The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Jim Benning has done none of what you mentioned. I keep hearing about this winning culture all the time, where is that? Everyone just says it, but like, where is it? Lol. 

You know what would support the young guys more than Sutter puffing out his chest with his 12 points? Players who can create offence. 

Your building a business in small steps analogy has absolutely no relation to what Jim Benning is doing. In fact, I would argue that Jim Benning attempted a rocket launch that ended up as Challenger. Signing UFA’s when you’re in the leagues Ghetto is literally trying to speed things up lol. You can fill your roster with Sutter/ Roussel like production for the league minimum, every single off season, ever. Stop acting like he is doing any favours here. Roussel for example displaced Toffoli with his contract. What helps Hughes, EP, Hogs more? speeches or goals? 

I just thought of this point so I will add it now. Sorry for double quoting you.

Both Edm and Tor have built their teams around a high scoring offense. Their D and goalie situation is kinda sketchy. How far into the playoffs do you predict they will get? 

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This whole defense mechanism where every good thing done is all Benning (&^@# that bum Brackett, amirite?) but every bad decision was forced on an unwilling Benning, dragged kicking and screaming into doing something he didnt want to by Linden or the owners. Its ridiculous, illogical, and designed just to blindly support Benning.

That's pretty ironic coming from you, since people like you have no problems crediting anything good that happens to the Canucks to anyone other than Benning, while only the bad things get blamed on Benning.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Hockey is not all offence. There is Defense. 

Winning culture is not just about winning games otherwise only the Stanley cup champs could be defined as a winning culture. 

Take Edm of past years, they had many good young players that washed out or did better on a different team. What was the cause? They, at one point, traded to get Smith(was that his name?) back to try to help but that loser mentality just got too much and that is what they became. Now, would all of those players have washed out if they had been allowed to develop in lower leagues. Accept that they were going to lose but get hard workers that help and try to win game in game out. Players that teach what is expected of them. This kind of planning while not pretty helps your prospect pool develop. It helps people to progress and build their confidence instead of having it torn away. Then as you add your prospects in, they add and build to that culture leading to a progress of better seasons.

Not everything is about having as many picks as possible. Sometimes having a few players that generate the peer pressure in the locker room to push people forward. Benning has brought in players and traded players that have helped the now.

Could we have gotten a few more picks, sure? So, you get a few more picks and with Bennings drafting a few more possibilities but that is only part of the process.

As for the idea that we could have traded Tanev or Markstrom at the deadline, maybe? We have had players that we thought would for sure be traded at the deadline who then got injured and nothing happened. We have also had deals on the table like Hamius who then either nix'd the trade or the Stars did. It takes two to tango and you cannot realistically say that we could have. Benning has tried before and then told reporters that there just wasn't a trade to be made.

Define how the Canucks have a winning culture?

Benning himself defines it as actuall winning hockey games and competing every year for the playoffs. We see how that has turned out, havent we.

Leadership is by example. Always. This team doesnt need a half dozen old guys that cant play at a high enough level to make a difference to tell the young guys how to play or be pros. It needs guys - whatever their age - that can contribute on the ice. 

The young players - and Markstrom then Demko - are the ones who have been leading by example the last 2 years. The veterans are along for  the the ride and the cushy contract.

Its been a conscious decision by Benning to hang onto players at the deadline pretty much every year.

If none of our players can be traded - whether due to injury, inconsistent play, bad contracts, Benning not being able to make a trade or some combination of these - it seems hard to make the argument on the flip side that they are important players and keys to success. If they were someone would trade for them.

So either Benning has chosen to keep those UFA, even though that strategy has failed, or he cant trade the players he deemed important enough to give long deals to for "leadership". Which of those $&!# sandwiches tastes better to you?

This antiquated notion about needing a half dozen vets for 4 or more years to provide leadership is the most overrated concept on cdc. You might need one or two at most. Talk to some NHL young players and see what they think.

4 minutes ago, Nucksownyou said:

That's pretty ironic coming from you, since people like you have no problems crediting anything good that happens to the Canucks to anyone other than Benning, while only the bad things get blamed on Benning.

Nope, you have the wrong guy. 

I give Benning credit when I think he deserves it. I criticize him when I dont.

It just so happens I see a lot more bad than good with him. 

But I am not a hater at all. Hate the process, not the man. 

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Define how the Canucks have a winning culture?

Benning himself defines it as actuall winning hockey games and competing every year for the playoffs. We see how that has turned out, havent we.

Leadership is by example. Always. This team doesnt need a half dozen old guys that cant play at a high enough level to make a difference to tell the young guys how to play or be pros. It needs guys - whatever their age - that can contribute on the ice. 

The young players - and Markstrom then Demko - are the ones who have been leading by example the last 2 years. The veterans are along for  the the ride and the cushy contract.

Its been a conscious decision by Benning to hang onto players at the deadline pretty much every year.

