The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twins Coming Back?

Rate this topic

HKSR

This all seems like flimsy optics to appease fans and try to avoid making substantive changes.

They need to fire Benning and put in a legitimate, experienced President and GM in place to start straightening things out.  As much as Gillis had flaws, we were considered to be a well run organization then and now we are considered dysfunctional.

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 2

Definitely like the idea of the twins more than Courtnall, especially the timing, in light of the Virtanen sexual assault accusation. Just bad optics to bring someone with Courtnall’s history into the organization. The Sedins, however, are nothing but class, and have squeaky clean reputations (I just hope they avoid the kind of tarnishing that Linden took).

I mean, short term, it seems like mostly a PR play, but longterm, if the twins are going to pursue a future in NHL hockey operations, there’s never a bad time to start building up their experience and qualifications, to hopefully take on larger roles and weightier positions down the road.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I hope not.....and I’ll be upset if this is the case.

Canucks don’t need cheap PR stunts.   They need to shell out money for proven winners with proven success.

Dean Lombardi + Gerard Gallant or Claude Julien.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

They are already paying Jim "ran out of time" Benning to not work.

And given his history with cap mismanagement, its probably cheaper overall for Aquilini to take the keys away and pay him to stay home than it will be if his penchant for overpaying sub par vets wrecks this core's chance to be competitive.

Move him to scouting since its pretty much all he really wants to do anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Canucks don’t need cheap PR stunts.   They need to shell out money for proven winners with proven success.

This. A million times this.

If we go the route of an old boys club with no experience this time around just to placate the fans, it'll go a long ways towards convincing me that ownership may be the problem here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure what role they would have but they dont really have the experience - or the temperament - to be GM, President, etc. Nor should their legacy get tarnished by this $&!# show.

Let them be revered franchise icons, not lightning rods to deflect criticism ftom Aquilini. 

Feel the same way when people start to want coaches to be Burrows of Bieksa. I don’t want to see fans turn on Canucks Legends 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Feel the same way when people start to want coaches to be Burrows of Bieksa. I don’t want to see fans turn on Canucks Legends 

I understand why fans want this. But I agree totally. 

Best, experienced people are the glaring need in Van whether its management or coaching.

Would Burrows be a good assistant coach? Sure, just like Malhotra is. Bieksa has no experience coaching though. And his style and sort of arrogance, while endearing to fans as a player, would wear very thin in short order as a coach. Media is his wheelhouse imo. He is really suited for his current job.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

You understand that it's not for GM etc and technically they can do this, plus make other changes. Man...this fan base and media and it's jumping off a damn cliff about everything. Relax! 

• Cheers 1

I'm all for having the Sedins in management if they're the right people for the job.

If its only a desperate attempt by the Aquillinis to re-gain the trust of the fanbase, I don't want to see the Sedins hung out to dry like Linden if things don't go how Aqua expects.

We don't need former Canucks to look good on season ticket drive ads. We need a management team with a vision to bring us a Cup.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'd love to see them working in player development.  Who better than the Sedins to teach the kids in Abbotsford how to be pros, especially a guy like Podkolzin who will be going through quite a culture shock?  They're both too nice to be effective in management.

Edited by King Heffy