The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think the relocation of the AHL team is a clear indication of where the Canuck organization see the development curve. Hopefully there will be a regular shuttle between Abby and Vancouver.

Good point about having the prospects here so close.  Coaching crossover, and easy to bring up.  We will see several guys each year getting a good chance to supplant a regular, especially in those high energy, lower minute roles.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sure, they could used that $ to sign other vet UFA's, but its made no difference in the log term development of the young core.  In fact, signing someone else with that $ might have made them a better team in the short term and might have missed out on Hughes, Pidz, top 10 this year 

Ultimately, the LE contract will have no meaningful impact on the development timeline of the emerging core of players.

Exactly, it certainly hasn't been great and you can label it as a mistake if you have to or whatever but it's not like this doesn't happen consistently around the league. As you point out it hasn't bottle necked us from signing great players or anything. Sure we could have used Tofolli in this crap season and probably this year coming up but the following year we can probably afford a better player of have one of our youngsters playing in the top 6 anyway. So it hasn't crippled us or anything or thrown a huge wrench in our plans. We have a bit of maneuvering and patience to deal with but that's hockey. I'm also very curious about next year for Tofolli. My gut tells me he's back to around <20 goals 45 points.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Other teams were able to sign players to good deals due to the pandemic. If anything covid allowed teams to gain the leverage on last seasons UFA 

Plus if the cap did go up the Free Agents would have signed for more. 

So did we with Hamonic.   TT is a RW.   Would be nice to have been able to fit him in, didn't happen the team went with the younger cheaper option in JV and yes we all are aware of how that worked out.  Hogs plays that side too,  if you do the math who is actually cheaper?  Podz does too.   If we signed TT the 10-15 extra goals then whomever would take that position still wouldn't likely have meant a lot of difference in making the show  - maybe yes - maybe no.   I'd rather see how Podz manages with Hogs ...and i'm certain a the two of their cap hits will help the team too. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

He’s also a part owner of a restaurant chain in Sweden that was doing badly because of COVID , pretty sure he takes the 3 million so he has the money in his retirement pot, seeing as his other investment doesn’t look ton stable 

I guess the $30M he has in the bank for his unremarkable performances over the past 5 years just isn't enough to hold him over.  Wonder if he'll play well in the AHL next season.  Doubt we will see $3M worth of performance.  Really hope some of the more vial Nuck fans don't start a heckling campaign in Abby.  I would really hate that, but it's a strong possibility with that crowd.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I guess the $30M he has in the bank for his unremarkable performances over the past 5 years just isn't enough to hold him over.  Wonder if he'll play well in the AHL next season.  Doubt we will see $3M worth of performance.  Really hope some of the more vial Nuck fans don't start a heckling campaign in Abby.  I would really hate that, but it's a strong possibility with that crowd.

That’s 30 mill pre tax, and you have to remember that sports players often have that money they have earnt to last them, add in a investment gone bad and yes it’s more than a lot would ever earn but it’s not as lavish as some would believe 

4 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

That’s 30 mill pre tax, and you have to remember that sports players often have that money they have earnt to last them, add in a investment gone bad and yes it’s more than a lot would ever earn but it’s not as lavish as some would believe 

Please send the money my way.  I will find a good way to make it last for the rest of my life.  When these players get big bucks they think they can make even more with 'risky' investments.  NHL and lesser pro leagues need to offer financial planning, insurance, etc to up and coming players.  COVID hurt everyone regardless of the income they had guaranteed (athletes, etc).  Look at the poor people across the country that have lost their whole life's work because of shut downs.

9 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

No it's not as much as it sounds like after taxes, escrow, agent fees etc.

And believe me, I'm not one of those 'players are overpaid' people.They work bloody hard to be the primary source of entertainment in their given profession. I have a lot more sympathy for them than the billionaire owners for example.

That said, someone could live quite comfortably (not lavishly) with $5m in the bank and well invested and never work again. That shouldn't be hard for Loui to manage.

I personally would have a hell of a hard time collecting that pay cheque for what he's actually contributed the last 5 years. But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Huh? You folks go on about how hard done by Jake is from the coaches not playing him, then don't re-up him. I don't understand.

