The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

The whole team was pissed at the start of the year because of Benning's moves. And all the Benning cool aid drinkers say yah it was necessary because of future cap problems . I say bull crap to that . Allso Benning is a Drafting God . My dog could draft as well as him . Virtanen , Juolevi both misses compared to what was on the board. Over paying and  signing free agents is a crap shoot but when you make a mistake move on . Benning's failure as a GM to make a difference and his bumbling persona makes him a laughing stock of the league . We are 7 years into this and I say another 5 may make us a contender do we have the time to give this Idiot to draft and sign players that we will not win with?

I am scared he is going to sign Petey and Hughes to four year contracts which takes them to UFA

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Look!

It is you, Combover and Wayne. What a protest! Did you three ask your mommies for bus fare? Looks like a bunch of winners.

I don’t need to go I much rather just keep posting this picture of a guy who’s failed to deliver on 99% of what he’s said dating back to 2014 and continued to fail last summers 

from “ it doesn’t have to take ten years”

and classics like “ foundational” and “ winning environment”

to “ I don’t think we took a step backwards”

“We ran out of time” and “ in two years we should be good” 

also I’ll be chanting “fire Benning” in October on a Saturday night  national broadcast. 

5961FE9A-3480-41C4-AE1D-4A20CC9DB093.jpeg

2 minutes ago, combover said:

I don’t need to go I much rather just keep posting this picture of a guy who’s failed to deliver on 99% of what he’s said dating back to 2014 and continued to fail last summers 

from “ it doesn’t have to take ten years”

and classics like “ foundational” and “ winning environment”

to “ I don’t think we took a step backwards”

“We ran out of time” and “ in two years we should be good” 

also I’ll be chanting “fire Benning” in October on a Saturday night  national broadcast. 

5961FE9A-3480-41C4-AE1D-4A20CC9DB093.jpeg

Can you and Squamfan STFU!!!!! How f'n old are you?! The amt of posts i've seen from you two in general, especially the last 24 hours is disturbing! Negative post after negative post (plus, the same s***). Either you have some issues or you're looking for attention or both...either way, it's enough, it's sad, it's immature!! My 3 youngs kids don't even act like you two! GROW UP!!! And, go away, no one likes you here!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

This is all garbage. Benning has traded players. Many. You are making a narrative to suit yourself. 

Which expiring UFA's of consequence, besides Burrows and Hansen who really werent top players at that point and did not generate much return, has he traded at the trade deadline? 

Which UFA players has he held onto and allowed to leave for nothing in return?

Rebuilding teams dont do that to the degree Benning has. Its not a rebuild, he just called it one to fool fans who cant tell the difference.

• Cheers 1

It's always funny to hear the excuses that Benning was mandated by ownership to compete/couldn't rebuild because he had the Sedins.  If this was the case, he did a pretty &^@#ing horrible job of building a winning team.  Sackable offence every which way you look at it.

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

What is this winning culture that you are all on about?  

Don't you need to win to create a winning culture?

Teams that actually have a winning culture:

Actually win consistently at some point. Imagine that. They play with an identity and act like a team that will stand up for each other and go through a wall for each other.

Thats not this team.

GMs who build winning cultures and the fans who support them:

Don't talk about every mistake as not actually a mistake or a part of the well devised plan because of the wishy washy need for a winning culture.

Dont set the standard of succces at "We could be Buffalo! Whew thank god for our old essentially useless vets and dead cap spacd. Dodged a bullet there!"

Winning teams hold themselves to the standard set by winning franchises and the best of the best, not the perennial bottom feeders of the league.

Honestly, no one that uses it here as a catch all excuse for Benning even understands what it means to have one. And cant see that under Benning the team doesnt have one at all.

Winning culture teams dont make excuse after excuse for failed strategies. They adjust to reality.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Which expiring UFA's of consequence, besides Burrows and Hansen who really werent top players at that point and did not generate much return, has he traded at the trade deadline? 

Which UFA players has he held onto and allowed to leave for nothing in return?

Rebuilding teams dont do that to the degree Benning has. Its not a rebuild, he just called it one to fool fans who cant tell the difference.

He tried to trade Hamius (SP). In fact many people noticed how frustrated he looked when talking about it. Then, Hamuis ended up a Star. So, my guess is that Dan or the agent let it slip that he was willing to sign there and the Stars backed out and waited for free agency.

Reports stated that Edler was asked but he declined to move.

Other years he said that he looked but there were no trades to be made.

Was it Vanek that he got Motte with?

There were also a couple years were players got injured just before TDL. I remember CDC groaning as that any possible trades vanished. In fact, it happened enough that some posters attributed it to Canucks Luck.

This is just what I can think of as a quick response. 

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

He tried to trade Hamius (SP). In fact many people noticed how frustrated he looked when talking about it. Then, Hamuis ended up a Star. So, my guess is that Dan or the agent let it slip that he was willing to sign there and the Stars backed out and waited for free agency.

There were also a couple years were players got injured just before TDL. I remember CDC groaning as that any possible trades vanished. In fact, it happened enough that some posters attributed it to Canucks Luck.