If none of our players can be traded - whether due to injury, inconsistent play, bad contracts, Benning not being able to make a trade or some combination of these - it seems hard to make the argument on the flip side that they are important players and keys to success. If they were someone would trade for them.

So either Benning has chosen to keep those UFA, even though that strategy has failed, or he cant trade the players he deemed important enough to give long deals to for "leadership". Which of those $&!# sandwiches tastes better to you?

This antiquated notion about needing a half dozen vets for 4 or more years to provide leadership is the most overrated concept on cdc. You might need one or two at most. Talk to some NHL young players and see what they think.

This is all garbage. Benning has traded players. Many. You are making a narrative to suit yourself. 

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

I disagree. Admittedly the term "winning culture" is unfortunate, better would have been something like "a group of experienced leaders that will show the young players how to be a good professional and how to play the right way". Especially on the defensive side of the game and in the general approach (routines, practice, bonding etc.) most prospects need guidance. Obviously JB and Green want a team where everybody plays at least a decent two-way game. Can't blame them for that.

People claim, the team should just have run with cheap fillers and the young guns. But who knows if Boeser would have developed the way he has without Pearson and Miller? Horvat has mentioned how important the Sedins were for him and how big a role they played in his development to the player he is now. What about EP? Who can estimate to what extent he benefitted from having some good, experienced defensive centers (Sutter, Beagle) behind him. Is it unlikely that being around Tanev and Edler has helped QH become better? Some don't get it (Gaudette, Goldobin, Dahlen) and will never make it in the big league. The offense will eventually come automatically.

Dude, I’m not arguing the theory behind this, I am arguing the cost. Your post is full of theoretical nonsense. There is just no way anyone could ever convince me or really anyone out of this pro Benning CDC ecosystem that we are getting value out of our bottom 6 contracts. A veteran being rewarded on UFA day for the production he had on another team isn’t a good message to our players either. You wanna talk about these players influencing our young players? Ok, what about our young players looking at a guy like Roussel and thinking, man, I can’t till I’m a UFA, it’s going to be awesome. I’ll just take the highest offer and go out to pasture. Like seriously. You want character? Draft character. You want leadership go get a you a Joe Thornton on a 1 year deal. 

9 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Dude, I’m not arguing the theory behind this, I am arguing the cost. Your post is full of theoretical nonsense. There is just no way anyone could ever convince me or really anyone out of this pro Benning CDC ecosystem that we are getting value out of our bottom 6 contracts. A veteran being rewarded on UFA day for the production he had on another team isn’t a good message to our players either. You wanna talk about these players influencing our young players? Ok, what about our young players looking at a guy like Roussel and thinking, man, I can’t till I’m a UFA, it’s going to be awesome. I’ll just take the highest offer and go out to pasture. Like seriously. You want character? Draft character. You want leadership go get a you a Joe Thornton on a 1 year deal. 

Is it you Gonzo? The pic doesn't do you justice so I can't see. 

13 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

And thinking that guy gave his heart and soul for the team even after a pretty bad knee injury he faced Reeves and took the Knights off their game. What a warrior!

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What is this winning culture that you are all on about?  

Don't you need to win to create a winning culture?

Quinn Hughes mentioned “winning” recently.  He was talking about his rookie year - especially the bubble.  That taste of winning was important for the young core guys.  A rebuild isn’t usually linear.  We took a step back this year.  I expect a step forward next year, and two steps ahead the following season.  We have key positions filled with very good players, and several young guys coming up.  

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Old guys in scooters are just bad news.  :emot-parrot:

9 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

especially when they need to mask up. Their daddy might get mad.

I think those guys are douchebags, too, but making fun of someone's physical disability is pretty douchey in its own right. 

3 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I just thought of this point so I will add it now. Sorry for double quoting you.

Both Edm and Tor have built their teams around a high scoring offense. Their D and goalie situation is kinda sketchy. How far into the playoffs do you predict they will get? 

I find it odd to compare our team to two teams that have benefitted so well from the draft lottery, and then they call it a winning culture. 

11 minutes ago, tas said:

I think those guys are douchebags, too, but making fun of someone's physical disability is pretty douchey in its own right. 

If I see you, while driving my scooter, I am running over your toes.  :shock:

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I find it odd to compare our team to two teams that have benefitted so well from the draft lottery, and then they call it a winning culture. 

We have benefitted, no. We got Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hogs and likely someone this year. All of them are excelling.

The whole team was pissed at the start of the year because of Benning's moves. And all the Benning cool aid drinkers say yah it was necessary because of future cap problems . I say bull crap to that . Allso Benning is a Drafting God . My dog could draft as well as him . Virtanen , Juolevi both misses compared to what was on the board. Over paying and  signing free agents is a crap shoot but when you make a mistake move on . Benning's failure as a GM to make a difference and his bumbling persona makes him a laughing stock of the league . We are 7 years into this and I say another 5 may make us a contender do we have the time to give this Idiot to draft and sign players that we will not win with?