The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

41 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It does suck... 

The big issue though will be when they find a way to bring the games to the big markets n the far east. I could easily see parts of the season being played im China, Singapore, Australia or the likes... as you say, its a brand. 
The ‘noisy’ neighbours are the best team in Europe right now, and maybe has been the last few years... 

Utd have come up short in resent years, but with a few new players and some luck, we will challange for the title again in a year or two... it’s getting better, but still a bit to go...

Ironically with everything going on around here in Canuckland it boils down to ownership and the direction of the club. Man U is quite frankly content at the moment riding the coattails of 2 decades of dominance domestically and in Europe (kind of like the early 90’s Cowboys and Jerruh Jones) while City realized that with a (lot) of spending and smart business decisions they could eventually become the best club in Europe and put a stranglehold on the EPL for a long time. I hate the idea of City and what they have done with who’s backing them financially but I admire what they have done with acquiring and identifying talent from Vincent Kompany back in the day to Kevin De Bruyne (my favorite player) and building a youth development tunnel which is outstanding. Not to mention Pep. They just get it as a brand and know what they are doing and how they are going to get there. 

• Cheers 1

I'd disagree on City.  They've produced/developed Foden...and who else?  Micah Richards?  Most young players they've invested in were already established at other clubs or were on the cusp of breaking out.  Not to mention, they have a sect of young players they buy that typically get laundered out to Girona the rest of the City group teams only to never get heard from again.

They may be successful but nobody in the football world admires - much less cares about - their success.  They won the EPL last week and I don't think I saw one tweet about it.  The same thing will happen if they win the UCL.

In any event, we shouldn't derail.  Fans have a right to protest in sports as they're paying customers, and, as cliche as it is to say, they are the lifeline of a club.  As long as they're not threatening violence/committing crimes, let them do what they want.  If a banner or a chant harms or "embarrasses" the brand, the brand was never strong to begin with.

Edited by Alain Vigneault

11 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I'd disagree on City.  They've produced/developed Foden...and who else?  Micah Richards?  Most young players they've invested in were already established at other clubs or were on the cusp of breaking out.  Not to mention, they have a sect of young players they buy that typically get laundered out to Girona the rest of the City group teams only to never get heard from again.

They may be successful but nobody in the football world admires - much less cares about - their success.  They won the EPL last week and I don't think I saw one tweet about it.  The same thing will happen if they win the UCL.

In any event, we shouldn't derail.  Fans have a right to protest in sports as they're paying customers, and, as cliche as it is to say, they are the lifeline of a club.  As long as they're not threatening violence/committing crimes, let them do what they want.  If a banner or a chant harms or "embarrasses" the brand, the brand was never strong to begin with.

Nah, I kind of disagree. You have to be able to identify that talent that’s about to break out not acquire the already established talent that you have to pay the outright premium for. Kompany, Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling, Gundogen, etc are all examples of players who had the talent yet weren’t exactly fully established stars at big clubs. City has done the best job at finding that true potential and given them the direction, coaching, and position to succeed to their upmost potential. Well run clubs to it well, aka Liverpool with Salah and Van Dijk, but it takes competent minds to find these players and have them thrive in the system and product you are going to sell. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Nah, I kind of disagree. You have to be able to identify that talent that’s about to break out not acquire the already established talent that you have to pay the outright premium for. Kompany, Aguero, De Bruyne, Sterling, Gundogen, etc are all examples of players who had the talent yet weren’t exactly fully established stars at big clubs. City has done the best job at finding that true potential and given them the direction, coaching, and position to succeed to their upmost potential. Well run clubs to it well, aka Liverpool with Salah and Van Dijk, but it takes competent minds to find these players and have them thrive in the system and product you are going to sell. 

To casual supporters, maybe, but not to those who followed the game.

Kompany was playing top flight in Germany for nearly 2 years before moving to City

Aguero had scored more than 50 league goals for Atleti before moving to City, had won the 2010 Europa League, and was the star of 2007 U20 World Cup

De Bruyne was already at Chelsea and then led the Bundesliga in assists ahead of his move to City

Sterling was a major part of Liverpool's 2014 Premier League run.  In fact, his move garnered controversy because people didn't believe he was taking a step up in his career and was moving for money

Gundogan was a major part of Dortmund's squad that won back to back titles in 2011 and 2012.  He also scored a penalty in the 2013 UCL final.

City certainly proved to a great step for these players but they were hardly unknown or unproven at the times of their moves.  City hardly developed these players.  That's not a bad thing but dispels the narrative you're suggesting exists.

3 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Lol 3 years bro ? Last season you kept going off on how Loui was a solid bottom 6 guy. 

well, compared to this years crew he was/is

after hearing for some time that Travis is auditioning bottom 6 players for next year

I have to ask, is Loui any worse than Boyd, Vesey, Michealis, Hawryluk, Lind?

He is actually more dependable than Bailey and everyones current favorite son Tyler Motte who cannot complete 1/2 a season

I am by no means a fan of LE but I wonder if our record would have been better or worse if Loui played all 56 games?

• Cheers 1

Not surprised.

This ownership is too cheap to throw away his salary.

He's got the remaining two years on his extension to stop with the stupid 3/4 line tinkering and throwing away draft choices on nobodies.

