The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brilliant Book/Movie Adaptations

Nuxfanabroad

6 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

But then Kathleen Kennedy came along and it didn't fit with her woke agenda of intersectional feminism so that all got axed.  The Thrawn trilogy would have made amazing movies instead of the rehashed Death Star and complete buggering of accepted Star Wars mythology. 

'Hey I just was given this light sabre by some fish woman but watch me hold my own vs a trained dark side user when Sith/Dark Side users have always been better light sabre duelists other than very select few Jedi....because you know...it's a female character. Also...I am a Palpatine but I am going to start calling myself Skywalker for some &^@#ing reason...'

I think Cumberbatch would have made a great Thrawn....

I don't see what was wrong with the original Darth Caedus idea, though.....Jaina was an excellent female character, IMO....much like Leia....

They also could have introduced Mara Jade....

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think Cumberbatch would have made a great Thrawn....

I don't see what was wrong with the original Darth Caedus idea, though.....Jaina was an excellent female character, IMO....much like Leia....

They also could have introduced Mara Jade....

Mara Jade is my and many other fans favorite character. She has an amazing story arc. I agree 100% on Cumberbatch as Thrawn.  

Oh well. Hopefully the rumours she's been sidelined until her contract is up are true along with Carano getting rehired....you know their most popular character since the Disney buyout...well other than Baby Yoda. 

Did you hear of the recently released 'lost' Timothy Zahn book that someone pretty much privately had printed up and put on Amazon with no press or fanfare?  It hit the top 25 best sellers on there and crushed that Woke High Republic garbage Kennedy is behind. That is until Disney had i  pulled :)

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Clockwork Orange and Goodfellas need to be included for sure.

might as well list a few more Kubrick movies that were based on novels: The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut. God, i love all these movies, especially FMJ and EWS.

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy.

Movie starred Nick Nolte

Great call here. Actually liked the movie more than Conroy's novel - but they were both superb. Usage of painful flashbacks was so powerful.

& George Carlin makes an epic appearance!

• Upvote 1

How about books that were really good, but their movie adaptations were horrid?

Hawaii was such an epic novel, and disappointing motion picture.  

The Hunger Games was a book I thought I would not enjoy, but it was great!  The movie was so very disappointing.  It’s interesting how the central character, if not cast well, ruins a screen play.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Hunger Games was a book I thought I would not enjoy, but it was great!  The movie was so very disappointing.  It’s interesting how the central character, if not cast well, ruins a screen play.  

That would be a big thread.

The last one that was a massive let down for me was 'Ready Player One'

The book is very good and has a real 80's influence that's on point. The movie was a steaming pile off cgi. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Best example for me would be Dune.....

....almost criminally bad movie....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There was an absolutely fascinating work of fiction, which won the writer various awards in the 1960's. Didn't like the movie as much, but in the late 60's, the main role captured the Best Actor, Oscar.

I believe ALL schoolkids should have this masterpiece on their educational-curriculum.

Q.. Anyone know the title?

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

There was an absolutely fascinating work of fiction, which won the writer various awards in the 1960's. Didn't like the movie as much, but in the late 60's, the main role captured the Best Actor, Oscar.

I believe ALL schoolkids should have this masterpiece on their educational-curriculum.

Q.. Anyone know the title?

The 60’s was a decade known for best actor oscars winning for their roles portraying great fictional characters.  Could be several.

7 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Has anyone read The Handmaid's Tale? The series is quite good but I haven't read the book to comment on that aspect. 

Yes, about 10 yrs back I nabbed it at the Osaka library. It was very good. Also read "Oryx & Crake" by Atwood. Memorable stuff, & worth a read.

Read an essay of her's, she explained spending some days wearing a burqua(somewhere in ME). She heavily drew from this experience to write Handmaid. Also mentions how she was strongly influenced by Orwell. It's unmistakable in her classic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1