The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 5/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, The Vancouver Connection said:

JUST SENT MY TICKET CANCELLATION IF BENNING AND WEISBROD RETURN, BUYING KRAKEN TICKETS LETS GO BABY, LETS GO KRAKEN

Can you please post the proof of your cancellation request?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The intention was to re-sign him pre Covid. Heck it was even after, and Benning was attempting to clear cap space to do so. Toffoli (understandably, given the circumstances) decided not to wait for that to happen.

First, in what world is an elite pest, two way player with borderline 2nd line production a '4th liner'?

Second, he didn't 'break down'. This isn't the case of a guy just losing speed and fast twitch muscle use with age related decline. He had a catastrophic, near career ending knee injury. 

This reimagining of facts is exactly how some of you come to think there's mountains of 'bad' outweighing the 'good'.

He had literally months to clear cap. If his contracts werent terrible, then why cant he ever trade them? Other teams seem to manage just fine. Part of the problem is he thinks those players have actual trade value and wont move on from them as the cap dumps they are. He was too busy chasing OEL and had allocated that cap space to the point of not offering his own UFA's contracts prior to the start of free agency. Sorry, there is no excuse other than self made cap problems, procrastinating, and an inability to contingency plan to blame. It wasnt covid. He had the cap space available and wasted it on Virtanen and Holtby.

Roussel was a good player but not elite, sorry to tell you. Not sure if you ever watched him prior to him coming to Van but he was a 4th liner in Dallas who punched up sometimes. He wasnt a consistent 2nd line level producer bud.

If Roussel suffered a near career threatening injury that makes him unable to play, then do what every other team seems to do and shut him down on permanent ltir.

You should take a look at how good teams manage their cap and fill out their roster. If you think Eriksson is the only mistake Benning has made in that regard, then there is no way you will be able to be objective about Benning.

The worst mistakes are the cumulative ones that chip away at your cap. 

Players getting injured is part of hockey. Its why smart GMs dont give out a whole bunch of multi year, over market value with ntc year contracts to middling aging vets.

Are his bad contracts finally starting to come off the books? Sure, but that doesnt absolve him of the original mistakes. And god help us if he repeats them this year and next. I personally think he will. And it will be funny watching his fans twist into pretzels to defend it.

19 minutes ago, RomanP said:

You are overestimating the buying power of the idiots that are loudly against Benning and Aquilini. Just because someone here yells "I'm long time season ticket holder and will cancel my season tickets now!" doesn't make it a fact.

Or what effect a small but vocal portion of the fan base 'cancelling' will actually have on the bottom line.

Particularly when the team starts winning again next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

how-to-white-wash-2.png

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The intention was to re-sign him pre Covid. Heck it was even after, and Benning was attempting to clear cap space to do so. Toffoli (understandably, given the circumstances) decided not to wait for that to happen.

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

More a case of limited, saleable assets to start with, trade clauses, bad injury luck etc. He's largely moved out players when he had realistic opportunity to do so. We just haven't had a lot of opportunity. Only a small fraction of that is his own doing.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Or what effect a small but vocal portion of the fan base 'cancelling' will actually have on the bottom line.

Particularly when the team starts winning again next season.

Well we can see how small this portion of the fanbase is come ticket sales time.

Again, the dissatisfied customer that kills the business is not the one that posts complaints all the time on instagram, but the ones that just don't bother to complain about somthing they don't control and just walks away quietly.

20 minutes ago, RomanP said:

I thought I was pretty clear that "I sense". I didn't claim it to be a fact.

Fair enough.

20 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Besides, you should probably ask for evidence from people claiming Weisbrod doing all the bad things attributed to him.

Well, that's not what my post was responding to. It was responding to your assumption or "sense" that people don't like Weisbrod because he's Jewish. If you'd like those who don't like Weisbrod or his work to explain their reasoning, I'd suggest you get on asking them those questions. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough.

Well, that's not what my post was responding to. It was responding to your assumption or "sense" that people don't like Weisbrod because he's Jewish. If you'd like those who don't like Weisbrod or his work to explain their reasoning, I'd suggest you get on asking them those questions. 

I asked on another reply.

23 minutes ago, Grape said:

I'm not sure why you're surprised somebody doesn't know if a name is Jewish or not. 

I don't think being able to know Jewish names is supposed to be common knowledge.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a majority of fans had no idea that he is Jewish.

I had no idea. Nor did I think it was a factor in anything regarding the man. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He had literally months to clear cap. If his contracts werent terrible, then why cant he ever trade them? Other teams seem to manage just fine. Part of the problem is he thinks those players have actual trade value and wont move on from them as the cap dumps they are.

Not really. Roster freeze, league shut down, play ins/offs, a lack of clarity on what this season was going to be, what the cap situation was etc. There were very few other 'cap clearing' moves in reality.

He was too busy chasing OEL and had allocated that cap space to the point of not offering his own UFA's contracts prior to the start of free agency.

OEL or otherwise and I don't think we're offering contracts before free agency. Too many other balls in the air and we were clearly looking for moves to improve the roster (Schmidt) vs remaining static (signing older, injury prone Tanev to a handcuffing contract with term). It's a fun story you're spining but given the time passed between our final offer and guys signing... Doesn't really play out in reality.

Sorry, there is no excuse other than self made cap problems, procrastinating, and an inability to contingency plan to blame. It wasnt covid. He had the cap space available and wasted it on Virtanen and Holtby.

Virtanen is unfortunate. He was certainly the fall back/contingent for not being able to retain Toffoli. Shame we didn't simply move him last year (particularly with the hindsight of both his play this season and alleged criminal issues).

Zero issue with Holtby.

