The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

So, I'm an employee at a business. Been there for several years. I've done my best, but I made a few mistakes along the way as most people do when they are learning a new role. Overall, most can see the value in my work. I've done some really good things!

Vocal people complain to my boss that I'm not doing a good job. In fact, some people are complaining that most of my coworkers suck too, and I hear my boss may may have them on the chopping block as well. One guy is clearly amazing at his job, but even he may get the axe despite being universally loved by all.

Eventually, my boss starts to look elsewhere for our replacements. It seems almost inevitable I'm going to be fired, along with my coworkers. But in the end, he decides to give me one last chance to be the "perfect employee". I'm still unsure about my coworkers, who may or may not be around in a few months.

Now - I ask you all - is this a working environment you would be comfortable working in? 

If ownership were considering canning Benning, they should have just done it. This wishy washy crap is making this org look like fools with a foundation made of sponge.

Edited by kloubek

7 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

The amount of people on here that support abysmal ownership and management is appalling. The Canucks are the laughing stock of the NHL and everyone seems to be okay with it. It’s laughable. See you all at the draft. 

I hope not we have enough drama queens that over react for picks. Oh my.... Pettersson is terrible. Benning sucks, why did he pick him, I wanted.... Pettersson is amazing, so happy Gradin picked him...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

If we didn’t have Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, LE and ole long Neck we be at the very least where we are today as far as organizational prospect depth. We would be on par at the very least but most likely even deeper. AND we would have infinite cap space last year and this year. Imagine having this core with $20M in cap space. We missed a once in a lifetime bargain period because of how irresponsible Jim’s cap management was. Winning environment..... lol I don’t want to hear another word about a winning environment. This isn’t a winning environment guys. There is absolutely no proof that this outrages use of salary cap on the players mentioned above had any tangible influence on player development. Has anyone here ever played hockey? Think back to your development. Did you learn from a guy you were trying to displace from the roster or the coach telling you and showing you what you did wrong. Will a couple bargain bin vets help your young guys adjust to the league? Absolutely, do you need to spend like $30M on that? I don’t think so. 

when I hear excuses like poor Jim, Luongo, poor Jim Flat cap. I just shake my head. How bout poor young emerging core that’s surrounded by hot garbage clogging roster spots for emerging prospects. 

Well I think a winning environment is something to strive for.

Otherwise look at BUF and CBJ.  Those teams are a train wreck.  You could also probably include EDM if they weren't so lucky getting McDavid and Draisaitl.

14 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I hope not we have enough drama queens that over react for picks. Oh my.... Pettersson is terrible. Benning sucks, why did he pick him, I wanted.... Pettersson is amazing, so happy Gradin picked him...

When did I say anything about Pettersson... 

3 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

When did I say anything about Pettersson... 

A generalization of a typical response from you. I would also not be surprised if I went back through the chat and your name came up with some of the above brilliance.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

A factious story generated by you to serve your narrative

Nope 

he was called to say he isn’t fired you don’t get that call if your doing a good job.

do you honestly believe he would be resigned if his contract was up? 
Right so it money owed keeping him here that’s it. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

This off season is going to be huge.  Glad we have some clarity.  Would really like to hear some certainty wrt coaching very soon.

I think this leak is all about P/R which is something that this regime seems to ignore.  Benning was never going anywhere.

I'm sure that Benning has a plan to get himself out of the cap corner that he's painted himself into and that Ownership is happy with it.  Regardless, if Benning were let go, another GM would be faced with the same task.

I wonder if this season had gone better, whether this campaign to fire Benning would be happening.  Serious injuries, covid etc were things that seriously affected the outcome and were beyond anybody's control. 

