The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im pretty sure loui hates our organization and wont do a damn thing to help it lol

Perhaps, but he will have something to really hate about them if he has to play his final year in Abby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Perhaps, but he will have something to really hate about them if he has to play his final year in Abby.

Why? Gets to play hockey still and will get paid 3 mill. He knows he has 1 year left to make his money might as well enjoy it while you can:lol:

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why? Gets to play hockey still and will get paid 3 mill. He knows he has 1 year left to make his money might as well enjoy it while you can:lol:

Whatever, but at least he'll have to work it off rather than be bought out.

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think loui could play in the shl for this season. He would lose some money but would play. The other part of it is he is 36 years old and says ill sit in abbottsford for 3 mill and call it a career. I just hope a part of him would feel for the players in the room and go the shl route. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This offseason will show clearly what Benning has learned.

I just dont see a bunch more young players in significant roles next year. I think he will try to ufa sign his way to the playoffs next year. No way he trusts both Rathbone and Juolevi in the lineup. No way the bottom 6 has guys like Lind or Gads in full time.

Just based on his 1 year focus of making the playoffs and the lack of significant playing time those players got in their auditions, I struggle to see him not signing a bunch of Beagke, Roussel, Sutter, Schaller types instead.

I hope I am wrong.

Can say, unless he has unlimited buyouts and AF is willing to do that (which is foolish for a lot of them but not JV think that's almost a given) it's the only way he'd free up enough money to do that.   The quote i'm using is from last off-season (where the pool is getting to the point where the team won't have to rely on free agents anymore), and during this year we saw Chatfield (7th D at best),  OJ (potential to make the bottom pairing),  Rathbone (the same - also opportunity for a trade), Lind, Gads and Hogs.    Not much else really ready to look at other then more then one game of Rafferty and Gads.   And of course Podz.    So yes we will see more of Groavoac, Boyd  Highmore, Vessey types but not all will be back either.    And they aren't expensive, and won't get term deals if any at all. 

He said he'd be looking at all avenues to improve the team.   Last off - season it was Schmidt, a solid trade and more of what he didn't do then what he actually did.    Remember these guys need to be replaced too (Sutter, maybe Beagle, Edler). 

I just don't see the cap space for three or four UFAs coming in - at 4.25 like Sutter, or 3 like Beagle.    So don't think you need to worry about it.   And doubt AF is willing to open his wallet on buyouts just to add one more.   The days of AR, Sutter, Beagles, etc are almost done.    I'm more worried about what that means for the team, if they truly are ready for it.    Still some holes to deal with.    And given the rebuild didn't start until 2017 i can live with that timeframe.   

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah unfortunately it might be the worst signing in canucks history. Real kick in the you know where.

That really had no impact on the course of this team at this time

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He has drafted high but only because his retool approach has failed year after year and the team has sucked.

His trades on the whole have been garbage. He bleeds value in almost every trade. Miller was good, but did still cost him a 1st and a 3rd to a team that needed to move cap to sign Point. Same with Schmidt. Good value but cap relief trade.

My point is he should have used the same approach filling out his bottom 6 and adding assets in the process. I hate the term weaponizing cap space but the idea is correct. Instead of trading for Sutter, etc or signing bottom 6 guys, he should have used that approach.

Sutter came as a FA, the only mistake Benning made on that deal was calling him a cornerstone piece or something along those lines. Before he came here he was injury free, and did produce on the scoresheet. Same with Loui. Vrbata was a huge steal for a one year contract. Miller was a fabulous pick up for this team, and is only going to grow more with the roster. Hindsight is fantastic, but, until these kids actually play the games you never know. 

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Sutter came as a FA, the only mistake Benning made on that deal was calling him a cornerstone piece or something along those lines. Before he came here he was injury free, and did produce on the scoresheet. Same with Loui. Vrbata was a huge steal for a one year contract. Miller was a fabulous pick up for this team, and is only going to grow more with the roster. Hindsight is fantastic, but, until these kids actually play the games you never know. 

