The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Does Kapean put out this kind of player rebellion non sense. Trades and contract talk are one thing that I can see players leaking to the media cause it has a purpose to their negotiations. This kind of non sense really are not what any player want to get out of the room. 

K, I will get on board if we agree Drance talked to Loui  ;)

We need to weed out the unethical reporters that are spreading these "gossip" mill stuff from our fanbase. I agree. It serves no one any purpose to have a player whine about his situation to the media like that. Completely unprofessional.

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

That's an awesome picture of Benning.  Has made me laugh each time I've seen it. 

I look forward to using lots over the next 8 months  It won’t be much good after that since Jb won’t be here.

also I’m sure they’ll be a fresh batch of deer in the headlights images of him over the next  three months 

• RoughGame 2

13 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

LOL. You would rather stand by Jim &^@#ing Benning than support the players?? Bro that is sad. Players are allowed to be unhappy with management and ownership. Especially how they were treated by the NHL and management during the outbreak. 

Why are you making this talk more divisive than it needs to be?

• Hydration 2

17 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not a smart move letting Green coach the year on an expiring deal.  Believe in him or not, but don't let him hang like that.  There's a reason why he tended to lean on vets even when 'playoffs' were a distant possibility during the year.  Give him SOME security so he won't have problems getting prospects/developing players much needed icetime without him having to look over his shoulder.

I always felt like they planned to let Green go at the end of last season, but then after how well we did in the bubble they felt like they had to keep him.  But know that this season was a train wreck they can just let him walk. I don't dislike Green as a coach however I always thought he was brought in as a developmental coach who would be replaced when the team turned a corner skill wise.  I liked that plan if true when he was hired and still do now.  I think its time for a coach that complements our team, hopefully that guy is available.

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. Just tired of the always (or nearly always) negative takes from a lot of folks. There's a lot to like about the core of the team. 

But if you want to go to Uncle Laleets protest on the weekend, stay safe. 

The thing is, only the controversial topics are going to be discussed for the most part.

I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees that Pettersson is awesome, and Boeser is awesome, and Demko is awesome, and they were all great picks. What is there to argue about here?

I don't think you need me post "Wow! Nice shot by Pettersson!" for you to know that EP has a good shot, I assume you know that.

Nor is me posting something like that going to magically make you think, "Wow, he said something nice about one of Benning's moves. Maybe he is right about Benning being a bad GM. He just validated his negative opinions with a positive one, so now I will consider his viewpoints more seriously!"

C'mon now lol

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He is. But this team is honestly a bunch of passive players. An agitator would help the team.

it would. I just don't see a leader there. Totally agree we need an aggressive winger, just not that aggressive winger. I'd take Brady in a heartbeat tho. 

• Hydration 1

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

For sure there have been cap gaffes, which is why I'm hoping we see some new management in, a president hopefully. But if he can learn from this and we don't see any more Roussel-type deals we're in good shape after next season. 

I was fine with Jim being let go if we had an upgrade coming. Clearly thats not the case, either because Aqua didn't have a candidate or he's not willing to spend (which isn't really supported by his history).

I think a major part of us not seeing a change is there isn't a replacement above or below Jim to handle the draft and RFA extensions. I also think he must have got enough good feedback from guys like the Sedins on the direction of the team that he wasn't interested in making a change right now.

I do think Jim's on a short leash. If we see another bad start he's likely done early into the season. 

I agree with everything you said. This was quite a pleasant discussion. Usually it’s one side vs the other and it gets pretty heated (I think my replies come off a little on edge so my apologies) but you have been nice to discuss with. So thanks for that

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

While not OFFICIALLY a playoff series a 5 game playoff is still a series which we won. Discredit it all you want doesn’t make it any less true. And I knew the disgruntled Benning folk would downplay it as such. 

There were 5 rounds for some teams to get to the Finals last year like it or not. 

Officially is all that matters. They didnt get to the 3rd round of the playoffs. 

Typically in the playoffs weak bubble teams dont play other weak bubble teams in the first round. Thats the difference. And thats why it isnt a playoff series.