*Hamhuis

Sorry, pet peeves n' stuff... like when people type Taffoli... drives me nuts.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Thats a pretty thin list. Like I said, its consistently a decision not to trade guys at the deadline because its a constant half ass retool, not a rebuild.

To retool though you need pro scouting that can identify valuable players and a GM who can acquire them at the right cost or contract.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Thats a pretty thin list. Like I said, its consistently a decision not to trade guys at the deadline because its a constant half ass retool, not a rebuild.

To retool though you need pro scouting that can identify valuable players and a GM who can acquire them at the right cost or contract.

You and the others that have been bashing Benning are losing ground in your narrative. If you all like watching planes fly around or you like to protest because the rest of the world is, that is all on you. Have fun. However, most of what you have said you have exaggerated and made into a figurative mountain. Your mountain has become a mole hill. Fight on, Fight on!

As for you and the rest who had a snarky response to the term Winning culture. Feel free to question Edler what he meant be it. VC just posted it for you and the rest to read.

6 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

You and the others that have been bashing Benning are losing ground in your narrative. If you all like watching planes fly around or you like to protest because the rest of the world is, that is all on you. Have fun. However, most of what you have said you have exaggerated and made into a figurative mountain. Your mountain has become a mole hill. Fight on, Fight on!

As for you and the rest who had a snarky response to the term Winning culture. Feel free to question Edler what he meant be it. VC just posted it for you and the rest to read.

Its not about bashing Benning. Not sure why his fans think its some personal attack on the guy.

We think - and a mountain of evidence supports - that he is pretty crappy at his job.

Edler hangs onto a top job on this team even when his skill shows he shouldnt. Thats the opposite of a winning culture. Its long been a country club of haves vs have nots in Van. They would rather lose with the familiar than change a clearly failed strategy.

2 hours ago, IRR said:

Can you and Squamfan STFU!!!!! How f'n old are you?! The amt of posts i've seen from you two in general, especially the last 24 hours is disturbing! Negative post after negative post (plus, the same s***). Either you have some issues or you're looking for attention or both...either way, it's enough, it's sad, it's immature!! My 3 youngs kids don't even act like you two! GROW UP!!! And, go away, no one likes you here!! 

You mean like repeating “ he drafts well” 

You know there’s a ignore feature right, maybe figure out how to use it if you don’t like what I have to say or if it’s to complicated ask a friend.

And yeah I’m negative jbs don’e a terrible job I won’t pile praise on a guy that’s a miserable failure. 
hes built a negative toxic dysfunctional losing environment

so you could say I’m just a product of his build.

have a great day.
And I really mean it , see I’m positive. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If you dont intend to prioritize keeping him, dont trade for him in the first place. Rebuilding teams dont rent players.

The intention was to re-sign him pre Covid. Heck it was even after, and Benning was attempting to clear cap space to do so. Toffoli (understandably, given the circumstances) decided not to wait for that to happen.

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Roussel was fine until he wasnt. Thats why you dont give 4 year deals with ntc to aging 4th liners. Too much risk they will break down before their contract ends.

First, in what world is an elite pest, two way player with borderline 2nd line production a '4th liner'?

Second, he didn't 'break down'. This isn't the case of a guy just losing speed and fast twitch muscle use with age related decline. He had a catastrophic, near career ending knee injury. 

This reimagining of facts is exactly how some of you come to think there's mountains of 'bad' outweighing the 'good'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/18/2021 at 5:50 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dont mind Jim Benning....its the slick and gross John Weisbrod that I dislike. Undermined Linden, undermined Brackett, a big part in having Laurence Gilman fired and seems to have the ownership's ear. As you heard from multiple tweets so far, that it was Weisbrod's influence to shrink down the management team.

A guy with that much power is dangerous. Frankly, Benning isn't our enemy here, its Weisbrod, absolute snake.

And you know all that how? Did you work closely with all of them? Do you realize that your bubbling is nothing more than unsubstantiated rumours?

59 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

More a case of limited, saleable assets to start with, trade clauses, bad injury luck etc. He's largely moved out players when he had realistic opportunity to do so. We just haven't had a lot of opportunity. Only a small fraction of that is his own doing.

37 minutes ago, combover said:

You mean like repeating “ he drafts well” 

You know there’s a ignore feature right, maybe figure out how to use it if you don’t like what I have to say or if it’s to complicated ask a friend.

And yeah I’m negative jbs don’e a terrible job I won’t pile praise on a guy that’s a miserable failure. 
hes built a negative toxic dysfunctional losing environment

so you could say I’m just a product of his build.

have a great day.
And I really mean it , see I’m positive. 

Or you can do as i and sooo many others have asked!

On 5/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, Laoag said:

more money than if fans don't show up at the arena and don't buy merchandise? 

that's for both NHL and AHL teams by the way...

You are overestimating the buying power of the idiots that are loudly against Benning and Aquilini. Just because someone here yells "I'm long time season ticket holder and will cancel my season tickets now!" doesn't make it a fact.