The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I expect we might see Miller and Schmidt traded. Thats just a hunch really but I just dont think either looks very happy with playing on a bottom feeding team. Miller was openly vocal about not agreeing with the Canucks rolling over for the NHL on a covid return. His body language the last several games has been very obvious that he is frustrated. Whether that is just on the ice or off it too is open to speculation.

One thing that Benning needs to do is sign EP asap. If he takes his chances and waits, I could see an aggressive GM targeting EP with an offer sheet. It doesnt happen often but the Canucks are in a prime cap and roster position to get a player picked off by one.

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Same people who pegged Kesler and the Sedin's as 3rd line players at best? 

same people that wanted Tkachuk. Who hasn't done anything to lead his team to success. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what are you basing that on? what definitive things do you see that prevent him from reaching that level of play? 

The only thing I see holding him back from becoming a solid top 4 guy at this point is opportunity.

If Benning re-signs Edler ahead of free agency, Juolrvi is gone though so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Glensky said:

You think we are the only fan base that calls for ownership and management to give us some answers. We are the paying customers. Be lucky we don’t have fans like Manchester. 

Is that Utd you are referring to?

22 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Just to be clear if you don't like the direction of the team, you're a traitor, or if you don't agree with Benning/ownership, you're not a fan?

No. Just the same as if I don’t criticize every move made by JB and if I think he deserves another year I am not a bootlicker.

9 minutes ago, billabong said:

That doesn’t make any sense Pearson is never going to be in Calgary. This player(s) isn’t doing locker clean out and media he’s just getting the F outta here ASAP 

only guy I can think that the fans will care about it Miller

if it’s anyone else holtby, Myers, schmidt, roussel, eriksson etc.. it’ll be a mute point like who cares 

I'm not just throwing names against the wall. It was reported that it was Pearson last night.

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1394836220253937666?s=20

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

same people that wanted Tkachuk. Who hasn't done anything to lead his team to success. 

Tkachuk has been a good top 6 NHL player for awhile though. OJ has barely played in the NHL. Even though he is a dbag, he is still the better pick by far over Juolevi. He was at the time and its still true now.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Numba9 said:

2019-2020 - Doesn't count because Covid is the only reason they made the playoffs

2020-2021 - Even though the whole team litterly got covid, covid not an excuse for this season

I get what you're trying to do but it makes no sense.

Season was already done when the team went down.

• RoughGame 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail. You negative guys see everything as trash with this team. Yes there are big issues, but the positive still outweighs the negative. 

No, that's a you problem, not a me problem.

11 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

No, it's Raymond Ballard and a 3rd that want out!

I think the locker room wanted both Tanev and Toffoli back. They would have loved Markstrom back as well, but we couldn't offer that deal. As for Tanev and Toffoli, we could have easily had them back and take a pass on Virtanen and Schmidt. Ask yourself this. Would the guys in the locker room want Tanev and Toffoli or Virtanen and Schmidt. If there is any unhappiness with management, it's this. I hope we bring back Hamonic, he is a decent fit.

I have no idea what 'the locker room' wanted and nor do you. 

In retrospect, the only one of those players I miss is Toffoli.  Letting him walk was a big mistake on JB's part. Regarding the others, I much prefer Schmidt, Hamonic and Demko over Tanev and Marks.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Tkachuk has been a good top 6 NHL player for awhile though. OJ has barely played in the NHL. Even though he is a dbag, he is still the better pick by far over Juolevi. He was at the time and its still true now.

sure, but that doesn't mean he'd be a good fit here. He's a horrible fit for this team. Sure he's a good top 6, but he's also a culture killer. The F'Lames are a mess and he's not helping. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

you're better than parroting that noise SK.

As opposed to ignoring legitimate reports?

If it's Blair & Dunce & Sekeres fine. Friedman has mention it multiple times going back to the outbreak. Horvat was asked about support from the management & his answer basically ignored the question.

I think there's enough smoke that there's sometime to it. Whether there's actually trade requests, or what the extent of the issues are, I'm not going that far. But hard to believe there's absolutely nothing to it imo.

Edit: I'd also add Demkos heartfelt plea for Clark to return. If these core guys have another year of major turnover I can't imagine it'll be good for morale - after the reaction to last year's departures.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

I have no idea what 'the locker room' wanted and nor do you. 

In retrospect, the only one of those players I miss is Toffoli.  Letting him walk was a big mistake on JB's part. Regarding the others, I much prefer Schmidt, Hamonic and Demko over Tanev and Marks.

Not true. Petey went out of his way to talk to management - that he wanted Toffoli signed. I don't think Petey was the only one either, just the only one officially quoted on record. As for Tanev, I don't have to look any farther than last years playoff locker room videos. Clearly a big part of leadership in the room. Hughes is also on the record and quoted as missing Tanev from a professional perspective. Truth is, he was mentoring Hughes well, and then we just let the guy walk.

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I expect we might see Miller and Schmidt traded. Thats just a hunch really but I just dont think either looks very happy with playing on a bottom feeding team. Miller was openly vocal about not agreeing with the Canucks rolling over for the NHL on a covid return. His body language the last several games has been very obvious that he is frustrated. Whether that is just on the ice or off it too is open to speculation.

Schmidt I don't know about. Miller would be tough to swallow given how well he's shown he can play for us, and that we likely wouldn't recoup the cost it took to acquire him. But if he does have attitude issues he absolutely needs to go, you can't allow that to fester in a room with a young core.

• Upvote 1