The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I’m saying we can’t give full credit to Jim for that pick. 

who was giving him full credit?  I give him full credit for fostering a safe, collaborative space for management and scouts to share their thoughts and views on possible picks.  It's pretty clear that JB runs a pretty inclusive ship where everyone's opinion counts.  Ultimately the final say is his, but he obviously listens to his colleagues

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

While i agree to that to some point, i think this team is way bettter on paper then what they showed, easily the worst schedule in the league, we are going back to a weaker divison so i see lots to look foward too next year

So, you think we're better because the rest of the division might suck?

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well to go further into detail Hammerstrom was one of the guys to scout him early on and Delorme was the one that pushed Benning to take a look at him.

Ultimately Benning ended up scouting him and liking what he saw obviously.

There isn’t a single pick that isn’t a collaborative effort between scouts and management.

True and generally the gm has the final say on the first round pick. Then it becomes a free for all

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

Petterson was delormes and inge hammarstroms pick. Stop making an alternative history so you can push your agenda. I have problems with benning too, but stop lying and actually make a strong argument about it

You are correct, I was wrong. I’ll admit to that. The point I was trying to reach is Benning gets all the praise but it’s the scouting that needs 80% of the credit. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Hell, most of CDC thought that taking EP was grounds for immediate termination.  Some people need to revisit that draft thread and thank Benning for having the balls to make an unpopular pick that was the correct one.

No way really? (Wasnt around)

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

So, you think we're better because the rest of the division might suck?

I think they'll be better because it will be a normal season (relatively) and not a ridiculous sideshow.  They were progressing on track thorugh the bubble playoffs and that's where I expect them to pick up next season.........nothing leads me to think otherwise

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

You are correct, I was wrong. I’ll admit to that. The point I was trying to reach is Benning gets all the praise but it’s the scouting that needs 80% of the credit. 

Let's not get into Delorme's picks over the years  :sadno:

Just now, Zhukini said:

I wonder what the bar is at next year? A playoff appearance  and Jim’s safe?

Pretty low bar but probably realistic given RA should be sold out if it gets there

I'd say as long as they show consistent steady improvement through the year........they are still a young team and will be fragile.  If Demko plays well, I think they find a playoff spot.

• Vintage 3

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hell, most of CDC thought that taking EP was grounds for immediate termination.  Some people need to revisit that draft thread and thank Benning for having the balls to make an unpopular pick that was the correct one.

I remember that clear as day. People were livid 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yep; people were really angry that Benning didn't take Vilardi or Glass

I wanted Glass and I'd still be ok with the pick if it were CG.  That said, I'm thrilled with Petey

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

I’m saying we can’t give full credit to Jim for that pick. 

Benning sets the direction for the scouts. It's a team effort on everything, but what they are looking for in players, is established by Benning and in case you missed it, he generally travels to see all of their primary targets play, first hand.

Solid drafting has followed him through every stop he has made in the NHL, from Buffalo through to Boston and here.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they'll be better because it will be a normal season (relatively) and not a ridiculous sideshow.  They were progressing on track thorugh the bubble playoffs and that's where I expect them to pick up next season.........nothing leads me to think otherwise

Yes, a more normal season would help simply because there won't be 4 game series against teams out of the gate that have had more practices and opportunity to scout and exploit weaknesses while we didn't have time to get our legs under us. 

The lack of practices in the early going really affected our special teams i thought (which regressed obviously).

I do think we'd have made the PO's if not for covid and losing Petey for so long.

Edited by Jayinblack

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I wonder what the bar is at next year? A playoff appearance  and Jim’s safe?

Pretty low bar but probably realistic given RA should be sold out if it gets there

It has to be the playoffs next year. 

FA badly needs the gate revenue.  A shortened season of no home games and possibly reduced sales in merchandise has got to hurt the bottom line.

• Vintage 1