Roussel was a good player but not elite, sorry to tell you. Not sure if you ever watched him prior to him coming to Van but he was a 4th liner in Dallas who punched up sometimes. He wasnt a consistent 2nd line level producer bud.

I said elite pest. He's not MacKinnon. I watched him plenty. Prior to his knee injury in both Dallas and here, he was an exceedingly good third liner with borderline, 2nd line production. Stop straw manning... Nobody called him a consistent 2nd line producer. 

If Roussel suffered a near career threatening injury that makes him unable to play, then do what every other team seems to do and shut him down on permanent ltir.

He wasn't 'unable', he was just unfortunately nowhere near his previous ability. He might be there now after appearing to re-injure.

You should take a look at how good teams manage their cap and fill out their roster. If you think Eriksson is the only mistake Benning has made in that regard, then there is no way you will be able to be objective about Benning.

*Meaningful. I have no issues pointing out miscues, errors or mistakes. Eriksson is the only meaningful issue. If you think other teams don't have rosters littered with players underperforming due to injury (or otherwise), or marginally 'overpaid', you're the one not being objective.

Players getting injured is part of hockey. Its why smart GMs dont give out a whole bunch of multi year, over market value with ntc year contracts to middling aging vets.

But they do. All over the league. Every year. And players get hurt, underperform etc. Every year.

Are his bad contracts finally starting to come off the books? Sure, but that doesnt absolve him of the original mistakes. And god help us if he repeats them this year and next. I personally think he will. And it will be funny watching his fans twist into pretzels to defend it.

Injuries aren't mistakes. Slight overpayments for key positions aren't 'bad contracts'.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He had literally months to clear cap. If his contracts werent terrible, then why cant he ever trade them? Other teams seem to manage just fine. Part of the problem is he thinks those players have actual trade value and wont move on from them as the cap dumps they are. He was too busy chasing OEL and had allocated that cap space to the point of not offering his own UFA's contracts prior to the start of free agency. Sorry, there is no excuse other than self made cap problems, procrastinating, and an inability to contingency plan to blame. It wasnt covid. He had the cap space available and wasted it on Virtanen and Holtby.

The worst mistakes are the cumulative ones that chip away at your cap. 

Very well said.  And yes, the mental gymnastics on this site are Olympic medal worthy at times lol.  I think it's an odd combination of Stockholm Syndrome and cognitive dissonance.  They are so deeply entrenched in defending him that he can do no wrong at this point.  If he traded Petterson for Gudbranson next month stating that the reason the team hasn't done well of late is due to missing Gudbranson in the room the usual suspects be vociferously and aggressively repeating this.  

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not really. Roster freeze, league shut down, play ins/offs, a lack of clarity on what this season was going to be, what the cap situation was etc. There were very few other 'cap clearing' moves in reality.

OEL or otherwise and I don't think we're offering contracts before free agency. Too many other balls in the air and we were clearly looking for moves to improve the roster (Schmidt) vs remaining static (signing older, injury prone Tanev to a handcuffing contract with term). It's a fun story you're spining but given the time passed between our final offer and guys signing... Doesn't really play out in reality.

Virtanen is unfortunate. He was certainly the fall back/contingent for not being able to retain Toffoli. Shame we didn't simply move him last year (particularly with the hindsight of both his play this season and alleged criminal issues).

Zero issue with Holtby.

I said elite pest. He's not MacKinnon. I watched him plenty. Prior to his knee injury in both Dallas and here, he was an exceedingly good third liner with borderline, 2nd line production. Stop straw manning... Nobody called him a consistent 2nd line producer. 

He wasn't 'unable', he was just unfortunately nowhere near his previous ability. He might be there now after appearing to re-injure.

*Meaningful. I have no issues pointing out miscues, errors or mistakes. Eriksson is the only meaningful issue. If you think other teams don't have rosters littered with players underperforming due to injury (or otherwise), or marginally 'overpaid', you're the one not being objective.

But they do. All over the league. Every year. And players get hurt, underperform etc. Every year.

Injuries aren't mistakes. Slight overpayments for key positions aren't 'bad contracts'.

So, Benning was uncertain of the cap situation and all these other factors to the point where it was prudent to not even talk to his own UFA players or offer them deals at all but trying to trade actual assets for OEL and his much worse anchor contract would not be subject to that same "fear of uncertainty"?

Sorry bud, you dont get to have that one both ways.

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So, Benning was uncertain of the cap situation and all these other factors to the point where it was prudent to not even talk to his own UFA players or offer them deals at all but trying to trade actual assets for OEL and his much worse anchor contract would not be subject to that same "fear of uncertainty"?

Sorry bud, you dont get to have that one both ways.

Not tendering them offers =\= not talking to his UFA's.

OEL would have been part of the attempting to improve/not remain static. You nor I have any idea what was going back to Arizona to even critique any potential deal.

I thought you were going to stop calling people 'bud', pal?:P

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, IRR said:

Or you can do as i and sooo many others have asked!

So if myself and others find you and your comments bothersome and we ask you to not speak your opinion on a public discussion forum  you would? 
huh

you disagree with my take on things I’m all good with that. When people post over and over how he’s doing a great job and his drafting good I don’t ask them not to speak because it’s false in my mind.

please just ignore me if you don’t like it  I have thick old leathery skin it won’t offend me. And I have zero intention of not posting that I feel this club has been mismanaged for a long time 

and the only reason Jb is still here is because if his contract and the term remaining.. 

Last I check they called this a discussion board I know a lot of people on here wish it was just a pro jB agreeing board but it isn’t and until then.

ignore or be irritated with people speaking there minds. 

You asked my age my user name should be a indicator. ::D

Edited by combover
  • Vintage 1