The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of course it mattered. No one saw Loui falling off a cliff like he did, not even you. 

Would I have predicted the drop-off being as hard and sudden as it was? No.

Would I have signed that contract if I was the GM? Not a chance, and that's not hindsight. That's how I felt on day 1.

24 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Would I have predicted the drop-off being as hard and sudden as it was? No.

Would I have signed that contract if I was the GM? Not a chance, and that's not hindsight. That's how I felt on day 1.

well then you were in the minority on that one. There was a good case to make that he'd fit with the Sedins, it wasn't out of his arse. 

But this is all just re-hash. It is what it is, the endless raking over this stuff is tiresome, and thankfully soon to be over. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, thats a tied line already. Rentals walk all the time. 

Wonder how many years it will take folks to let it go.  During our goalie graveyard phase we had Beezer for a day and Sean Burke for a few games too... Geoff Sanderson.  It's not the first time a good player has come and gone in a flash.   TT ... the one who got away just makes me laugh. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well then you were in the minority on that one. There was a good case to make that he'd fit with the Sedins, it wasn't out of his arse. 

But this is all just re-hash. It is what it is, the endless raking over this stuff is tiresome, and thankfully soon to be over. 

Yes it will.   

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Next year i hope we finish second in our division.  Doubtful but it is also possible.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of course it mattered. No one saw Loui falling off a cliff like he did, not even you. 

*Ahem* :P

To be fair though, as much as I was against it, even I didn't think he'd suck THIS hard.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I know a few things. tbh with the amount you and others complain about Benning I find it hard to believe, yes. When people are constantly complaining about a GM anything credible gets lost in the noise for me. 

So because you disagree with my overall opinion on Benning, you don't think it would be possible for me or anyone else to predict that the Eriksson signing would turn out bad?

Alright lol

Just now, kanucks25 said:

So because you disagree with my overall opinion on Benning, you don't think it would be possible for me or anyone else to predict that the Eriksson signing would turn out bad?

Alright lol

there was nothing in Loui's history to predict such a major cliff dive. You'd be making it up from no evidence. 

Now thats different from thinking Loui wasn't a fit for the Sedins, there was at least one other person here who saw that. 

But yes, the constant firehose of negativity from some people does make me tune them out. 2288 e.g., his take on Green was obnoxious. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there was nothing in Loui's history to predict such a major cliff dive. You'd be making it up from no evidence. 

Wrong side of his prime, injury (including concussion) history. It wasn't a major leap; perhaps you should reevaluate how you evaluate players/free agents instead of claiming that it's not possible for you to be wrong?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don't think anyone is saying we don't have cap issues.   JB saved this off season by not overdoing it last one.   

Your absolutely correct with Podz.   A lot of his game is what happens when he's on the ice other then production (much like Brady T).   A 6'4" Motte with elite skills.    His floor is very high, same with his ceiling, for sure there is a lot of hope that he will make an impact.   BB was ranked 22 after his Hobey Baker season, Hogs 30 before he came in - Podz was 10 the year before (and that's with three drafts worth of players)...Same as QHs.  

I for one, am bullish on Podz.   Have been since the draft before we got him. 

Edit:  The fact he's grown into the same frame Linden had, 6'4" 210, is a big bonus too.   Hopefully that power forward we've been waiting a long time for, that's his game anyways. 

I do hope Podkolzin pans out for the team but, like I said, there are many here already slotting him as a Top 6 player next season and that probably won't happen immediately. That said I do have high hopes for him and crossing my fingers he could be The Canuck's Mikko Rantanen. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Wrong side of his prime, injury (including concussion) history. It wasn't a major leap; perhaps you should reevaluate how you evaluate players/free agents instead of claiming that it's not possible for you to be wrong?

lots of players are good into their mid-30s. Loui didn't have that much of an injury history, thats a reach. He had also been a terrific producer having 5 seasons over 60 points, on two different teams. Again, "reach". 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lots of players are good into their mid-30s. Loui didn't have that much of an injury history, thats a reach. He had also been a terrific producer having 5 seasons over 60 points, on two different teams. Again, "reach". 

Wrong side of 30.

Already 10 seasons in the league.

Had a concussion.

There are a lot of miles there. I'm not saying a player with a similar track record couldn't have produced just fine for the first 3-4 years of the deal (which is another problem here) but it's not a "reach" to think that it would turn sour.

Again, you're essentially saying just because you didn't think it, it couldn't be. Which is pretty arrogant, to say the least. Seems more like you lacked information, or failed to evaluate it properly. Look up recent trends in the NHL when it comes to prime ages / production by age / etc. if need be.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Wrong side of 30.

Already 10 seasons in the league.

Had a concussion.

There are a lot of miles there. I'm not saying a player with a similar track record couldn't have produced just fine for the first 3-4 years of the deal (which is another problem here) but it's not a "reach" to think that it would turn sour.

Again, you're essentially saying just because you didn't think it, it couldn't be. Which is pretty arrogant, to say the least. Seems more like you lacked information, or failed to evaluate it properly. Look up recent trends in the NHL when it comes to prime ages / production by age / etc. if need be.

meh, you're the one being arrogant here. Go ahead and predict all of this off seasons deals for us, lets see how you make out. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, you're the one being arrogant here. Go ahead and predict all of this off seasons deals for us, lets see how you make out. 

Not the same thing as what we're talking about and you know it, you're just upset.

• Haha 1