The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

I forgot the part of the Avalanche rebuild where they spent nearly half of their cap-space on bottom six forwards and AHL level talent, which then forced them to move on from legitimate talent and set the team back.  I also forgot the part where the had the same GM and management team for more than half of that time.

Maybe my memory's a little foggy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, ken kaniff said:

It would honestly take far too long to list all the negatives. This team does have good things in place (Petey, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Demko, other young players) but I don’t think those justify the overwhelming incompetence in so many other areas. But to each their own, if you’re still happy with Benning than good on ya. I certainly don’t understand 

name the top 3

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes likes Brady more. 

You can see that MT doesn't carry his team with him, that he's selfish and isn't "the guy" that is capable of leading his team. I could see him being the one Calgary trades this offseason. 

Yeah hopefully to the Nucks. Please make it happen

13 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Okay, but if the team was completely toxic Pearson and Hamonic would still have options elsewhere and you haven't explained away Tofolli wanting to come back either.  I don't like all of Benning's moves either but am distinguishing between that and the state of the locker room.  I'm interested in how Miller, Schmidt, Horvat, Hughes and EP feel too but will be surprised if it's all that bad.  The only real discontent was over the return from covid schedule that Miller articulated for the group.  Then suddenly that is supposed to be the tip of a bigger iceberg.  That's the part I'm not convinced about.  Even with a severely depleted lineup, the effort has been there.  The team hasn't quit on Green, whatever you think of the coaching.

Pearson and Hamonic really dont have options elsewhere that they have with the Canucks. No other team gives Pearson that contract and a guaranteed top 6 spot. Hamonic wont play outside western canada. The Oilers and Jets dont need him in their top 4. The Flames let him go to get Tanev. Maybe he agrees to go to Seattle but it doesnt look like a top 4 opportunity would be there either.

The team doesn't play for each other. Its really the missing element to me. Its a bunch of individuals more than a cohesive team. Part of that is coaching but not all of it. I dont agree this team really works all that hard though, not in the broader sense.

They dont finish checks, the forwards cheat defensively an awful lot. The defense hangs onto the puck too long. They just have no urgency in their game at either end. A lot of that is the systems they play.

• RoughGame 1
7 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yep.  When the fans return, the chants will start, jerseys will be thrown, bridges will be burned.

But hey, you reap what you sow.

Relax the hyperbolic language. 

You're talking about a professional sports team, not the French Revolution.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Hockey101 said:

Yeah hopefully to the Nucks. Please make it happen

I'd trade almost anyone off our roster for Brady. Hard no to Matthew. 

• Hydration 2
3 minutes ago, IRR said:

I hope the teams kills it next season and all these so called fans and media are embarrassed by their behaviour and they swallow there own words!  

Surely they would find something to complain about. They always do. 

• Hydration 2
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:frantic:

if you haven't noticed, clearing cap is very expensive. I'd prefer a trade but it is an option. 

Schmidt being exposed is 100% not an option... 30 GMs would trade for Schmidt in a heart beat and give Canucks something in return rather than let Krak get a puck mover on a great contract for free. Trade yes unprotected cmon now 

• Hydration 1
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd trade almost anyone off our roster for Brady. Hard no to Matthew. 

I d take either Chucky in a heartbeat theres a reason Chucky wears an A in Calgary and he will be there next Captain when Giordano's tender is done.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They didnt actually win 2 rounds and go to game 7 in the 3rd round. They won 1 round and a best 2 of 3 play in to get there. They got trashed in the 2nd round in all areas except Demko. That matters a lot because the cost of doing so was significantly high.

Last year, a season cancelled in the spring and subject to a play in, is normal? If the season had continued there is no guarantee the Canucks even would have made the playoffs. They were sliding down the standings hard. 

No one should use last season or this season to judge the teams competitiveness in a vacuum. People need to look at how the team is constructed and how they actually play.

No chance this team beats any contender if they squeak into the playoffs year to year.

We have 3-4 good young players, a couple of really good vets, a few hope they turn out young guys, and a lot of middle of the road to waiver wire garbage players on this team. At the cap maximum.

So they won 3 rounds, gotcha. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha take a look at their roster then look at the Canucks. Here's a hint, they actually rebuilt properly. And managed their cap very effectively. Yes it was slow and painful but they are set up now for sustainable success.

Yah again I said Canucks are 4-5 years behind so in 4-5 years you can compare the roster of the Canucks at that point to the roster of the Avalanche now. 

Add 2-3 more years of high draft picks 

Edited by Aladeen
  • Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

name the top 3

- Cap mismanagement

- Lack of getting extra picks/prospects to support an actual rebuild

- Having one guy be President, GM, Director of Amateur Scouting, and Director of Player Development at the same time when he is pretty much incompetent at 3 of those.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1
1 minute ago, NucksIn50 said:

Schmidt being exposed is 100% not an option... 30 GMs would trade for Schmidt in a heart beat and give Canucks something in return rather than let Krak get a puck mover on a great contract for free. Trade yes unprotected cmon now 

If we could move Nate for a pick that would be ideal. 

• RoughGame 1
1 minute ago, Hockey101 said:

I d take either Chucky in a heartbeat theres a reason Chucky wears an A in Calgary and he will be there next Captain when Giordano's tender is done.

god I hope so. If he's their captain thats awesome news for the Canucks. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Two misses in the top 5, prospect pool is not that great.

prospect pool "isn't that great" because so many have graduated and are making an impact already lol

All that with a pool that still has ; DiPietro, Gadjovich, Lind, Rathbone, Podkolzin, Jurmo, Focht, Lockwood, Woo, Brisebois... Still a top 10 prospect pool after having something like 10 graduates in the last 2 years. 

Virtanen was also 6th so he's only had 1 miss in the top 5, and that player has been quite steady in his first year in the NHL. Let's give Olli next year before calling him a miss. 

On the flip side, he stole gems from the draft how many times? ; Hoglander in the 2nd, Pettersson at 5; Hughes at 8; Boeser at 23; Demko in the 2nd; Rathbone in the 4th....

So yeah, his drafting is elite. His contracts are trash but let's see how he handles Petey Hughes and Hamonic this off season because Demko at 5x5 was brilliant. 

• Hydration 4

Sounds like the Aquilini's are going to stake everything on Benning Hill, despite what the fans want. 

I can see Miller wanting out, for sure. Schmidt looks like a guy who has reached a low point in his career - and he has. Holtby's probably wondering what it's like to live in Seattle. The bad signings: Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, Spooner, etc.

Watch them give a big contract to Edler.  My guess is $4 x 2 (full NMC)

Have to wonder how the young players (Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, etc) are feeling about this chaos. For all we know Tryamkin has talked to Podkolzin about the NHL in Vancouver and what to expect. I suspect Podz would make his own mind up, but this disarray with the team might make him wonder too.  

• Like 1