Benning traded Bonino, Clendening (who he had recently traded Forsling for), and a 2nd for Sutter and a 3rd. The 3rd became Lockwood. Then he re-signed Sutter to his current deal. So on Sutter he essentially &^@#ed up twice.

Eriksson was overrated by Benning for awhile. And he was used very specifically his last year in boston. 

Vrbata had a 2 year deal iirc.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

After his bonus, he will be owed 3m for his season salary.  He can play it off in Abby or walk away from the Canucks.  His residence will have had a remarkable hike in value since he bought it, so will probably make up his salary in selling it along with his new contract in the SHL.  He won't be playing in Vancouver again, that's for sure.

At this point, I think Loui owes the team manage (for their patience and goodwill) and take the golden handshake.  He would  gain a lot of respect along the way.

He’s also a part owner of a restaurant chain in Sweden that was doing badly because of COVID , pretty sure he takes the 3 million so he has the money in his retirement pot, seeing as his other investment doesn’t look ton stable 

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

How did it really impact anything in the long run?

You dont think we coulda used that money elsewhere or on different players? Even on toffoli? How is 6 million on one player that literally doesnt even play for the team  not impacting it?

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We didn't have the cap space to sign Toffoli, that is because the 5 million increase in the cap that the Canucks were expecting when they traded for Toffoli, vanished with Covid. All teams felt the crunch and will continue to for at least another 2 years.

Other teams were able to sign players to good deals due to the pandemic. If anything covid allowed teams to gain the leverage on last seasons UFA 

Plus if the cap did go up the Free Agents would have signed for more. 

16 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

F Tofolli.

He's a Hab. I'll enjoy their games.  Does not mean I will cheer for them.  If he wanted tp sign here? Really wanted... It woulda happened before UFA D day. 

Well, like I said, it's not so much about Toffoli himself it's how the organization sees value and how they manage the cap. 

You can't tell me 3 to 4 million with term for 4th line players or bottom 6 players but can't seem to pay 4.25 for a top 6 is good decision making and management?

Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle and Sutter all combined 22 pts (I think) this season with a cap of around $16 million. I can't imagine picking that over a player that had 44 pts with a $ 4.25 million cap 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

You dont think we coulda used that money elsewhere or on different players? Even on toffoli? How is 6 million on one player that literally doesnt even play for the team  not impacting it?

Sure, they could used that $ to sign other vet UFA's, but its made no difference in the log term development of the young core.  In fact, signing someone else with that $ might have made them a better team in the short term and might have missed out on Hughes, Pidz, top 10 this year 

Ultimately, the LE contract will have no meaningful impact on the development timeline of the emerging core of players.

40 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Other teams were able to sign players to good deals due to the pandemic. If anything covid allowed teams to gain the leverage on last seasons UFA 

Plus if the cap did go up the Free Agents would have signed for more. 

No one is saying he didn't get burned, he did.  But you can't expect him to plan for anything but the projected rise of the cap.  They had a very clear plan with their cap management and covid blew it to bits, no one could see that coming.  In the end it actually worked out very well as this season is completely meaningless and they got a top ten pick they likely wouldn't have otherwise.

17 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The Canucks are one of those teams that spend to the Cap. If they didn't many of you would be saying, they could have signed this and that guy for whatever $$$$ is left. I believe the Cap was heading close to $86M prior to the pandemic.

Not only this anticipated increase but all teams knew that Bettman was crafting a new broadcast deal with American TV. The new deal will eventually see another $5 mil per team. How quickly that impacts the CAP limit only Covid knows.   

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we agree mostly.  I don’t think the young guys coming up will all be coming in this year. They will be arriving in support roles over the next few years, when they are more physically able to compete.

i see Pods, Bone and Lockwood next year, and OJ and Gads the next after that.  It’s a process of these guys coming in on their 

ELCs and contributing to support the core while on those ELCs.  There are other prospects too, like Woo.  With our young core, we should be able to have sustained winning, if the draft picks produce one or two support players each couple years.  

I think the relocation of the AHL team is a clear indication of where the Canuck organization see the development curve. Hopefully there will be a regular shuttle between Abby and Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1