The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Gotcha.    One thing i will say, it's virtually impossible to draft a team with BPA alone.   No way will, for example the goalie and D's present themselves early on, followed by the franchise C and wingers needed to create a contender, always the GM will have to look to trades or free agency as well while building.    It's also very difficult to create a new core in five drafts too.    Even if every first worked out and became your number one goalie, your number one and  two defenseman, your prized C and trigger man...doesn't happen very often anyways.    Why it often takes parts of two cores to create a contender. 

Even the CHI teams needed to round out their team with Hossa, Sharp, Campbell etc ... it's not all ever getting drafted over a short period.   Takes a lot of years.   JB used two firsts to get OEL and Miller, plus clear cap etc.   So with his picks added he's got:

Miller EP BB (our first line) 

Pearson   ?  Hogs

? Dickinson - Podz

Gadj/Mcewen ? ?

OEL - ?

QHs - ?
OJ/Rathbone ?

Demko

Or to summarize 5 of our top six and 7 of our top 9.   

3/6 of our D's and one on each line. 

And our starter.   That's not bad.   It's actually crazy good really.  

Agreed.

I'm just wondering if folks would want to change two, maybe three forward prospects from over the last seven years, and if so, who might those replacement d-man prospects be. Using the Virtanen example (once again), I suspect that he would be replaced by a different forward and not a d-man prospect, so the cupboard doesn't get any fuller in that particular instance. Would anyone have wanted one of Fleury, Honka, Sanheim or DeAngelo over say Nylander or Ehlers?

A 2015, 20/20 hindsight trade had Baertschi coming to Vancouver for a 2nd (which turned out to be Rasmus Andersson). This was a good trade for the Canucks until the injuries started piling up on Baertschi. Had Andersson been selected by the Canucks, he would have fit in nicely on the right side.

As was noted earlier (by @Imm), Kole Lind was taken 33rd in 2017. Would anyone prefer that the Canucks had taken the guy selected with the 34th pick, Nicolas Hague? I would, without hesitation. 

From what I saw from my scan from back then, there often weren't that many higher quality d-men available when the Canucks were picking in these last 7 years, so a forward was the better choice. And once again, I like Juolevi, but Sergachev being available.....

Had the Canucks drafted Sergachev and Hague, and they had not traded the pick which got Calgary Andersson (and assuming that they had all worked out, which would be an unknown at the time), then a lot of the size/grit issues on the team would have been addressed. *Just to make things clear, I'm not doing a Benning bashing here*

Result

- Insert Sergachev in place of Juolevi, add Hague over Lind, and Andersson in place of Baertschi (remove any production by Baertschi and find a replacement) gives the Canucks the makings of a pretty good defense.

- Still draft Hughes and Woo? Probably, and most certainly Woo for the right side. Potentially(?) the Canucks could even pass on Hughes in favor of someone else, or maybe even trade the pick (depending on the return).

- What about Rathbone? Possibly, but his offensive potential would be of lesser value than it currently is, and is there anyone on this potential list which he would play ahead of on the left side? Nope.

- Also, probably don't trade for Ekman-Larsson, which saves on cap space. Do the Canucks still get Garland?

- Speaking of cap, there'd also be UFA signings which might be different due to these three changes. (eg. Meyers)

From what I recall, weren't many of the d-men prospects which the Canucks have had over the years were undrafted college players?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 2

On 8/30/2021 at 3:12 PM, iceman64 said:

Showed there were/are a lot of fans who aren't that bright, reminds me how everyone lost their $&!# about the JT Miller trade.. 

Jb is a terrible  gm he got a phone call to tell him he isn’t going to be fired lol. You don’t get or need that call if your doing a good job. 

so Jim did what Jim does handcuff the team with contracts, he got a past his prime 30 year old on a terrible contract for another 6 years . signed a #six Poolman for 4 years 

and will be tight to the cap with our best young players still yet to be signed . 
Jb better hope his team isn’t struggling in November the leash for this perineal loser/failure will be short and even shorter will be the patience from fans who were already done with the endless list of excuses. 

You can cherry pick his very limited success but the proof is 7 seasons of sucking while being capped and handcuffed with veteran contracts he signed. 

Edited by combover
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 4

1 hour ago, combover said:

Jb is a terrible  gm he got a phone call to tell him he isn’t going to be fired lol. You don’t get or need that call if your doing a good job. 

so Jim did what Jim does handcuff the team with contracts, he got a past his prime 30 year old on a terrible contract for another 6 years . signed a #six Poolman for 4 years 

and will be tight to the cap with our best young players still yet to be signed . 
Jb better hope his team isn’t struggling in November the leash for this perineal loser/failure will be short and even shorter will be the patience from fans who were already done with the endless list of excuses. 

