The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

This is exactly what i was hoping for.   JB deserves a keep working with the team he's created.   Aside from maybe Quin, this is the first team that's almost completely one GMs work now - Horvat and Edler being the only two players left from MG and Nonis era.   I'm glad he's given the chance to continue for now.   Still think the team needs a president and oversight...baby steps i guess.   And also am fine if next season is as grim as this one was and nothing is done to stop it, he goes.    Fine with the same coaching staff getting the chance too.  TBD still.  

In case you havent noticed, having the whole team built by Benning has led to bottom of the league finishes while being a cap maxed team.

Its a results based business. The results have not been there. If I was Aquilini I would demote Benning to amateur scouting and get someone in who understands the damage being done to the brand. Seattle is coming in at the worst time for the Canucks. They may pull a lot of fans from this market if this $&!# show continues.

People may say "good riddance then!" but thats not how the Aquilinis should be looking at it. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Benning is dust.

Sorry 7 years of being a GM and what to show for it?  

the best prospect pool and young talent we've ever had. 

2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

A playoff appearance when a COVID cut season was a big reason we even made the playoffs.

I've seen this a lot. But it doesn't explain how the team stepped up again Minni, who were supposed to sweep us. Or get by St Louis. Or push Vegas to 7.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
3 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Benning is dust.

Sorry 7 years of being a GM and what to show for it?  A playoff appearance when a COVID cut season was a big reason we even made the playoffs.

You are about to get cancelled on here. Can’t speak poorly of our lord and saviour Jim Benning. 

• RoughGame 1
1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He needs an assistant general manager who is a magician with the cap and free agent signings. Whats Gillis doing these days :ph34r:

I like how the contracts have been better since Chris Gear got the promotion. I doubt thats an accident. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I've seen this a lot. But it doesn't explain how the team stepped up again Minni, who were supposed to sweep us. Or get by St Louis. Or push Vegas to 7.

So doesn’t that make Jim a good scout ? Not a good GM? I’d be fine if Jim stayed on as a scout. Just not as a GM. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We'll see how it all pans out.  Hopefully Petey of Hughes don't get offer sheeted.

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

You are about to get cancelled on here. Can’t speak poorly of our lord and saviour Jim Benning. 

Bring on the storm

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Two misses in the top 5, prospect pool is not that great.

• Haha 2

I would just like to say, Drance is an absolute trash reporter. Dumbest questions I've ever heard, just trying to get a reaction. Zero integrity just stirring the pot.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The biggest talking point is that the Canucks historically had an abnormally poor drafting and scouting department from Gillis and before. So stands to reason then that this is not a very high bar to meet. When we compare the strength of our prospect pool with teams in rebuilds and coming out of rebuilds it is about average, and even after the graduation of Petey and Hughes we still have holes in the roster in the 3C and D position, aside for Podz, Dipietro and Rathbone, not a whole lot of blue chip prospects in the pool. 

Edited by DSVII
  • RoughGame 1
1 hour ago, BPA said:

Well I think a winning environment is something to strive for.

Otherwise look at BUF and CBJ.  Those teams are a train wreck.  You could also probably include EDM if they weren't so lucky getting McDavid and Draisaitl.

Stop using bad managers to support your narrative. 

• RoughGame 1
2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

And why is that?

All he said is that he has reason to believe players are not happy.  All season, players have been taking shots at the management.  J.T Miller basically pleaded to get games rescheduled after the COVID outbreak.  Hughes went on record multiple times to discuss how the team was missing Tanev.  When was that last time we heard anything on Elias Pettersson or from Elias Pettersson?  A day-to-day injury that's now become months with no end in sight.  Something has obviously gone wrong there.

No, this report is not "100%" factual (yet) but we have no reason to doubt his info.

What does Miller’s view on how the league dealt with our Covid outbreak have to do with him being displeased with management?

Guys lose teammates all the time, it’s the nature of the business. Yeah it sucks, but if guys requested trades every time they lost a teammate, the league would turn into the nba with players flipping teams nonstop. 

Why would Petey be upset about the nucks being quiet about his injury? Does he want his injury out there as common knowledge?

I’m just asking for some tangible evidence of players being upset, not tweets of random dudes voicing their opinions as fact. It’s really not a big ask. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
14 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I hope you at least get paid for your hard work :bigblush:

kudos on your originality.  hard work for you to come up with that.  well done.  you're too bright for me.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In case you havent noticed, having the whole team built by Benning has led to bottom of the league finishes while being a cap maxed team.

Its a results based business. The results have not been there. If I was Aquilini I would demote Benning to amateur scouting and get someone in who understands the damage being done to the brand. Seattle is coming in at the worst time for the Canucks. They may pull a lot of fans from this market if this $&!# show continues.

People may say "good riddance then!" but thats not how the Aquilinis should be looking at it. 

And last season they made the playoffs and won two rounds and went to game 7 in the third round.  That's the standard we should be using because it was a "normal" season, at least in context.  Anyone using this season as a standard is doing so just to confirm their bias

• Hydration 1
13 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Pettersson was Gradins pick. Benning wanted Glass....

And you know this as fact? You must have access to the inside of his head and what he was thinking. WOW!/s

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Benning is dust.

Sorry 7 years of being a GM and what to show for it?  A playoff appearance when a COVID cut season was a big reason we even made the playoffs.

Quick question, how many seasons has J.B. been the g.m.; and how many times has the team made the play offs?

• Hydration 1
Just now, Kenny Blankenship said:

What does Miller’s view on how the league dealt with our Covid outbreak have to do with him being displeased with management?

Guys lose teammates all the time, it’s the nature of the business. Yeah it sucks, but if guys requested trades every time they lost a teammate, the league would turn into the nba with players flipping teams nonstop. 

Why would Petey be upset about the nucks being quiet about his injury? Does he want his injury out there as common knowledge?

I’m just asking for some tangible evidence of players being upset, not tweets of random dudes voicing their opinions as fact. It’s really not a big ask. 

I just gave you a series of events that have happened which can be reasonably taken as "unhappy".  Yeah, the players didn't come out and say "I'm unhappy" but it doesn't take a genius to read in between the lines.

Do better.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, Devron44 said:

I’d like to see some cold hard evidence on some of the “rumours” seems like a whole lot of bs to me. The media and fans have been trying their reach and make a big stink on a whole lot of nothing if you ask me. If everything was true we are in trouble but I find it very very hard to believe most of it. There’s people out there that just want to see world burn. 

A lot of people think an NHL organization is run like their own lives, a huge mess with knee jerk reactions. That's why they buy into all this bull. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3