The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

- Cap mismanagement

So if Jim has learned his lesson, this problem is done in a year. So here's hoping. I do think he needs help here. 

- Lack of getting extra picks/prospects to support an actual rebuild

water under the bridge, its gone. No point in gnashing teeth over it now.

- Having one guy be President, GM, Director of Amateur Scouting, and Director of Player Development at the same time when he is pretty much incompetent at 3 of those.

^ this is the biggest issue imo. 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They won 1 round. The play in wasnt a 7 game playoff round, nor was it considered the first round of the playoffs.

Was it a series of games? Oh it was then they won 2 of 5 rounds and went to 7 in the third. But do carry on not counting it cause it suits your bias narrative. :)

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Link

Still prefer Schmidt, Hamonic and Demko.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1305646929838108672?s=20

on Toffoli/Markstrom: They've made it a priority that they went to get these 2 guys in. Toffoli has expressed interest in being in Vancouver & playing with Pettersson. Pettersson has talked to Benning about having him in the room. 4.8 for 4 years could get deal done

Edited by gizmo2337
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yep.  When the fans return, the chants will start, jerseys will be thrown, bridges will be burned.

But hey, you reap what you sow.

Leaf and Oiler fans didn't start doing that until 10 years into their rebuild.  Throwing jerseys on the ice and booing your team is disgusting imo.  I don't think it will happen in Vancouver though.  This team is moving forward not backward.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, beni said:

Does Benning have some dirt on Aquaman or something?

Why would he continue to settle for mediocrity. A team spending to the cap should in no way be this awful

well our roster is only at 66M

Hope this helps

• Cheers 3

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like the Aquilini's are going to stake everything on Benning Hill, despite what the fans want. 

I can see Miller wanting out, for sure. Schmidt looks like a guy who has reached a low point in his career - and he has. Holtby's probably wondering what it's like to live in Seattle. The bad signings: Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Ferland, Spooner, etc.

Watch them give a big contract to Edler.  My guess is $4 x 2 (full NMC)

Have to wonder how the young players (Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, etc) are feeling about this chaos. For all we know Tryamkin has talked to Podkolzin about the NHL in Vancouver and what to expect. I suspect Podz would make his own mind up, but this disarray with the team might make him wonder too.  

"despite what the fans want. "

Despite what a few noisy fans want.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, IRR said:

I hope the teams kills it next season and all these so called fans and media are embarrassed by their behaviour and they swallow there own words!  

Oh the media will still find (ie: make up) conjecture filled, hyperbolic drama to get the usual noisy minority to froth over and drive clicks and listeners. And the cesspool that is 'Canucks Twitter' will eat it all up in their misery echo chamber.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet650/status/1305646929838108672?s=20

on Toffoli/Markstrom: They've made it a priority that they went to get these 2 guys in. Toffoli has expressed interest in being in Vancouver & playing with Pettersson. Pettersson has talked to Benning about having him in the room. 4.8 for 4 years could get deal done

Thx for providing a link. 

As stated earlier, I didn't like that Toffoli wasn't signed; it was a huge mistake on JB's part.  Still haven't changed my stance on letting Tanev + Marks go. 

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

If you think MT is a better teammate then Miller you need to go back to hockey 101. I have zero idea how you would draw that conclusion. 

There have been multiple reports this season's about rifts in the flames dressing room regarding MT.

https://nhltradetalk.com/matthew-tkachuk-flames-temmates-at-odds/

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/02/matt-tkachuk-was-pissed-off-at.html

https://youtu.be/-313waa1dSw

That's the top 3 things that come up when I googled Mathew Tkachuk teammates.  

On the flipside Miller's Google search shows up going out on a limb to protect his team after they were being rushed to return from covid. JV was very vocal last year talking about how much Miller had been helping him. Sure Jake has a ton of other issues, but that doesn't reflect on the fact Miller was clearly trying to help him.