You can cherry pick his very limited success but the proof is 7 seasons of sucking while being capped and handcuffed with veteran contracts he signed. 

have you actually looked at the roster lately? you can whine about past mistakes, sure. But the improvement in whats on the ice is undeniable. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

so how do you know Jim got a phone call? you don't so stop pretending

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

The court jester makes another post.

image.gif.11fba0d046d688fb335ff4a64f7e6787.gif

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

It's easier to get decent d-men as UFAs than forwards. I think that Benning waited to build the D last. He got us good goalies and forwards and still got decent picks because our D was never good enough to be contending. We can hindsight til the cows come home and it won't change anything.

lmao

• RoughGame 1

from fans who were already done with the endless list of excuses. 

In order for me to better understand what you are saying:

Please list all the excuses Jim Benning has made over the years. Quotes would be fine.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

It's easier to get decent d-men as UFAs than forwards. I think that Benning waited to build the D last. He got us good goalies and forwards and still got decent picks because our D was never good enough to be contending. We can hindsight til the cows come home and it won't change anything. We are finally stepping into our window of competitiveness and contending. Our older core members still have 5 or so good years left and possibly more depending on health. Our younger core members aren't even in their prime yet.

I guess that won't stop the negative fans from looking for things to complain about though.

I actually think it's not at all easy to find decent UFA d's.   They are prized.   Much easier to find forwards.   But it's also a lot harder to find D's via drafting too.   Why i've been a huge supporter of Myers since day one.   He's going to give us the same exact defense, since the day we got him until his contract is up i'm almost certain of that.   And i'm sure we will miss him when he's gone.  Looks at Trouba lol... or even Dumba who the CDC coveted but has since left alone... Nobody seemed upset of Edlers last deal and Myers isn't much different - he's better at some stuff and and worse at others.   And we have him until Edlers first year of his last deal.   With the costs just going through the roof despite flat cap for blue chip d's ... what we have will have to do. 

Talk is cheap (though perhaps fun sometimes).  I'm looking forward to see how it plays out on the ice.  That's the real test.  At this point the past doesn't matter, it's all about what's to come.  And as far as I can tell the future that Jim has built for this hockey club looks pretty good.  But, like I said, it's all about what happens on the ice, not opinions, nor what happens in boardrooms, nor phantom phone calls.  I can't wait for the season to begin to see how it all plays out.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Talk is cheap (though perhaps fun sometimes).  I'm looking forward to see how it plays out on the ice.  That's the real test.  At this point the past doesn't matter, it's all about what's to come.  And as far as I can tell the future that Jim has built for this hockey club looks pretty good.  But, like I said, it's all about what happens on the ice, not opinions, nor what happens in boardrooms, nor phantom phone calls.  I can't wait for the season to begin to see how it all plays out.  Go Canucks Go!

This is exactly true. All the excuses and rebuilding is behind us. THIS is the team that Benning has built, and now it's time for him to get either his just rewards and recognition, or fired. 

I also feel this team looks pretty good. I'm happy with our forward lines, though I can't help think our D still needs an addition of a biggish, bonafide shutdown defender like a Lindholm or Pesce. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, combover said:

You sir, are so short sighted it's ridiculous.. 

Exhibit A:

JB did not take over this team with free reigns, count how many locked up contracts there were when he took over, seriously go look...

Exhibit B: 

As the contracts came off one by one, JB got on ice mentors and some grit to protect them, was he perfect at it no BUT last season as an example, who got run over and injured like as usual over the years? 

Exhibit C: 

Finally this team NOW how it ended up is a playoff team, look at the roster and see a team that is capable of making the playoffs every year that will continue to get better with experience with the new players no matter who is GM at this point as long as it stays together. 

You may have a woody on for listening to the BS of the Media but you might actually try thinking for yourself, wait, if your response IS thinking for yourself, your in trouble. Get over the hate already! geez..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I actually think it's not at all easy to find decent UFA d's.   They are prized.   Much easier to find forwards.   But it's also a lot harder to find D's via drafting too.   Why i've been a huge supporter of Myers since day one.   He's going to give us the same exact defense, since the day we got him until his contract is up i'm almost certain of that.   And i'm sure we will miss him when he's gone.  Looks at Trouba lol... or even Dumba who the CDC coveted but has since left alone... Nobody seemed upset of Edlers last deal and Myers isn't much different - he's better at some stuff and and worse at others.   And we have him until Edlers first year of his last deal.   With the costs just going through the roof despite flat cap for blue chip d's ... what we have will have to do. 

and Myers is 6'8, big enough to clear Demmer's crease of necessary, that's his best asset value overlooked by almost everyone.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

long live the queen. — luke-skywalker: #Polka-Dot Man is already my...

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Defense is difficult and time consuming to fill out which is why it must be done first. 

The Tyler Mottes are a dime a dozen and can fill so many holes. He can almost play every spot ( other than 1 & 2 C) up front in a pinch.

Luke Schenn on the other hand is an extremely effective and important piece on any team, but would get slaughtered pulling in top minutes.

• Cheers 1