Last off season was not a good one.  I'm just hoping that Benning isn't attempting another home run.  I'd be much happier with 4 base hits.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Convincing John said:

If we didn’t have Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, LE and ole long Neck we be at the very least where we are today as far as organizational prospect depth. We would be on par at the very least but most likely even deeper. AND we would have infinite cap space last year and this year. Imagine having this core with $20M in cap space. We missed a once in a lifetime bargain period because of how irresponsible Jim’s cap management was. Winning environment..... lol I don’t want to hear another word about a winning environment. This isn’t a winning environment guys. There is absolutely no proof that this outrages use of salary cap on the players mentioned above had any tangible influence on player development. Has anyone here ever played hockey? Think back to your development. Did you learn from a guy you were trying to displace from the roster or the coach telling you and showing you what you did wrong. Will a couple bargain bin vets help your young guys adjust to the league? Absolutely, do you need to spend like $30M on that? I don’t think so. 

when I hear excuses like poor Jim, Luongo, poor Jim Flat cap. I just shake my head. How bout poor young emerging core that’s surrounded by hot garbage clogging roster spots for emerging prospects. 

Agreed. Past his draft record JB is below average at best. I wonder how much BS Vancouver fans can actually buy, apparently a lot. 2 trips to the playoffs in 7 years and they're saying another two years until relevance is achieved? JB has put this club in a tight money spot along with joke status in the league. Fans seem to have low expectations. Fire Jim's a$$ now, yesterday!

Edited by aqua59
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Nope 

he was called to say he isn’t fired you don’t get that call if your doing a good job.

Because the media and fans who feel it is needed to fly a banner or stalking him have brought into question his job. The job could have been a confirmation of FA continued faith in him.

Fans like you then run in the direction of hate and vomit that is their narrative so that they can roll in it and spread it around.

Fake news

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, combover said:

Nope 

It could be a bit of both. 

With all the media surrounding JB if he's going to be fired and fans wanting his head (the flying banner).  It would make sense for FA to reassure JB that he's still here and dissuade any fears so he can focus on his job.  Wouldn't any good boss/owner do that?

I also believe FA doesn't want to spend extra $$ where he doesn't have to.  No business person wants to see money spent uselessly. 

Edited by BPA
Grammar

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Because the media and fans who feel it is needed to fly a banner or stalking him have brought into question his job. The job could have been a confirmation of FA continued faith in him.

Fans like you then run in the direction of hate and vomit that is their narrative so that they can roll in it and spread it around.

Fake news

The fact you use “ fake news” is all I need to see to know what I’m talking to. 

he wouldn’t have been resigned and you know it 

his contract saved him pretty simple. 

Owners wouldn’t be talking to popular PR figures to repair the damage done by Jb.

hes a league wide joke and the Canucks are the punchline. 

• RoughGame 1

14 hours ago, tas said:

I wouldn't mind seeing, in combination with this, weisbrod dumped, RJ promoted, sedins hired.

benning gm, chris gear agm on the money side, ryan johnson agm on the personnel side, sedins as VPs of hockey ops handling the big picture and fan interfacing side of things. 

I like your hiring suggestions.

I dont know what Weisbrod has done or has not done to have input on a person losing his livelihood lol

Also is this a 1 year deal?

If I was Aquaman, that is fair.  Consider this year a writeoff, prospects are one more year developed, Podz comes over for next season, Petterson is healthy, new guys liek Schmidt and Hamonic have had a year on the team.

There is no reason why the Canucks should miss the playoffs next year.

I would give Benning next season to see the fruits of his labor. 

If next year is a disaster as well, then yes, definitely look for a seasoned GM to take over.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

The fact you use “ fake news” is all I need to see to know what I’m talking to. 

he wouldn’t have been resigned and you know it 

his contract saved him pretty simple. 

Owners wouldn’t be talking to popular PR figures to repair the damage done by Jb.

hes a league wide joke and the Canucks are the punchline. 

I guess you know this because you've been to every City in the NHL, and spoken to their fans? During a pandemic no less. Oh, let me guess, you read it on the internet?

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Wonder how much more damage he can cause with another year at the reigns.

petty and hughes shouldn't  be over 6mil on bridge deals. 

setting up your next complaint I see. Did you use any comparable for that number or did it come from a dark space? 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1