep.

I really loved Michael Crichton books, but Sphere was a let down. the books are not really relevant anymore, either. as is the case with many sci-fi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not so much a book per se, but the Sam Sheperd story becoming The Fugitive series and movie might be one of the best ones. The old series is great.

https://www.grunge.com/85735/insane-true-story-inspired-the-fugitive/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not so much a book per se, but the Sam Sheperd story becoming The Fugitive series and movie might be one of the best ones. The old series is great.

https://www.grunge.com/85735/insane-true-story-inspired-the-fugitive/

I think the David Letterman adaptation was the best yet:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW, for Star Wars fans, Kylo Ren is loosely based on Han and Leia's son Jacen in the "Legacy of the Force" book series. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/SWF/star-wars-legacy-of-the-force---legends

Jacen turns to the dark side and becomes Darth Caedus. He is eventually killed by his twin sister Jaina....

Sounds like that would have made a far better group of sequels than we got. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

No Country for old men

LA Confidential 1997 . Great Movie, A few years back I watched nearly every english speaking movie from 1990 -2016 on the top 250 IMDB. barely started the book, I have a hard time reading these days, I usually just fall asleep.

I really loved Michael Crichton books, but Sphere was a let down. the books are not really relevant anymore, either. as is the case with many sci-fi

The original movie version of the Andromeda Strain was excellent. Crichton books to movies seem to be kinda out of the park, or strikeouts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW, for Star Wars fans, Kylo Ren is loosely based on Han and Leia's son Jacen in the "Legacy of the Force" book series. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/SWF/star-wars-legacy-of-the-force---legends

Jacen turns to the dark side and becomes Darth Caedus. He is eventually killed by his twin sister Jaina....

But then Kathleen Kennedy came along and it didn't fit with her woke agenda of intersectional feminism so that all got axed.  The Thrawn trilogy would have made amazing movies instead of the rehashed Death Star and complete buggering of accepted Star Wars mythology. 

'Hey I just was given this light sabre by some fish woman but watch me hold my own vs a trained dark side user when Sith/Dark Side users have always been better light sabre duelists other than very select few Jedi....because you know...it's a female character. Also...I am a Palpatine but I am going to start calling myself Skywalker for some &^@#ing reason...'