7 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Let’s see in general

1. Awful Cap Management which resulted in not having enough cap space for Toffoli.

2. Signing players for big and long (lol) contracts. And no he didn’t need to pay all that money to entice people to come to Van. There are a bunch of Beagles and Roussels in the league. There are a lot better players than them signed for much cheaper contracts. Plus we were supposed to be “rebuilding” so why sign old vets for so long and high cap? Why not either trade for those players and get a premium back for taking on a bad contract or sign a project player that can either A) Produce the same but on a much cheaper contract or B ) Turn out to be a half decent player we can flip or sign long term. I’d rather have Groavac and Bailey signed for cheap than have Beagle, Roussel and Eriksson anchor the team. And don’t say hindsight is 203 because those ALL were bad contracts as soon as they were signed. Couldn’t predict Eriksson would be THAT bad but it was a bad move from the very start.

3. Claims to be a great drafter (he’s maybe slightly above average at best) but traded picks and young players. And he’s not even that great at drafting, better than Gillis no doubt but went off the board with Juolevi and Virtanen and those were misses. His only off the board pick was Pettersson. The rest were consensus picks. And it’s too early to tell with Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone etc... And you can’t count Gaudette because if he was good then why did Benning trade him for an AHL tweener that’s a year older than him? Or Gaudette is good and Benning just made a dumb trade for a lesser asset?

I can go on but this took long enough to type. We’re just not going to see eye to eye. You support Benning and that’s your right, I think he’s been awful from the start and that’s how it goes. You can’t convince me otherwise. And although Points 1 and 2 are similar they are different so don’t be that guy. For every good move Benning has done there are AT LEAST 2 Bad things

They had the space for Toffoli.  They picked up Schmidt the same day.  

Have you ever stopped to think that that maybe they didn't want him back at that term and $?  Also consider that he was on the open market for a week or so ,and no other GM offered him that deal?  

Coming into this season Toffoli was a 46 point per year forward on average and had broken 50 points once.  Not many 29 year olds break out and have career years, good on Toffoli, I am legit stoked for him.  Montreal looks to have hit a grand slam with this deal.   Hindsight is 20/20.  In hindsight we'd love to have him, but offering a 28 year old UFA  who has broken 50 points once a long term pricey deal had significant risk attached to it. 

UFA's have been an issue, no arguing that, but I trust that we are through those after this coming season.  Lessons will be learned, or JB will be gone, no doubt about that.

Hughes was far from concensus.  Many people had Boquist, Dobson, and Bouchard on the same tier.  Most felt Hughes had the highest ceiling, but the lowest floor.  Boeser was also not concensus.  Nor were Hoglander or Demko.  Most here were losing it over the EP pick.  Where JB is said to be very good at drafting is in the later rounds.  Those guys are all coming up next year and the year after.  We'll see how those guys pan out.

• Hydration 3

Just now, ken kaniff said:

I agree with everything you said. This was quite a pleasant discussion. Usually it’s one side vs the other and it gets pretty heated (I think my replies come off a little on edge so my apologies) but you have been nice to discuss with. So thanks for that

same here. 

We're all a little pissy and tied of covid I think. We also really need a good story as a fan base. 

• Hydration 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Officially is all that matters. They didnt get to the 3rd round of the playoffs. 

Typically in the playoffs weak bubble teams dont play other weak bubble teams in the first round. Thats the difference. And thats why it isnt a playoff series.

Was still a series and we won. Next. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would. I just don't see a leader there. Totally agree we need an aggressive winger, just not that aggressive winger. I'd take Brady in a heartbeat tho. 

Why does every player need to be aleader to be considered a fit though?

Isnt that why we have a million mediocre vets?

Just now, combover said:

@canuck73_3 they need an add on so it can just auto  brown bag me for you save some time hunting through. Lol

A Sarcastic sorry, 

I think your God (Jb ) is a failure and is like his franchise worst record. 

4D6F8EB9-1DED-4E37-8BFE-36BD90DF16DB.jpeg

Franchise worst? Someone slept through the 70’s and most of the 80’s and 90’s then. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how so? I've said many times I think Jim's done well drafting and RFA deals. He needs help with UFAs, pro-scouting and communications. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, just because some don't follow you down every negative rabbit hole doesn't mean its "mindless". 

Because my opinion isn't automatically a "negative rabbit hole".

That's just like, your opinion, man.