Not me I always thought he  was a wasted pick and IMO it's just a matter of time before he's gone. It would be nice if there's a legal way of getting him off the books saving cap space and buy out

Just curious, what wad the point of acquiring Bowey when he wasn't gonna be given games at all?? I mean the last 5-6 games were mean-nothing and perfect opportunity for youngsters to show if they belong.... Oh well,  maybe JB and Green don't necessarily agree on things... 

4 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Just curious, what wad the point of acquiring Bowey when he wasn't gonna be given games at all?? I mean the last 5-6 games were mean-nothing and perfect opportunity for youngsters to show if they belong.... Oh well,  maybe JB and Green don't necessarily agree on things... 

He's needed to give us flexibility regarding the expansion draft as he can be exposed, so probably that was the major reason for trading for him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J-P said:

He's needed to give us flexibility regarding the expansion draft as he can be exposed, so probably that was the major reason for trading for him.

Alright... So it wasn't so much about adding depth as Green had zero interest in playing him. I thought the boy got some offensive skill... 

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Alright... So it wasn't so much about adding depth as Green had zero interest in playing him. I thought the boy got some offensive skill... 

I like Bowey, and hope Seattle doesn’t take him.  He’s big, and skates good.  Tough too.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Bowey, and hope Seattle doesn’t take him.  He’s big, and skates good.  Tough too.  

I really like him too---at least on paper.  I just have to question why he hasn't been able to hold down even a bottom pairing spot in the NHL yet.  I really wish we had gotten a chance to see him play here, to get a better sense of that!

3 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I really like him too---at least on paper.  I just have to question why he hasn't been able to hold down even a bottom pairing spot in the NHL yet.  I really wish we had gotten a chance to see him play here, to get a better sense of that!

I don’t know for sure, but suspect it’s he is in that Jake group, and lacks hockey smarts.  The game is so fast that even guys with really good skating need to make fast reads.  Hopefully he figures it out, and the games slows down for him.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Not me I always thought he  was a wasted pick and IMO it's just a matter of time before he's gone. It would be nice if there's a legal way of getting him off the books saving cap space and buy out

Buyout is cash from the owners pocket and .5 stays on the books.   Any easy way to save to re-up Hamonic. 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Buyout is cash from the owners pocket and .5 stays on the books.   Any easy way to save to re-up Hamonic. 

Yup. You can scratch Jake and add Hamonic (or another UFA d) with the cap space. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

Benning was pretty clear that going with more young players next year is probably not within the aggressive trade and ufa approach he is saying is the plan?

This year the Force Cap is just not with us to be aggressive. No bucks in the wallet.

Not a bad thing.  We have not been able to just spend our way to competitiveness. A model which did not work for the Rangers, or Leafs, or others for 20 year stretches...  Nor has Benning been great (LOL) at veteran spend.

But our team has its young core emerging.  That is us, our identity!  I am in the camp that says we underperformed this year. Will rebound. Not that it was a bad GM.

Look for more Hamonic style signings.  Perhaps what we should have been doing all along!   

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well.... If he's not taken at the expansion draft, let's hope Green would at least give him a fair chance at training camp! I'd give him benefit of the doubt that he was having a different competition at Washington/Chicago... 

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

So did we with Hamonic.   TT is a RW.   Would be nice to have been able to fit him in, didn't happen the team went with the younger cheaper option in JV and yes we all are aware of how that worked out.  Hogs plays that side too,  if you do the math who is actually cheaper?  Podz does too.   If we signed TT the 10-15 extra goals then whomever would take that position still wouldn't likely have meant a lot of difference in making the show  - maybe yes - maybe no.   I'd rather see how Podz manages with Hogs ...and i'm certain a the two of their cap hits will help the team too. 

I keep forgetting Hamonic because he was signed long after the Free Agent frenzy that season. Yes Hamonic was a pretty good pick up but The Canucks were lacking in depth and the team had a golden opportunity to address both their problem in D and Forwards. 

As for Toffoli being less of a need the team still needs depth and most Cup winning teams have 3 scoring lines and Toffoli's 4 year contract would have both a good medium term fix and allowed flexibility once his contract is up. 

Problem is now Benning probably needs to address this same problem in the next few off seasons and who knows if a deal that Toffoli got would be available to make.

As for Podkolzin we all high hopes for him but he hasn't even played a single NHL game yet. He might not even start as a Top 6 and might be a bottom 6 guy first before making it a a Top 6. Also his KHL numbers are not that impressive either and, while his game might translate better in the NHL, we won't know how he will pan out in the NHL level.