I don't know how you came up with your conclusion but evidence points towards you just having it backwards.

One wonders if this was a factor in the 2016 draft and led to JB preferring OJ?

JB has said from day one of his tenure here that when they look at prospects and/or FA's that they prioritize several factors - one of which is character.

In a difficult season for the team, you have to give credit to JB for assembling a team that could have complained, spoken out publicly in a bad light (not like Miller speaking against the schedule which was positive) and/or given up - but they persevered, right until the end. 

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

One wonders if this was a factor in the 2016 draft and led to JB preferring OJ?

JB has said from day one of his tenure here that when they look at prospects and/or FA's that they prioritize several factors - one of which is character.

In a difficult season for the team, you have to give credit to JB for assembling a team that could have complained, spoken out publicly in a bad light (not like Miller speaking against the schedule which was positive) and/or given up - but they persevered, right until the end. 

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, I don't think the team even interviewed MT. Seems like to me they didn't like his attitude and didn't even think he was a possibility.

• Cheers 1

I have been a pretty vocal Benning supporter because he has generally did a good rebuilding this team from the ground up. However, that being said... There absolutely needs to be a president of hockey ops. I think there needs to be someone there that can reduce the role of Benning slightly. This coaching controversy being drawn out this far, shows that there is something wrong with this organization. 

I wonder what the players think about the whole situation. Are they upset? Demko seems to be one player who will be at least disappointed by Clark leaving. Maybe those rumours are just white noise and I hope it is. There needs to be some change but I think that change is having an actual President of Hockey Ops.

Edited by warrchief

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Oh the media will still find (ie: make up) conjecture filled, hyperbolic drama to get the usual noisy minority to froth over and drive clicks and listeners. And the cesspool that is 'Canucks Twitter' will eat it all up in their misery echo chamber.

real and true GIF

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I am happy to see Benning come back.  I feel he has done a good job over the past few years to set us us for longer term success.  I get that people like to go back through his early years and pick apart the mistakes from the early stages of the rebuild, which is fine, but I think they need to recognize the improvements he has made since. Trades have been excellent, drafting has been as good as anyone league wide, Re signing players has been solid, UFA's were a major issue that need to be better.

I look at this year as a 1 off.  We needed to shed some our old core in Markstrom, Tanev, and to a certain degree Stecher.  We had a short camp, no ex games, and then right into 16 games in 25 days in 6 cities.  We were a 500 team after that start.  That 500 record includes a 3 week break with our whole team getting Covid, many with legit symptoms, and then 19 games in 31 days.  And our best player was out for most of those games.  We also played in a far tougher division than we will be in next year.  Next year we fight with the Flames, 3 California teams and an expansion team for the 3rd spot in our division, I'm confident we see significant improvement next year.

Looking forward, we are going to add Podkolzin, who I feel is exactly what we need in our top 6.  I am very, very high on this kid.  Our later round depth, which I feel has been JB's biggest strength is ready or close:  Rathbone, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, DiPietro, Jasek.  I think we have a few solid NHLers in that group, as early as next year.  We willtalso add some high end talent with 2 a top 10 and top 40 pick this year.  We are developing an outstanding home grown core of very good young players.

The biggest complaint out there with JB is the cap crunch, which has been a major issue.  Right now we are paying Luongo, Spooner, Baertcschi, LE 12 million of cap not to play for us. We also have Beagle, Rous, Sutter making 10 million for little production.  That is 1/4 of our cap providing very little. That all opens up over the next 2 years, right as we have our young guys getting into their prime and we know exactly what gaps we have.  While this dead weight has really hurt this year, and will a little next year, I feel the "forced savings" will be a blessing in disguise in the near future.  

This year sucked, no doubt about it.  The emergence of Demko and Hoglander along with adding a top 10 pick to not outweigh the disappointment.  I do think we come back with a vastly improved team/organization next season, and the start of a very solid Era is about to begin.

Doesnt it all come off the books in 12 months from now..?