The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Harold Ballard asking Neilson to wear a paper bag is still worse.

he's probably still to blame for some of the Fleas woes that have persisted to the present.

what an asshat he was.

he shut off the water at the CNE, on the hottest day of the summer, to force attendees to buy soda, etc in the sweltering heat. 

such a prick.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, combover said:

Every other gm in the league 

YES. 

all pending bottom three ufas 

F -yeah it’s payday

old slow veterans 

oh good I will get resigned 

draft lottery 

it’s getting hard to not make it look rigged. 

Such positive faith in humanity...

Must be unbearable.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

I mean our biggest needs off the top of my are a top 4 Dman and a 3rd line center thats very managble with what he as to work with, 

EP,QH 4  forwards, at Least 1 Defenceman and about 6 depth forwards/defenceman (3 of the 6 will be buried) 19.3 million or 24.8m with buying out virtanen   and Beagle on LTIR.

we may be able to sign a 3M center and a 4M D-man and the rest will  have to average around a mill.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am sincerely sorry to offend. I certainly dont mean it in any kind of negative way. I should try not to use it as much in writing I guess. 

No Worries Bud. Just kidding. I don’t mean to be that guy that takes offence to everything. For whatever reason I just turn off on the conversation when someone calls me bud. All good.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BlastPast said:

He was doing a standard pre-game conference call and he stated clearly at the beginning that he wasn't going to comment on Jake's situation. Some media members - being fairly dumb - continued to immediately ask questions of that nature. He wasn't trotted out there to speak on behalf of the team on this issue and he made that clear to anyone who isn't stupid. The team released a statement and that was all that was necessary at the time.

Fair enough, that’s exactly how I feel. Unfortunately the media and noisy fans don’t agree. Not that we should have a President just for this reason though. Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver are the only teams that I could find where the position was listed as vacant. In addition I would say that communication is not one of JB’s strongest points.

3 hours ago, Squamfan said:

we want the team to be good, Benning is not a good GM,

I doubt that very much. If that were true then you would have nothing to be constantly negative about. All your negativity about everything Canuck gets very tiring to those of us that just appreciate that we actually have an owner that stepped up and bought the team and is an avid fan of the Canucks. 

You must be the life of a party with all the negativity you constantly spout out..

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

No Worries Bud. Just kidding. I don’t mean to be that guy that takes offence to everything. For whatever reason I just turn off on the conversation when someone calls me bud. All good.

See, I will remember that in the future when replying to you.

Its impossible to know when you are writing things how other people take it. But once you know, respect is free.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

EP,QH 4  forwards, at Least 1 Defenceman and about 6 depth forwards/defenceman (3 of the 6 will be buried) 19.3 million or 24.8m with buying out virtanen   and Beagle on LTIR.

we may be able to sign a 3M center and a 4M D-man and the rest will  have to average around a mill.

I mean in all honesty a 3rd line Center shouldnt be over 3m so i think we are fine 

3 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Good, he has built a fantastic core just need some good suporting players more so in the bottom 6 and this team will be a conteder for ages to come

I dont see Benning as the guy who can put the finishing touches. He isnt great in identifying NHL talent, but is great in drafting. We can win a cup but under a different GM not the one who lets a 28 goal scorer walk for $4 mil/year.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Shekky said:

Yeah glad he is being given the opportunity to see his plan through he needs to not be afraid to give up a draft pick to dump some bad salary though.

I rather keep the picks at this point rather than give up picks for 1 year of bad contract. That should have been done last year to keep Toffoli and maybe Tanev. Too late now.

• Like 1

To quote Jared McCann..it is what it is. I’ve been wishy washy with Jim over the years and have praised his drafting but loathed his UFA signings and overall asset management. Next year, if the Canucks stumble and miss the playoffs in what’s lining up to be a dogsh*t Pacific Division then lord help him. Until then, I’m looking forwards to seeing Podkolzin, further growth from Petey, Hughes, and Hoglander. On the flip

side, I cant help but wonder how the f**k the Canucks could ever keep pace with any single one of these playoff teams given what I’ve seen thus far in these playoff games. It’s been fantastic, fast, hard, physical hockey with is everything the Canucks aren’t. Here’s to hoping. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I doubt that very much. If that were true then you would have nothing to be constantly negative about. All your negativity about everything Canuck gets very tiring to those of us that just appreciate that we actually have an owner that stepped up and bought the team and is an avid fan of the Canucks. 

You must be the life of a party with all the negativity you constantly spout out..

The owner only cares about his money, if cared about the team he would have paid up and brought talented executives.

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I dont see Benning as the guy who can put the finishing touches. He isnt great in identifying NHL talent, but is great in drafting. We can win a cup but under a different GM not the one who lets a 28 goal scorer walk for $4 mil/year.

I wouldn't say he is bad at nhl talent as of late Miller has been really good for us, Schimdt has been crimanlly underrated here, hamonic ect