The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The Aq family is worth 3+B and their major holdings are in real estate.  Maybe you haven't paid attention to what real estate prices have done in the last 2 years...

To be clear the Aquilinis are worth more today than they were 2 years ago and the 25m they lost on the Canucks this year is not consequential to their overall balance sheet.

Don't just type garbage please.

Real estate is not liquid money. Stupid to judge someone's wealth based on real estate prices. 

For all we know they may have money flow issues but I ain't an accountant and don't really follow their other ventures. 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The Aq family is worth 3+B and their major holdings are in real estate.  Maybe you haven't paid attention to what real estate prices have done in the last 2 years...

To be clear the Aquilinis are worth more today than they were 2 years ago and the 25m they lost on the Canucks this year is not consequential to their overall balance sheet.

Don't just type garbage please.

This is more accurate. The pandemic and their canucks related losses in franchise value/year over year give them the excuse to penny pinch and no one really complains because it's true that they are in the red and people aren't flocking to seats, but there is no question that these guys are stupid rich and their other holdings are doing insanely well.

Just now, combover said:

All the bad contracts were signed by JB 

So  the team will be good when his signing come off the books. Lol

makes sense 

I’m sure the guy who’s proven he can’t manage a salary cap won’t try to blow it all on the first ufa ( OEL last summer) to pile on more dead money 

So next year they will be good?

• Cheers 3

Ownership bringing the Sedins into the fold is like when Bettman brought up the Sedins to the stage during the 2019 draft lmao...

It's not going to prevent the backlash of this decision. Benning is the stooge of the Aquilini's, so this move is unsurprising. 

On the upside, Shane Wright is draft eligible in 2022.

Another upside is that I can focus less on the team now while working on a few other hobbies I've been putting off.

Edited by Darkstar
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah or they might even be saying “GO CANUCKS GO!!” 

Yeah. It's actually my hope it goes that way. The tweet has a lot of ifs in it.

I'm of the belief that Benning got unnecessarily handcuffed this season by ownership but I also believe there's been a huge rift between players and management because of how they handled the coronavirus situation and even some of the coaching contract extensions (the fact that Thatcher Demko and Mikey Dipetrio have both had to go to the media to plead for Ian Clark to get an extension is an absolute embarrassment to the organization).

I just think there's a real possibility this tweet becomes a reality next year. But I also feel like it's good not to make a reactionary move now. Draft isn't until Mid July so there's time to assess where things go from here.

3 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Real estate is not liquid money. Stupid to judge someone's wealth based on real estate prices. 

For all we know they may have money flow issues but I ain't an accountant and don't really follow their other ventures. 

There's a concept called leverage...

27 minutes ago, BPA said:

My guess is it's LE.

He was shelved all season on the Taxi squad.  He can't be too happy about that.

If there's any truth to the amateur slop this media market peddles - and it is him - he's welcome to fly straight home - and stay there.

Wouldn't surprise me to see hacks like Jeff Patterson flip flop and come white knighting to LE's cause.

No hate for LE here either - he simply didn't belong in the lineup, and should probably hang them up - after the 30 million he's made for a combined 38 goals and 90 pts in 5 seasons - does he have any reason to feel hard done by?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I mean, the first one was so successful. :lol:

As much of a joke that banner was and the fact they are scamming a system that’s suppose to help a person in need, it even looked pretty pathetic floating around lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

well here's craig button saying he did a good job.  

Now we like button because he’s saying what you want to hear. Classic.

didn’t get say something a few weeks back and he was a fool.

lol

Maybe he’s going to be a Gm for another nhl team easy pickings from dim Jim 

• RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

As much of a joke that banner was and the fact they are scamming a system that’s suppose to help a person in need, it even looked pretty pathetic floating around lol

Agreed - only good out of that was the apparent donation made to the Children’s Hospital.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So next year they will be good?

No the bad contracts don’t come off next year.

and we will have a fresh batch of bad contracts after this summer 

But it’s ok those because 2 years from two years ago and two years from now maybe we will be but only if we don’t run out of time with foundational players 

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Everyone panic, queue the meltdowns.  All the bad things are happening.

Someone make a wellness check on Squamish and see if they're ok

He's at the airport, gassing up the plane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1