The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, Dirtman said:

I wonder what MacEwen's ceiling is. I hope we hang onto him.

Don't think coach Green is going to give him a chance to prove what he can do, gets benched for fighting just like Gadjovich. Mac has the speed and size, will never be a bowling ball crushing players ever shift but he seems like a cheaper contract player that is worth keeping around in the short term anyway. We need a coach that will give Canuck prospect or young UFA signings a chance vs waiver wire fodder or low end trade returns that get top 9 or even top 6 minutes proving zip as a whole for the Canucks but instantly getting ice time over others like Jake or Mac for instance. But, it is what it is as we have the same regime coming back so don't expect any real changes to the style of hockey we play, expect a $&!# ton of shots against and poor D play as per usual

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I’d have to agree. Although I’d still consider Mac a young player. Really like Graovac as a player and person. He has great interviews. He’s done his time, I think he deserves a regular spot in the line-up. At the very least the extra forward 

Graovac has more NHL experience than Mac. Both have size and speed. Mac is more physical. There is a role for both. Highmore and Myott also. I would resign Sutter for 1-2 years but I also think he will have better offers. Perhaps longer term for him if he doesn’t have trade protection. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Don't think coach Green is going to give him a chance to prove what he can do, gets benched for fighting just like Gadjovich. Mac has the speed and size, will never be a bowling ball crushing players ever shift but he seems like a cheaper contract player that is worth keeping around in the short term anyway. We need a coach that will give Canuck prospect or young UFA signings a chance vs waiver wire fodder or low end trade returns that get top 9 or even top 6 minutes proving zip as a whole for the Canucks but instantly getting ice time over others like Jake or Mac for instance. But, it is what it is as we have the same regime coming back so don't expect any real changes to the style of hockey we play, expect a $&!# ton of shots against and poor D play as per usual

macewen is one of the "23-24 year old" players specifically called out by benning for not stepping into a bigger role this year. he took ownership for putting faith in those guys stepping up this year and they let him down. macewen, virtanen, gaudette, and juolevi I think were the direct targets of that criticism. 

Edited by tas

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

did he call out Mac? I read that as being all about Jake and Gaudette, both of which Jim said last year he expected more from. Not sure Mac is viewed outside of a 4th line role. 

macewen was talked up big time last year as a guy who was ready to be an everyday player who can help the club win, but if anything he took a step back. I definitely put him in that group of disappointment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

macewen was talked up big time last year as a guy who was ready to be an everyday player who can help the club win, but if anything he took a step back. I definitely put him in that group of disappointment. 

I agree about Big Mac.  He’s not naturally a mean guy, and needs to play that role to be a useful player.  He just isn’t that kind of guy.  OJ is a very young player, and still developing.  I don’t think Benning was including him.  

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

could be. I don't see him sharing the same box of shame as Jake and Gaud's.  I think you have throw away the post-covid games, sounds like he was hit pretty hard. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree about Big Mac.  He’s not naturally a mean guy, and needs to play that role to be a useful player.  He just isn’t that kind of guy.  OJ is a very young player, and still developing.  I don’t think Benning was including him.  

maybe oj is exempt, but as a 23 year old who didn't step up and whose weaknesses (getting turnstiled all night long) haven't seen any improvement, I think he's lumped in there. 

Just now, tas said:

maybe oj is exempt, but as a 23 year old who didn't step up and whose weaknesses (getting turnstiled all night long) haven't seen any improvement, I think he's lumped in there. 

OJ, although struggling with his pivot, is still developing both physically and as a player.  I see a lot of good in his game.  He’s really smart, and makes an excellent first pass.  For sure he needs to improve though, which I believe he will.  He had injuries that effected his nerve pathways, which take a long time to heal.  Plus, we know he’s got the character to work hard to become better.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I am starting to question whether OJ is physically big enough to be a top 4 dman. To an extent he is on a bigger bubble than at the beginning of the season as Rathbone has had a strong debut. Rathbone isn’t any bigger but his offence and skating is superior and his physical battle as good as OJ. I would like to think both could be on the team. They both make a Edler resigning less likely with any term. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ, although struggling with his pivot, is still developing both physically and as a player.  I see a lot of good in his game.  He’s really smart, and makes an excellent first pass.  For sure he needs to improve though, which I believe he will.  He had injuries that effected his nerve pathways, which take a long time to heal.  Plus, we know he’s got the character to work hard to become better.  

hey, don't get me wrong, I like the guy just fine. the high points of his game are great, and even if he were to never play another nhl game I'd still rather have drafted him than have to look at matt tkachuk wearing blue and green every second night, but at the end of the day, if olli can't figure out how to pivot and retreat properly, he won't have an nhl career. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am starting to question whether OJ is physically big enough to be a top 4 dman. To an extent he is on a bigger bubble than at the beginning of the season as Rathbone has had a strong debut. Rathbone isn’t any bigger but his offence and skating is superior and his physical battle as good as OJ. I would like to think both could be on the team. They both make a Edler resigning less likely with any term. 

