The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

Just now, stawns said:

I wanted Glass and I'd still be ok with the pick if it were CG.  That said, I'm thrilled with Petey

I would have been fine with Glass or Mittlestadt, but I loved that pick immediately; it was proof that Benning is smarter than CDC (myself included).

• Hydration 3

11 minutes ago, Isam said:

Petterson was delormes and inge hammarstroms pick. Stop making an alternative history so you can push your agenda. I have problems with benning too, but stop lying and actually make a strong argument about it

Yes - Benning publicly downplayed credit to himself - and credited Delorme for being early and insistent about Pettersson. 

Delorme had been very maligned in this market - but Benning retained him, even if not with as much authority as previously.  That seemed to have paid off - and I respect that he was forthright about not being the one to deserve credit for that pick - although in the end it's his head that rolls, so he is responsible for the end result.

• Hydration 3

1 minute ago, BPA said:

It has to be the playoffs next year. 

FA badly needs the gate revenue.  A shortened season of no home games and possibly reduced sales in merchandise has got to hurt the bottom line.

So if Jim trades Rathbone for someone like Toffoli again and we get kicked out in 6 in round 1 is that a success?

Just curious because Jim will be looking out for Jim.

• RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Yes - Benning publicly downplayed credit to himself - and credited Delorme for being early and insistent about Pettersson. 

Delorme had been very maligned in this market - but Benning retained him, even if not with as much authority as previously.  That seemed to have paid off - and I respect that he was forthright about not being the one to deserve credit for that pick - although in the end it's his head that rolls, so he is responsible for the end result.

But I thought he was terrible to work for and stifling talented people!

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say as long as they show consistent steady improvement through the year........they are still a young team and will be fragile.  If Demko plays well, I think they find a playoff spot.

Yes. I agree.  And really this is the take that all Canuck fans should come around to.

Why swim in the muck at the bottom of the pool with all the negativity any longer.

Every reason to think that adding Petey and Podz next year will help.  Further development from Demko Rathbone Juolevi and Hogz will help. Possible adds of lockwood or Gadz or even a signing will help. 

Being back in the Pacific will help.

We can beat Cgy and the 3 Cali teams. Edm is ok, Vegas is good and the Ass-kraken are an unknown.

Every chance we make the playoffs next year.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I would have been fine with Glass or Mittlestadt, but I loved that pick immediately; it was proof that Benning is smarter than CDC (myself included).

Be interesting to see the Canucks census when we know where we are picking and what player JB picks. With this draft I see another situation like that one

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Then we have “fans” that give him hell for going to scout the u18 tournament 

Yup, I know...not like it's his job or anything, to get first hand visual on who he is thinking of drafting.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Zhukini said:

So if Jim trades Rathbone for someone like Toffoli again and we get kicked out in 6 in round 1 is that a success?

your Leaf is showing.

That's not what happened.

Understandable - those repetitive first round Fleas exits must form an imprint.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

rathbone is a far better prospect than madden. if benning traded jett woo for deadline help in the name of trying for a deep playoff run, I wouldn't think twice about it. 

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Rathbone isn't comparable to Madden, who is struggling in the AHL and is a long shot to ever be an NHL regular at his size.

• Hydration 2

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Have you looked at Maddens success in the AHL this year? 

Jim isn’t trading Rathbone 

• Hydration 3

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The only problem with delorme was his lack of ability to create an accurate draftboard. His scouting is actually good

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Be interesting to see the Canucks census when we know where we are picking and what player JB picks. With this draft I see another situation like that one

Agreed; it would be an interesting poll.  I promise I won't complain about the pick no matter what, even if I don't agree with it.

• Hydration 1

Well... I was ready for change (Benning) but doesn't mean that was the right thing to do.  More importantly, I'd really like to see N.B. and Baumgartner gone.  Green I'm okay either way.  Most importantly, Ian Clarke has to stay!!!!

• Hydration 2

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Petterson a Canucks because of Trevor and Judd, its wild;y reported Jim wanted Glass

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 3

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Now, this endorsement by ownership, gives Benning a mandate to resign Green and Clark. I believe this was the hold up on getting their contracts negotiated and in place.

Hopefully - I'd love to see them both back - but I'd understand if Clark in particular is interested in a new challenge (his role is more limited/specific).

I imagine Green would like to finish what he's started here and continue to work with this group - but you never know. If he's not back, I'd suspect it's a management decision, but I personally don't think management should be looking to replace him - I think he's done an excellent job under the circumstances.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed; it would be an interesting poll.  I promise I won't complain about the pick no matter what, even if I don't agree with it.

Same. I too was confused when we picked Pettersson. I know better now 

• Hydration 1