If he doesn't then he's on the chopping block in 2022.

Likely they will axe Green because his contract is up.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

and you think that's a realistic possibility?

It takes multiple influencers to enact any real kind of threat through this kind of action.

The reality of it is, even if 15k seasons tix holders rage quit, there's 15k socialites chomping at the bit to get their taste.

Live games is all about the social status box ticks, than it is about hockey.. or at least it is for around 18k of 20k seats.

Edited by xereau
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

It takes multiple influencers to enact any real kind of threat through this kind of action.

The reality of it is, even if 15k seasons tix holders rate quit, there's 15k socialites chomping at the bit to get their taste.

Live games is all about the social status box ticks, than it is about hockey.. or at least it is for around 18k of 20k seats.

I highly doubt theres even a waitlist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

All of this arguing about the GM. I wonder when folk are going to wake up and realize that ownership is the issue here. It all starts from there. 

Remember when Ottawa was the laughing stock 

and fans wanted Melnyk out?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/four-fan-funded-melnykout-billboards-go-ottawa/

that was 3 years ago

some fans in Vancouver still believe that Melnyk is the worst owner in sport

but I heard recently that he doess not live in Ottawa presently

and the team is doing better (probably as a result)

So here is the problem as I see it

https://www.nhl.com/senators/team/hockeyops

see the difference?

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/team/front-office

Oh look, scroll down, you'll find another one

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/team/coaches-and-staff

I count 5 Aquas involved with teh team

Franco is using the canucks as an work experience project for his family

with  that in mind, how long will it be until we see Christian Aquallini as the new GM?

22 minutes ago, xereau said:

The reality of it is, even if 15k seasons tix holders rage quit, there's 15k socialites chomping at the bit to get their taste.

that is really only true when the team is winning

when the team is winning "Being seen" at the hockey game becomes the cool thing

there used to be a poster with the avetar of a blonde hottie flipping her hair at a Canuck game, you don't see that any more cuz 

Hot Blondies don't want to be seen at loser Canuck games

If you were schmoozing a big client would you give them box seats to watch the Cancuks lose 6-2 to Calgary?

9 hours ago, tas said:

why quote literal nobodies on Twitter as if anything they say is even remotely relevant?

god, I miss the days when not everybody had a soapbox. social media is an atrocity. 

hahah 

but I just quoted you

and 

you just quoted me

we are a couple of nobodies with 3 letter names on a fan page

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Ironically with everything going on around here in Canuckland it boils down to ownership and the direction of the club. Man U is quite frankly content at the moment riding the coattails of 2 decades of dominance domestically and in Europe (kind of like the early 90’s Cowboys and Jerruh Jones) while City realized that with a (lot) of spending and smart business decisions they could eventually become the best club in Europe and put a stranglehold on the EPL for a long time. I hate the idea of City and what they have done with who’s backing them financially but I admire what they have done with acquiring and identifying talent from Vincent Kompany back in the day to Kevin De Bruyne (my favorite player) and building a youth development tunnel which is outstanding. Not to mention Pep. They just get it as a brand and know what they are doing and how they are going to get there. 

Very true... 

I think the key to it all has been Pep. Nothing short of astonishing what he has achieved. First at Barca, then Bayern and now City.... 

Utd tried to hire a winner in both Van Gaal and then Mourinho, but it did not materialize... 

Can I just say that the demonstrations at Utd has taken off because the owners tried to fundamentally change the culture of football, as we know it in Europe. The entitlement and greed shown, has been nothing short of disgusting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He is. But this team is honestly a bunch of passive players. An agitator would help the team.

Gadjovich and MacEwen both got benched after "Sticking up " for their team mates this year

we had Dorsett and to a lesser extent Beagle

Horvat broke up a scuffle between McD and Highmore a few games back

there is just no follow into the fight with this group

Now we are bringing the Sedins back ???

this is turning into a "Turn all four cheeks " club

Thank you sir, may I have another.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

Gadjovich and MacEwen both got benched after "Sticking up " for their team mates this year

we had Dorsett and to a lesser extent Beagle

Horvat broke up a scuffle between McD and Highmore a few games back

there is just no follow into the fight with this group

Now we are bringing the Sedins back ???

this is turning into a "Turn all four cheeks " club

Thank you sir, may I have another.

That is the missing ingredient for me, more than anything. 

This team, from management down, has a very disjointed feel to it. Its tough to describe or isolate. No identity, no pushback, no having each others backs. 

This doesnt feel like a tight knit group that would go through walls for each other. They say the right things but actions and body language speak louder than words.

How many times have we seen Holtby glare at his D when they hang him out to dry? How many times have we seen Miller get frustrated not only by mistakes he makes but by ones by his teammates? Thats not to disparage either guy. Its just interesting to see that frustration.

Its not just player to player either. Look at Hoglander on the bench with the empty net and 2 goals. The look on his face said volumes about how he felt there. He didnt hide it at all. Yet a few games later Edler is net front on pp1 to try to get him a personal milestone. 

Gads showed more balls in that game than we see from anyone not named MacEwan. Thats sad to me. The kid may need to get his skating up but to not play him after that was a bad look for Green.

No wonder our young guys get mugged. No one gives a $&!# when they do. This "play for the PP" bs has been going on too long. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1