Isn’t OJ 6’3” and over 200?  He’s still maturing, and will fill out more.  He just needs to completely recover from the nerve damage to his lower back.  He’s a guy that could be very good, if he fully recovers.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Isn’t OJ 6’3” and over 200?  He’s still maturing, and will fill out more.  He just needs to completely recover from the nerve damage to his lower back.  He’s a guy that could be very good, if he fully recovers.  

I am probably wrong but he doesn’t look that big to me. I have no argument over his developing skills. If your size stats are accurate then my concern doesn’t amount to anything. Watching the Jets shutdown the Oilers last night I was struck by their 

size and speed. Lowry has his d-core playing a very superior game. The whole team is doing so. Very impressed by their puck support all over the 200’. They are a big team and IMHO that counts a lot in Cup play more so than regular season.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Jim Benning and crew with the pick 9-11 will draft another top 5 pick again.  

How so.   They certainly have developed a reputation for that.   BB, EP, QHs all go a lot closer to first then where they were picked.   Podz has a pretty solid chance of joining them too.   McAan was also a solid pick, as was Forsling, as was Tree so get why folks can get frustrated revisioning.   Sure CAL isn't too happy to see Bennet doing his thing right now in Florida either - it happens.   Demko was gold.    A lot to be happy with given the core so far, and still work to do and they for sure know that.   Need a long term Edler or Tanev replacement still a chance OJ can make it, we need him or Rathbone and hopefully Woo plus whomever we pick this year to complete the D.    Trades at this point also make sense but a blue chip trade.   Bottom six should sort itself out too. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am probably wrong but he doesn’t look that big to me. I have no argument over his developing skills. If your size stats are accurate then my concern doesn’t amount to anything. Watching the Jets shutdown the Oilers last night I was struck by their 

size and speed. Lowry has his d-core playing a very superior game. The whole team is doing so. Very impressed by their puck support all over the 200’. They are a big team and IMHO that counts a lot in Cup play more so than regular season.

Yes it does.   It's why Vegas is so good too.   I felt we matched up well to MIN and St. Louis, both solid defensive teams especially MIN though.    Also feel we'd match up well against TO.   But not the heavy teams like WNP and Vegas we simply can't match up (yet). 

OJ is tall and lean.   Didn't find he was a push over and battled fine, his games is actually very safe like Tanev's.   Pretty sure he's a lock next year.    IF we go with Rathbone and QHs our right side needs to be big and mean.   Hamonic is fine, Myers too, need one more, but beastly.    Do think both Rathbone and QHs is redundant and the team needs make a trade there. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yes it does.   It's why Vegas is so good too.   I felt we matched up well to MIN and St. Louis, both solid defensive teams especially MIN though.    Also feel we'd match up well against TO.   But not the heavy teams like WNP and Vegas we simply can't match up (yet). 

OJ is tall and lean.   Didn't find he was a push over and battled fine, his games is actually very safe like Tanev's.   Pretty sure he's a lock next year.    IF we go with Rathbone and QHs our right side needs to be big and mean.   Hamonic is fine, Myers too, need one more, but beastly.    Do think both Rathbone and QHs is redundant and the team needs make a trade there. 

Agreed up to trading Rathbone.  Hughes and Bone are both great at making us play faster.  We need that.  If any D man is moved out for a younger RSD it just might be Schmidt.  

Hughes Hamonic

Bone Myers

OJ (Schmidt trade return)

Edler (if we resign him will be in for OJ) 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Im no expert but the way i see things the team is on a build up. Guys in the system like Mac, Highmore, Motte, Lind, Lockwood and Gadjovich will be introduced to the line up over the next two seasons to replace Beagle ($3M) Roussel ($3M), Virtanen ($2.55M), Sutter ($4.375). The past history of paying overs for the bottom six is being addressed, its not an instant fix but the process in well underway. i am not suggesting the players i mentioned above are directly replacing the veterans but they will be working towards that goal, allowing for more dollars available to be spent on the top 6 or defence.

I personally am ok with this and am willing to see perseverance by management. I think there is a lot to look forward to, I just dont think I can get onboard with any more contracts for overpaid bottom six players, I feel the team in general is past that stage. We have enough young talent that have taken control and are ready to lead the team to success, Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser , Hughes and Demko are leaders and excel at what they do. Surrounded by other vets which we already have.

I feel positive in what Jim is doing and excited about next year

Certainly agree. I have mentioned it before. The overpaid contract guys are coming off the books as our prospects are getting ready to take over those roles. A sanding and polishing part of the rebuild. There is purpose and direction that those who only see negative cannot see.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I thought Vegas was weak mentally. I still think that if the BLM protest had not forced that game to be cancelled, we had a very good chance of winning that series. That little break allowed them to focus and come back. You can tell how they faltered after being Demko'd